↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Bfg alternatives?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
NineCherries

Scotland 2000 Defender 110 2.5 TD CSW Oslo Blue
Bfg alternatives?
Firstly I'll apologies for another "what tyre" post but my head is pickled trying to narrow things down.

The shoes on my 110 are looking passed their best and I was looking to change them before winter arrives but I've got the dilemma quite a few others have, availability and crazy price.
I've been reading lots n lots online trying to narrow down an alternative brand, tyre, size that will fit the bill to replace my 235/85r16 bfg all terrain ko, (and 1 ko2)

I found them listed but they are north of £250 a corner, which I'm struggling to justify. Other places have them listed a bit cheaper but they are out of stock or I'd be buying on back order.

My head and heart want different things so I need a compromise 😵‍💫 as I would like mud terrains for the looks but as I know most of my time is on road at the moment, that's not the sensible option. Any good aggressive looking all terrains that you guys would suggest?

My wish list is
3pms, I'm up in central Scotland. Usually just cold , wet, slushy over winter with the occasional heavy snow day but you never know, I never want to be stranded in snow in the landy, my pride couldn't take it 🤣🤣
Have good wet (and dry) grip on road (no point running an amazing looking tyre and I can't go round a corner) but still be useable on an off-road club day.
Ideally have a chunky/aggressive look and ideally sidewall
Not costing the earth
And be available

Lifespan of the tyre isn't as big a concern for me as I don't do massive mileage each year and one of the reasons I'm changing the bfg's is they are very old (7yr) and starting to go hard and crack. No point having a tyre I never wear out.

Tyres I've considered, in no particular order, are
General grabber at/x (currently top of my list if price and availability work out)
Insa ranger (looks just like the bfg ko)
Davanti terratoura (read a post about them on here earlier)
Goodyear wrangler
Bfg ko2 (silly priced and low availability)
Cooper discoverer (not much cheaper than the bfg's I've found)
Maxxis bighorn (don't think it's 3pms)
Maxxis wormdrive (again don't think it's 3pms)

But I'm fully open to real world suggestions. I'd go to a slightly wider/taller tyre but Ive no real need or want to lift the suspension or fit wheel spaces so I kinda need to be careful. I'm not opposed to a remould if they are ok in the wet.

What does the hive mind suggest?
Thanks in advance Tony.
Post #969412 30th Oct 2022 1:17pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I'm not sure that it suits your rugged looks requirement but performance wise, the General Grabber AT3 will do all that you need. I've got them on my 110 and it's an excellent tyre. The X3 is more of a mud terrain. It is winter rated but even General's own blurb suggests that it's not going to be as good on the road as the AT3.

https://www.generaltire.co.uk/car/news/gen...rabber-at3 Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #969423 30th Oct 2022 3:51pm
NineCherries

I'll give it a look.
Thanks for the suggestion, it's appreciated, there are so many options out there I'm trying to narrow it down,
Thanks
Post #969469 30th Oct 2022 7:14pm
snowtiger

Germany 
Have a look at this review:
https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2022-T...e-Test.htm

I am going for the Pirelli in the near future, mainly because of the aggressive look and the 3PMS.
Post #969476 30th Oct 2022 7:27pm
kenzle8a

I’ve had Grabbler At3s and KO2s, I’d be happy with the Grabblers again (I’m also in central Scotland).
Post #969484 30th Oct 2022 8:58pm
NineCherries

Much appreciated folks I'll look into them too.
Post #969497 30th Oct 2022 10:41pm
Mitch16

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
500 miles into using General Grabber AT3s and very impressed. Used on tarmac in dry and very wet conditions, grass fields and farm tracks. Never had any problems, very quiet too.

Not tried in cold or snow yet but will update if that happens (I live in the south!)
Post #969498 30th Oct 2022 10:57pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
I have some bugs ko2s for sale soon. 6 to 8mm on them. 235.85. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #969499 30th Oct 2022 10:58pm
Jabberwocky

Luxembourg 
Another General Grabber AT3 user here, not had them that long, about 800 miles, but so far so good. Quiet, seem good in the wet, not been off road in them yet, but on road seem good.
Post #971456 17th Nov 2022 5:43pm
murph81

Ireland 2007 Defender 110 Td5 PU Belize Green
No mention of Toyo open country?

They are well priced compared to the BFG's and get great reviews.
Post #971459 17th Nov 2022 6:00pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
I have the Toyo MT and I'm very impressed with them. Not done a huge mileage with them as only on the V8 but they're quiet and handle well on tarmac. I paid £105 per corner for 255's and for the money couldn't be more impressed. James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #971471 17th Nov 2022 7:01pm
MarkBrown

United Kingdom 1983 Defender 110 Other HT Auto Keswick Green
A vote for the Toyo Open Country MT from me to, quiet and not too aggressive they grip well. They look like they'll do about 20k. Kumho MT 51 were good too. BFG MT are just expensive and don't last any longer in my experience. I also liked the Cooper STT, but they were replaced by the ST MAXX which I didn't like.

By far the best were BFG macadams which were on a Jeep Cherokee I use to have, they were fantastic in the wet, but probably useless elsewhere.

Worn out (5mm) all terrains are hopeless in the mud/ wet grass though, whereas worn out MT's will still get you by at the legal limit.

That's my experience anyway. Hope this helps.
Post #972929 30th Nov 2022 12:52pm
Chris86

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 USW Chawton White
Davanti Terratoura AT is a superb allrounder- and 3 peak rated.

Can personally vouch for them in the snow (-20 Finnish snow.....), and also for wet and dry road performance.

As I mentioned elsewhere, Davanti worked really hard tweaking the tread pattern and the compound to get it "just right" and getting the balance of all round performance right.

For the price they are superb.

We currently have Toyo Open country MT on both of our vehicles which are used on and off road- often for delivering off road driver training, I swapped to them following issues with my last set of BFG KM2s

For a mud terrain they are very well mannered on the road- the difference on wet road particularly driven back to back with the previous set of BFGs (with less than 2k wear before getting binned....) was pretty stark, especially under braking.

The L200 has just pushed over 20k miles on the Toyos, and I would say they are approximately 50% worn- I need to rotate them as the fronts are starting to show a bit of shoulder wear (which the L200 tends to do to all tyres)

The 110 has done about 5k miles and the tyres still look virtually new except a bit of rock rash from off road use.

My only comment on the Toyos is that they are very pressure sensitive, the 110 rides awfully if you run the manufacturers standard pressures on 255/85/16 so I had to faff about to get the balance right for on road.

Chris

Chris
Post #972974 30th Nov 2022 6:46pm
MarkBrown

United Kingdom 1983 Defender 110 Other HT Auto Keswick Green
Chris 86 what pressure do you run the Toyos at on the 110? I run mine at 28. Thanks Mark
Post #972977 30th Nov 2022 6:56pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Chris86 wrote:
Davanti Terratoura AT is a superb allrounder- and 3 peak rated.

Can personally vouch for them in the snow (-20 Finnish snow.....), and also for wet and dry road performance.

As I mentioned elsewhere, Davanti worked really hard tweaking the tread pattern and the compound to get it "just right" and getting the balance of all round performance right.

For the price they are superb.

I am seriously tempted with a set of these when the BFG ATs get a bit lower. Mind you still wish someone did something in the UK that resembled an AT in 255/85/16... The Toyo MTs are great tyres but just too aggressive for daily driving.
Post #972978 30th Nov 2022 7:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>