↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Which tyres for a single ski trip
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
For one slow trip, OK. New AT tires are technically legal, but real winter tires are somethink totally different. Deep snow is not the biggest problem, but old snow compacted into ice. LR will drive, but only stright, no brakes, no steering.
Older AT tires are hard and even less usable. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "Blufínek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #969096 27th Oct 2022 7:50pm
kenzle8a

Most of the AT’s are 3 peak marked (BFG KO2, General Grabbler AT3, Conti Cross, Cooper Discoverer AT3 etc)
Post #969101 27th Oct 2022 8:18pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I agree with MadTom. Proper winters and to an extent some all-seasons are an order of magnitude safer on compacted snow and ice. The 3pmsf marking cannot be relied on as an indicator of cold weather performance alone, you need to read the manufacturer information to see what conditions they are intended for. The BFG AT and the Nokian Hakkapalitta both have the marking, but only the Nokian is really suitable for snow and ice conditions. I’ve used winter and all season tyres for many many years and they are a revelation when compared to the white knuckle experience of driving on summer, at or worst of all mud terrains on an icy road.

The other thing to consider is what are the consequences if you were to have an accident on tyres that aren’t 3pmsf marked? I don’t know the law where you are going, but could that land you in trouble with police or your insurance? 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #969106 27th Oct 2022 8:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12