↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > INEOS Grenadier > Hydrogen powered Grenadier?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
spudfan

Ireland 
Hydrogen powered Grenadier?
A hydrogen fuelled version?

"Ineos Automotive has one more important task before the end of the year. The automaker will begin on- and off-road testing of the Grenadier Fuel Cell Electric Vehicle (FCEV) Concept with a hydrogen fuel cell powertrain. We will hopefully learn more about it in the coming weeks."
From here, bottom paragraph.
https://www.msn.com/en-ie/cars/news/ineos-...a2f2a592e9 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #968353 19th Oct 2022 7:37pm
Setok

Finland 
People say we don’t have the charging network for BEVs, and then say hydrogen is the future. Hydrogen pumps are practically non-existent and almost nobody is investing in them. Plus you give up being able to charge at home (which covers over 90% of a normal person’s needs). Electricity actually has the largest utility network of anything, ready to be used. Hydrogen is much less efficient than batteries for converting to electricity. The only thing going for it is weight and volume, which may have a role in aerospace and in big industry machinery. But I just can’t see it making serious inroads for personal transport.

So perhaps fleet owners with other big hydrogen machinery might benefit from this, but the world is moving a different direction.

Now obviously from INEOS’s point of view, as a chemicals company, they’d prefer for hydrogen to be the future. But I’m not convinced this is the right direction for the Grenadier, much as I love what else they have done with it.
Post #968358 19th Oct 2022 8:20pm
Bowbearer

United Kingdom 1985 Defender 110 200 Tdi SW Auto Baltic Blue
Hydrogen is an interesting debate.

JCB are converting their Tractors to run on it and are encouraging farmers to invest in Hydrogen tank infrastructure instead of oil. If Inios are going after this market it may work.

The Germans are looking to invest in Big Hydrogen plants and here in the UK Bacton Gas terminal is looking at producing green electricity for Hydrogen production.

I think pure electric cars are a political stop gap to give governments time to plan ahead and appear green.

Glad the Grenadier has hit production and they are talking Hydrogen, anything in the "green" car power options is good.
Post #968397 20th Oct 2022 9:53am
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
I can see hydrogen being great for storing excess energy from other generators such as wind or tide.
Yet to be convinced of the merits of using it for passenger cars. That said, we have a delivery of oil for our heating every few months and there are plenty of people with gas tanks in their garden. Any thoughts on the volume of hydrogen required for an annual 10,000 miles?
Post #968401 20th Oct 2022 10:16am
Setok

Finland 
I remember someone calculating the amount of hydrogen needed and you will need a very and very expensive tank if you want to store your annual need. It’s just not something a regular consumer is going to do. Hydrogen fuel stations are a lot more expensive than petrol ones, and of course excessively expensive compared to electric.

BEVs are not a stop gap, they’re the end goal. Hybrids were maybe stop gap. Of course at some point in time we may get something even better but that is where the industry is going. Hydrogen doesn’t have any real benefits for personal use compared to batteries, and has significant drawbacks. Remember fuel cell cars are electric too, they just use an inefficient way to store electricity. People are just so used to ‘pumping stuff’ that they seem stuck in that model.

As mentioned there may be a case for heavy industry, although there is still debate. For those users a hydrogen Grenadier might make sense, but I don’t see the general public going for it, or even farmers necessarily (it’s just too handy to charge things at home).
Post #968435 20th Oct 2022 1:18pm
rtm89

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Galway Green
I guess the flip side of all of this is that 10 years ago there were virtually no electric car chargers especially not on peoples drives.
Hydrogen stations would become more commonplace as companies develop them more and they become more efficient.

An interesting concept would be a hydrogen/electric hybrid effectively being a dual fuel. You could plug in at home and when the electric ran out the hydrogen works as a generator to recharge the battery as well as a second fuel to keep you running which you would top up at a fuel station.

The worlds changing but I'll keep plodding around in my 2.4 Thumbs Up
Post #968446 20th Oct 2022 3:32pm
Bowbearer

United Kingdom 1985 Defender 110 200 Tdi SW Auto Baltic Blue
JCB have converted their Diesel engines to run on Hydrogen. Same efficiency. no need to convert to electric.

Hydrogen M/hev would be good compromise.

I thought Inios would follow JCB model.
Post #968447 20th Oct 2022 3:44pm
Setok

Finland 
rtm89 wrote:
I guess the flip side of all of this is that 10 years ago there were virtually no electric car chargers especially not on peoples drives.
Hydrogen stations would become more commonplace as companies develop them more and they become more efficient.

An interesting concept would be a hydrogen/electric hybrid effectively being a dual fuel. You could plug in at home and when the electric ran out the hydrogen works as a generator to recharge the battery as well as a second fuel to keep you running which you would top up at a fuel station.

The worlds changing but I'll keep plodding around in my 2.4 Thumbs Up

The thing is, almost nobody is developing those stations. The charger network is already quite extensive and rapidly growing, and everyone has electricity at home, so home charging is trivial. Same as businesses, hotels etc. It's cheap and easy to add charging spots for customers. They will soon be completely ubiquitous, meaning if you stop somewhere, you can charge. The laws of physics are against hydrogen systems at the moment. Petrol at least has some benefit in that it is high in energy density (otherwise we'd never have had ICEs as EVs are better in every other way).

Having a hybrid system has the same drawbacks as current petrol hybrids: added complexity. You basically have to build two systems, and you lose the low maintenance of pure EV. So why bother? Just have one system and add a bit more battery. It's what VW, Porsche, Ford, GM, Nissan, Hyundai, Kia, and of course Tesla are all betting on. What's the benefit of having hydrogen in the mix inside a personal car?
Post #968452 20th Oct 2022 4:32pm
kenzle8a

IMO we will have synthetic fuels as the stop gap / industry solution for the applications where having or converting to a BEV won't work. Seeing as we already have the infrastructure for syntherics to be used, stored and delivered it makes more sense than hyrdogen.
Post #968453 20th Oct 2022 4:45pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I don't believe any of the energy sources currently being proposed provides a single, one-type-suits-all alternative to fossil fuels, and the most important thing is that people keep looking, developing and inventing new alternatives.

Whether we will ever have a single universal fuel source again seems unlikely, unless someone can invent a clean synthetic hydrocarbon substitute.

I wonder when the world will wake up to the fact that battery production is severely detrimental to the environment.
Post #968459 20th Oct 2022 5:23pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1