↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Help: can't get bulkhead mat out around pedals
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Gasket

Help: can't get bulkhead mat out around pedals
Such a minor thing, but it's driving me bananas.

I need to fold the factory bulkhead mat out of the way so that I can make a small stitched repair to a torn section, apply some dynamite behind and affix some velcro tape to stop it sagging.

I need to get to the point shown in the screenshot below - so I know its possible as this is how Audiofile Incar do their soundproofing:

Click image to enlarge

The full video is here: .

I have already removed the floormat, the door-open switch and the metal retaining strip on the door pillar and I can get the mat over the accelerator pedal, but I can't get it past the brake pedal - there's a big black plastic box on the pedal assembly that is in the way and I can't see any fixings that hold it.

My understanding is that the mat is only physically held by the strip on the door pillar and by the folded steel lips on the top of the footwell - so removing the door pillar strip and pulling the mat out from behind the folded strip should do it. But I'm stuck.

I notice on the video linked above they have removed the lower dash speaker and the fuse panel - I don't know if this is simply part of the ICE install or if there is some hidden fixings in there. They seem to have removed the black plastic box - releasing the big dangling plug on the screenshot above and I would guess that they have removed the bonnet catch too.

Can anyone help?
Post #966134 27th Sep 2022 9:39pm
Gasket

Hang on… might have sussed it.

Looking at this diagram: https://www.lrworkshop.com/diagrams/land-r...al_45160#1

I think I might just need to remove the two screws (marked as number 11). But I haven’t seen these - perhaps they’re accessed through the fuse box panel.

Assume I’d still need to remove the bonnet cable handle too though.
Post #966135 27th Sep 2022 9:58pm
Gasket

Updating my own Q post here, but might be of use to someone.

Found that the black plastic cover over the stoplamp switches isn't attached by any screws, there's just four plastic tabs to release.

See this picture:

Click image to enlarge

Then in DGardel's very useful copy of the workshop manual, page 963 and page 178 it gives instructions on disconnecting the switches to release the matting.

I'll give it a go tonight and will report back.
Post #966174 28th Sep 2022 1:38pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Thumbs Up

good luck.
Post #966187 28th Sep 2022 5:40pm
Gasket

Sorted - the cover just unclips and exposes the switches which can be unscrewed. The rest is obvious.

The cover had felt really flimsy but well attached and I didn't want to pry it out and risk breaking it. Luckily the photos above show where the tabs are and its then pretty easy to do.

Phew!
Post #966234 29th Sep 2022 9:06am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1