↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > New car protection
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Buz1500

United Kingdom 
New car protection
I’m expecting my new Defender at the end of January 2023 and I’m considering getting some form of paint protection applied. I’m currently looking at either PPF or a ceramic coating. Anyone out there with experiences of either of these options and views of their durability.
Post #974622 14th Dec 2022 9:25am
soundslegal

United Kingdom 
I got PPF on my Corvette at the front and sills, and ceramic on the rear / upper (non stone chip prone) areas. That was 5 years ago. I got the ceramic coat topped up this year. The PPF is great, and the ceramic makes washing a doddle (and stops stuff sticking in the first place). So I'd recommend. When my Defender comes I plan to get satin PPF applied to the main body colour areas and clear PPF to the X-dyn black skirts and bumpers etc. It's expensive but the protection is worth it I think.

Only thing I'd say is I wish I'd got the ceramic coat applied over the PPF first time around, as when I used to wash it you'd get slightly different finishes and each 'kept' the dirt differently. When I got the ceramic topped up this year I got the whole car treated, much better. The cost isn't huge.
Post #974636 14th Dec 2022 12:55pm
haymeister

Japan 
I have Xpel PPF on the front.
My regret was not doing it on the day of collection, as I had picked up stone chips that needed correcting.
If budget is no issue I would do the sides as well, I have some bramble rash which could have been avoided. 22MY Defender 110 D300 S in Pangea Green and Contrast White Roof
IG defender_japan "Hulk san"
Post #974715 15th Dec 2022 8:37am
Nuclear Nick

United Kingdom 
They are two different products with different purposes. If you want physical protection against stone chips etc then PPF is the answer. If you just want a chemical barrier and appearance then go with ceramic coating. You could combine them by protecting the most vulnerable areas with PPF then treating the whole car with ceramic. Obviously complete PPF and ceramic is the ultimate answer. It’s down to the desire for protection, the use of the vehicle and budget combined with how long you plan to keep the car.
Post #974719 15th Dec 2022 9:05am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1