Home > Td5 > Steering wheel removal
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Lionel

Australia 
Steering wheel removal
Hi All,

I'm having difficulty removing the steering wheel in my 2004 110 TD5.

No amount of banging etc, is having any effect, so I need to use a puller & would like to know whether anyone can tell me the size of the 2 threaded holes in the wheel boss which the puller has to be attached to.

They seem to be M6 size, but with a different thread pitch. Any information as to the correct size & thread type would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Lionel
Post #968830 25th Oct 2022 3:56am
Lodelaner

United Kingdom 1988 Defender 90 V8 Petrol ST Shire Blue
I've never used percussion or a puller, just backed the nut out a couple of turns and then with both arms behind the wheel, and with feet wedged in the pedal box, pulled/grunted/wigged it off the splines. JB

@Lodelaner Instagram

Youtube greenlaning and other LR related content
Post #968837 25th Oct 2022 8:33am
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
The threads on all defenders should be M6 x 1 as far as I am aware. Might be the threads on yours are damaged from someone previously trying to use the wrong bolts? 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
84' 90 3.9 V8 Caged Pickup Build Thread - Now For Sale

Mobile Diesel Heater Build Thread
Post #968838 25th Oct 2022 8:43am
PCM

United Kingdom 
These are perfect. Makes a tricky job 5 minutes.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125553802724?mk...media=COPY
Post #968839 25th Oct 2022 8:48am
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
Well that tool implies they are UNF so I may well be wrong Embarassed 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
84' 90 3.9 V8 Caged Pickup Build Thread - Now For Sale

Mobile Diesel Heater Build Thread
Post #968840 25th Oct 2022 8:54am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
I made mine with 3 bolts and a piece of bar, and the threads were M6. If you are having trouble with the threads try running a tap down them. It could be that there is just some dirt/rust/plastic folding fouling them.

If you try banging and yanking of the wheel make sure you keep the nut fitted a few turns on to the column so if it suddenly goes you don't break your nose Wink
Post #968842 25th Oct 2022 9:18am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Be thankful you have the holes for the puller, the late flat steering wheels do not and can be very awkward to remove.

When you refit the wheel, do not make the all-to-common mistake of overtightening the nut. The wheel is splined and fits on a taper, and there is no need whatsoever to do the nut up as though the future safety of the human race depends on it being as tight as possible! I also always put a smear of anti-seize on the spline and taper before fitting one, it makes life a little easier in the future.

It's been my experience that the steering wheel centre nut is on the list of the top three most overtightened nuts on vehicles, along with wheel nuts and spark plugs.

Pay heed to Geobloke's sage warning about leaving the nut on when pulling on the wheel, over the years many people have had a steering wheel in the face when the wheel finally comes off, I am told that it is painful and seldom improves your looks....
Post #968846 25th Oct 2022 9:47am
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
M6 and 1/4 UNF are very similar sized and pitched, but not identical of course.
I made a mistake once where needed to tap M6 in a new hole, so started M6 #1 tap, M6 #2 tap, but #3 I picked up a UNF 1/4. There were practically no more threads left Big Cry 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #968847 25th Oct 2022 9:56am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Goodness I have never been referred to as sage Shocked Rolling with laughter

I will give you an extra bit of advice for when you get the steering wheel off. There is a centring hole in the steering box and associated notch in the drop arm (I believe the hole in the steering box is 8mm), line these up before refiting the steering wheel nut and lock in place. Then centre your steering wheel. Tighten nut to 43Nm and don't forget the spring washer.

Nothing more irritating than a steering wheel fit just off centre... Thumbs Up
Post #968850 25th Oct 2022 10:00am
Lionel

Australia 
geobloke wrote:
I made mine with 3 bolts and a piece of bar, and the threads were M6. If you are having trouble with the threads try running a tap down them. It could be that there is just some dirt/rust/plastic folding fouling them.

If you try banging and yanking of the wheel make sure you keep the nut fitted a few turns on to the column so if it suddenly goes you don't break your nose Wink

The threads seem pretty good. Certainly no dirt/rust etc. The M6 bolt goes in quite happily for about 2 turns & then starts to jam. Exactly the same on each threaded hole, so I am pretty confident that the threads are not metric M6.

The local (AU) forum members are suggesting 1/4 inch UNF. (?)

BTW it is a D type wheel, by the look of it. The trim pad has 4 lugs to hold it in. (easily removed).

The main nut was quite easy to remove, but the wheel is immovable on the splines applying all banging, wiggling & stout blows from a rubber hammer!

Cheers,

Lionel
Post #968851 25th Oct 2022 10:05am
blackwolf

geobloke wrote:
Goodness I have never been referred to as sage Shocked Rolling with laughter

I will give you an extra bit of advice for when you get the steering wheel off. There is a centring hole in the steering box and associated notch in the drop arm (I believe the hole in the steering box is 8mm), line these up before refiting the steering wheel nut and lock in place. Then centre your steering wheel. Tighten nut to 43Nm and don't forget the spring washer.

Nothing more irritating than a steering wheel fit just off centre... Thumbs Up

There's a first time for everything! Rolling with laughter

Not all vehicle have the centring feature, unfortunately, and it seems to be rather random whether it is is present or not, in particular many drop arms lack the notch. It's a really useful thing to have and always worth checking.
Post #968853 25th Oct 2022 10:19am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Hi Lionel. Are you keeping the steering wheel or junking it?

Modified method 1: Unscrew the nut but leave it on a few threads. Person 1 pulls backwards (as straight as possible). Person 2 grabs a large diameter punch, slots down centre of nut on to steering shaft and gives the shaft (not the threads) a damn good thwack. The combination of backwards pressure and sharp hit may shock the wheel off. It is essentially the same method used to separate TRE ball joints.

Method 2: Heat might be a solution, but could adversely affect the wheel if you are planning on keeping it. Not an open flame but a heat gun. Then quench it with iced water. The shock may free it up.

Remember that splined shafts hate to be separated if pulled in any other way but directly in-line. The splines bind. So make sure you pull straight.

Such a pain when they bind.
Post #968855 25th Oct 2022 10:24am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
blackwolf wrote:
There's a first time for everything! Rolling with laughter

Not all vehicle have the centring feature, unfortunately, and it seems to be rather random whether it is is present or not, in particular many drop arms lack the notch. It's a really useful thing to have and always worth checking.

I bet that is a Puma thing Wink Fancy comfy soft Defenders Wink
Post #968856 25th Oct 2022 10:25am
blackwolf

No doubt. "Value engineering" at its worst. Big Cry
Post #968857 25th Oct 2022 10:38am
jpboost

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
My 2014 110 has the notch in the drop arm so I don't think it's consistent across even the Pumas, but as others have said I imagine this may be luck rather than anything else...

I've never (yet) had a steering wheel (across Landrovers and other cars) that hasn't come off with a (forceful) rocking motion. Maybe I've just been lucky?
Post #968859 25th Oct 2022 11:40am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>