↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Faults & Fixes (L663) > Clicking/Ticking Noise Whilst Turning Left Or Right And Full
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
mmbanf

Italy 
Clicking/Ticking Noise Whilst Turning Left Or Right And Full
Good morning everyone,
This is exactly what happens to me: Clicking/Ticking Noise Whilst Turning Left Or Right And Full Lock At Low Speeds.
in my case, in particular in reverse when parking, turning the steering wheel all the way to the left. Has this happened to any other forum user?

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I saw there is a bulletin: https://www.tsbsearch.com/Land-Rover/SSM75779

they say that the four bolts that hold the front hub need to be replaced (unfortunately they are very difficult to replace........, they are very hard and difficult to access), it seems so unlikely to me that these bolts could be the cause of the clicking noise in discontinuous reverse.

Thank you

Marco
Post #1015358 16th Nov 2023 7:08pm
Will.I.AM

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Kaikoura Stone
Could it be the clutch pack in the TC needing calibrating?

I know it isn't the same car but i had this in a discovery 3 and it was a lutch binding in the TC, it gave a wind up wymptom that you woud get from a LT230 in a disco/defender etc.

If it is just a light tick then could be a cv or somthing but if it is more of a jolt which you can feel throguh the car then i would get the TC calibrated or oil checked. Defender 130 HCPU TD5
Post #1015388 17th Nov 2023 8:47am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mmbanf

Italy 
hi, thanks for the reply,
the problem is this clicking noise, not a shock, it is a light noise that is barely audible (my wife can't hear it...), it can be heard even with the car stationary, turning the steering wheel to the right and left.
I think it could be an incorrect tightening of the wheel hub bolts as reported in the technical bulletin.
Post #1015977 22nd Nov 2023 7:52am
mmbanf

Italy 
update, problem solved with the replacement of the four hub bolts, curious that when driving the car the noise seemed to come from the left side (driver for me), raising the car and removing the bulkheads the noise was on the right. replaced the right hub bolts, noise disappeared. Thumbs Up

Marco
Post #1016244 24th Nov 2023 12:25pm
DazzlerAU

Australia 
I have this same issue, front right side. Dealer couldn't isolate it at my last service. Is this a big job? Maybe I should show them the TSB?
Post #1024951 16th Feb 2024 9:34pm
mmbanf

Italy 
hi, I solved it.

to make a diagnosis I put the car on the lift with the platforms, I tried to turn the wheels and identify the origin of the noise.

Click image to enlarge

First I changed the hub bolts, it's a difficult job, it requires a very high tightening torque.
Despite this, there was still a click when I turned the wheels to the right and left with the car stopped.
I looked for other solutions, in particular I replaced these lower protection clips as you can see, when you rotate the wheels they probably flex and make noise, changed them all, tightened the bolts well, noise disappeared.

I inserted anything else I found, please tighten the wheel bolts in star order and to the recommended torque.

Marco

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #1025037 17th Feb 2024 9:06pm
mmbanf

Italy 
DazzlerAU wrote:
I have this same issue, front right side. Dealer couldn't isolate it at my last service. Is this a big job? Maybe I should show them the TSB?

were you able to solve it?

Marco
Post #1032340 21st Apr 2024 8:19pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1