↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Using LIFEPO4 battery as Auxiliary battery in Defender Puma
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
George_S

South Africa 
Using LIFEPO4 battery as Auxiliary battery in Defender Puma
Defender 110 2012 2.4L TDCI PUMA.
Has anyone installed a LIFEPO4 battery as auxiliary battery for Camping fridge/lighting etc.
Charging from alternator and Solar panel on roof rack will be be via a CTEK D250se whichi s Lithiom capable.
Any details re:
Problems, Life of battery
Make of LIFEPO4 battery make etc.
Excessive enviromnental heat. My battery will be installed in the batttery box next to the Cranking battery Lead-acid battery) under the passenger seat.
In South africa, especially in the maore arid regions, it can get quite hot and I have seen temps well in excess of 40'C on the external surface of a 60L Engel (Quite an old model)
Post #966180 28th Sep 2022 5:21pm
Honeyman

Netherlands 2011 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Sumatra Black
I installed a LiFePO4 in the 130 earlier this year after watching too many Australian 4WD YT videos Rolling Eyes

2xVictron 175W 12V mono panels on the roof rack.
100Ah Wattstunde battery. I chose Wattstunde over Victron as the former has a version with in-built heating pads for cold weather use - it’s installed in the load bed so doesn’t benefit from cab heat).
Monitoring is via a Victron smart shunt and Bluetooth to minimize wiring.
Main loads are the Engel fridge/freezer, a 12v road chef oven, compressor and a 1000W 220V inverter.
Charging is with a Redarc BCDC1225d.
Battery, charger, shunt and inverter are mounted together on a (self-)modified Luna battery box - following the Australian YT examples again, the whole thing being removable if necessary.

As far as heat goes - I’m not really in the hottest of areas - it can get toasty under the black tilt in direct summer sun but no issues to date.

So far no problems and I’m very pleased with the setup, particularly the panels which can supply much more than I was expecting, tbh. On cloudy/rainy days they can easily keep up with the fridge etc without having to drive.

Cheers, 2011MY 130 HCPU: daily driver
1979MY RRC 2-door: on the drive, in the garage & in a shed - all at the same time.
Post #966186 28th Sep 2022 6:28pm
pistonfields

Switzerland 
Sorry to revive this old thread but might help someone in the future: I did build my own LiFePo4 battery pack in order to have a compact solution that would fit under the seat in the battery compartment along the starter battery on my Puma. All pre built batteries I found follow the typical lead acid form factor to be a drop in replacement to conventional batteries. that's great, but as we know space is an issue and fitting a traditional second battery is already a hassle. I did have to relocate the starter battery and thus elongate the existing wires to the starter/alternator and chassis ground.

I now have a 110Ah LiFePo4 battery as "leisure battery" thus giving me 110Ah usable capacity and a 1C discharge rate with the abbility to sustain 2C for several minutes. I charge with 200w solar on a Victron MPPT charger and through a Victron Orion B2B charger while driving (giving me around 30-38A charging depending on temperature while driving). I power lights, USB chargers for phone and laptop, a compressor fridge and now a 1500W inverter for my kettle and milk frother (keep the wife happy, right?) with it. Works like a charm and gives me several days of autarchy.

The battery itself has heating pads: if below freezing any incoming charging current will be used to heat the battery first. If it reaches a set temp it'll then switch to charging. LiFePo4 cells should not be charged below freezing. All wires from the new battery are fused at the terminal and at the first junction box right next to the battery.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

More information and pictures can be found at https://imgur.com/gallery/TiZSEDX

Honestly at this point I'd not invest in anything else than a LiFePo4 battery when a second one is needed. Prices have come down significantly, longevity is that much superior to lead acid battery that even with additional cost it's a no-brainer. A modern b2b charger is a must though, but I find all other systems of charging a second battery via for example relay subpar anyway, even with lead acid batteries.
Post #1012078 22nd Oct 2023 9:28am
andy63

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 CSW Aintree Green
Nice setup👍
Before defenders I had a motorhome background and had been persuaded about the benefits of lifepo4 batteries, so it was an obvious choice when I decided to put one in the defender for aux power..
I didn't build my unit but bought one.. 110ah..
At the min it's just getting charged as needed using a mains charger (only running a little diesel htr on the odd occosion atm) but I have a dc to dc charger to install when I get round to it..

