↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Why Hydrogen might not be the fuel of the future
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Tim in Scotland

Why Hydrogen might not be the fuel of the future
A very long podcast and quite technical but also very interesting when you hear the efficiency and how difficult and polluting making enough hydrogen could be

Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #966499 3rd Oct 2022 3:09pm
Ads90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Keswick Green
Very interesting - I too had assumed that green hydrogen was potentially the answer for heavy trucks/busses/plant machinery. Now maybe not, simply because logistics and costs will rule it out when compared to battery.
And you can totally forget it with regards to domestic heating versus heat pumps for same reason.
It's not even going to be the solution for heavy shipping. Looks like there is no viable 'solution' to that, just hybrid methods like wind-assist to help reduce the carbon output whilst still using heavy oil.
Like the prof. says, there's no perfect solution, but some solutions are clearly better (more viable) than others.
Post #966528 3rd Oct 2022 6:12pm
Leamreject

Italy 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Fuji White
Romours of a shoebox size nuclear power plant are interesting. 28 years or 250k of vehicle power supply while using used plutonium. Ride like you stole it!!
If I’m not on a bike it’s because only a 4x4 will do…
2011 2.4 Puma 90 HT
Post #966546 3rd Oct 2022 8:49pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tim in Scotland

I’ve just had an email “discussion” with my electricity supplier about why I’m paying for oil and gas price hikes when they only make electricity from renewables………….. their claims are true but the charges are incurred, they claim, when they sell that electricity to the national grid……….
They export 100% “green” generated electricity but that becomes what they call “brown” or “dirty” electricity as soon as it’s sold to NG and is mixed with electricity generated from oil and gas. There is a move now to detach the charges for using renewables generated electricity from their link to “brown” electricity but guess what? The big suppliers of dirty generated electricity are resisting that fiercely as their business with disappear if the consumers all switch to renewables generated cheaper power supplies! Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #966582 4th Oct 2022 9:22am
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
I think the future for hydrogen is more likely as a store of excess energy generated from solar/wind. Will depend upon the relative costs of lithium batteries vs hydrogen storage and generation.
Post #966597 4th Oct 2022 11:27am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Ads90 wrote:
Very interesting - I too had assumed that green hydrogen was potentially the answer for heavy trucks/busses/plant machinery. Now maybe not, simply because logistics and costs will rule it out when compared to battery.
And you can totally forget it with regards to domestic heating versus heat pumps for same reason.
It's not even going to be the solution for heavy shipping. Looks like there is no viable 'solution' to that, just hybrid methods like wind-assist to help reduce the carbon output whilst still using heavy oil.
Like the prof. says, there's no perfect solution, but some solutions are clearly better (more viable) than others.

Ground source heat pumps are super hungry when it comes to electricity. Ours makes up 2/3rds of our monthly electricity usage Shocked Only found this out when the darned thing died in August. Rolling Eyes

The un-told nasty with regards to GSH is that there aren't enough techs to service and fix the darned things either. Been on a waiting list for two months now.

The other thing is that we do not produce enough energy from renewable sources to supply everyone so even if everyone switched to companies supplying only from renewable sources you'd never actually receive electricity from those sources because there is not enough to go around.

Having spent the last 8 years working in the marine renewable sector and I can also say that whilst the talk is about offshore energy and isn't it marvellous the amount of red tape and actual lack of governmental support is laughable. Just enough to make it look like they are doing something but no modern government is going to sign on to a 50-100-150 year building project (as with some of the tidal lagoons) even if it is the answer. All too afraid of yet another HS2 or NHS overspend debacle. There are some great projects out there but I doubt they will ever get off the ground, too many reasons, fears, anti-change sentiments that will prevent us taking the leap.

No I think it is going to take a government like we have never seen before to push the UK anywhere near the green targets some bod in a committee meeting set for the EU.

In the meantime all we can do is keep our Defenders going Thumbs Up
Post #966611 4th Oct 2022 12:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1