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #1012094 22nd Oct 2023 11:11am
macfrank

Germany 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Re: Using LIFEPO4 battery as Auxiliary battery in Defender P
George_S wrote:

Excessive enviromnental heat. My battery will be installed in the batttery box next to the Cranking battery Lead-acid battery) under the passenger seat.
In South africa, especially in the maore arid regions, it can get quite hot and I have seen temps well in excess of 40'C on the external surface of a 60L Engel (Quite an old model)

(I missed the original post, but:)
Someone in a German forum just said he experienced his LiFePo battery shutting down due to heat from the gearbox. He will move it out of the battery box to somewhere else.
Post #1012293 23rd Oct 2023 5:39pm
andy63

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 CSW Aintree Green
I never really gave high temp shut down much thought.. Its usually trying to charge at low temp that is the issue here.. I've experienced that in a motorhome in storage through the winter where the bms shut the batteries down..
I've just looked at the spec sheet for my particular battery and it is indicating a max temp of 45degC... So yep.. A potential issue in hot climate I suppose.. 👍

Click image to enlarge
Post #1012305 23rd Oct 2023 6:13pm
macfrank

Yes, I also found his remark suprisingly helpful, after I mentioned a LiFePo model with integrated heating, because I knew *that* would be an issue. I think everyone of us has experienced how hot it can get around the transmission but I never thought that it will turn the battery box into an oven. Plausible though.
Post #1012306 23rd Oct 2023 6:18pm
pistonfields

Switzerland 
Re: Using LIFEPO4 battery as Auxiliary battery in Defender P
macfrank wrote:
George_S wrote:

(I missed the original post, but:)
Someone in a German forum just said he experienced his LiFePo battery shutting down due to heat from the gearbox. He will move it out of the battery box to somewhere else.

I monitored temps on my 3 week trip in Sardinia in Sept/Oct including offroading, long highway stages and similar. BMS temps sometimes reached 40° but the battery itself stayed below that. But I can imagine with even higher outside temps this could be an issue, especially with the B2B charger generating heat too. Fitting a small fan with a temperature switch could alleviate the issue and shouldn't be too hard to fix. I actually wanted to do it but decided to first test it to seei f it's really neccessary.
Post #1014851 12th Nov 2023 10:34am
pistonfields

Switzerland 
Short update: temps finally dropped and the heating kicked. Checked it with a thermal camera and it seems to work. Drive was too short to warm them up enough though...

Click image to enlarge

(BMS heatsink is reflecting that's why it does appear hotter than it actually is)
Post #1017386 4th Dec 2023 1:35pm
pistonfields

Switzerland 
Just a short update in case anyone finds this thread through search and is interested in building a dual battery setup: Victron has updates its b2b charger lineup and has added the Orion XS. It offers 50A battery to battery charging capability and - this is where it gets interesting - is waaaaaay smaller and runs way cooler than the normal Orion I have put in. It's not widely available yet and will cost more I suspect... but as space is limited in a Defender this might be an interesting option for some.

https://www.victronenergy.com/dc-dc-conver...ry-charger
Post #1023325 2nd Feb 2024 2:53pm
macfrank

Thanks for the update. The Orion looks interesting indeed.
"Stay in charge with ..." - haha
"... without the need for fans." - cool, I admire that Wink

oh, it seems to be availabe soon for under 400€ (£350).

Last edited by macfrank on 2nd Feb 2024 4:41pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #1023336 2nd Feb 2024 4:38pm
pistonfields

Switzerland 
the original Orion sadly is not that efficient and does indeed get hot. Which is not an issue per se, but it reduced charging output. That said: you'll have 30A for sure on the 30A model. They designed it in a way that when it runs cool enough you'll get up to 40A. That's why people mounting it in confined spaces just add a small fan with temp switch.
Nevertheless the original Orion is a nice piece of tech. Hope to be able to test the new one soon...
Post #1023337 2nd Feb 2024 4:40pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1