↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > MOT fail - brake pads
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
kmac

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
MOT fail - brake pads
So my 110 USW (2010MY) failed its MOT due to worn rear brake pads.

Fine I thought, I'll just replace them. Got some LOF Powerspec pads delivered and proceeded with the job. The old pads had less than 1mm left. The pistons look awful. I have a 24 year old Ford galaxy which still has shiny pistons. Anyway pads are swapped but a bit worried that pistons may seize at any time.

Also managed to strip a wheel nut when removing (or re-fitting one of the wheels). Will have to get another one from a dealer on Tuesday.
Post #965329 17th Sep 2022 8:58pm
Screbble

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
I think that if your pads were <1mm then a fair amount of the piston sidewall will have been exposed to the elements and harsh environment for quite some time. As such they are likely to be pitted and I’d guess they might not be forming a great seal now that you’ve pushed them back in. I’d replace the pistons with s/s if the calipers are still serviceable.

Replacement is the only option for the damaged wheel stud as you’ve suggested.
Post #965332 17th Sep 2022 9:08pm
The Zee

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Indus Silver
My 2014 110 2.2 Puma daily driver needed all new calipers about 2 years ago, I'd asked the dealership in Salisbury to do a brake fluid change as part of the service, when I went to collect they explaned it was not possible due to all 4 bleed nipples having rusted away, there was nothing to bleed from.... Shocked

Refubished take off calipers from Lucari Solutions
SS pistons from Zeus Engineering
Flexible hoses direct to caliper from Pioneer 4x4
Discs, pads and bearings from LOF

Just to change the fluid in a braking system, beacause JLR cheap'ed out and fitted lowest cost, lowest quality components Rolling Eyes

I'm now not really shocked by anything JLR specified on my Defender..... Embarassed

I'd be prepaired to get the calipers off and either refurbished or get a set of "take off" calipers and get them built to the spec you want and installed so the vehicle if off the road for the shortest time. PM if you want full details of who I used, why and costings at that time Zaid-M
www.DefencePhotos.com
2014 Defender 110 Utility, 2.2 Puma, Indus Silver
Not just transport more like a religion
Post #965335 17th Sep 2022 10:02pm
RFT

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Zermatt Silver
Just has new back discs, pads & callipers fitted to mine. 118,000 miles. 130 Puma HCPU with an Artica 240LR Demountable Camper
Post #965338 17th Sep 2022 10:40pm
kmac

Thanks chaps - Zee that's a useful list of suppliers. Will check the bleed nipples, else look to just change the pistons. Might be easier to just get some refurb calipers though but would haven't seen any with stainless pistons
Post #965349 18th Sep 2022 7:43am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
On my high-mileage Puma I have generally ended up changing the calipers with every second set of pads, and on 260k miles I think I'm on my third set. The need for this is always due to corrosion on the part of the piston which is exposed, and this of course gets progressively bigger as the pads wear. The effect of the corrosion is to mean that either the pistons won't push back, or the seize, or they leak.

New calipers are actually not that expensive and I wouldn't bother with second-hand ones or refurbished ones under normal circumstances. I am however refurbishing the last set I took off in order to see what improvement stainless pistons actually make. It is otherwise generally more cost-effective to fit a new caliper than fit new seals and pistons to an old one.

I always keep a number of replacement bleed nipples on hand, they're cheap and it's much easier to replace them periodically before they get to the point where they can't be removed except by drilling. I also always fit a rubber cap to the nipple.
Post #965352 18th Sep 2022 8:16am
kmac

blackwolf - do you get aftermarket calipers then?

What is a decent brand to get?
Post #965356 18th Sep 2022 8:30am
Screbble

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
+1 for nipple covers 👍

Click image to enlarge
Post #965359 18th Sep 2022 8:36am
blackwolf

Absolutely, nipples should always be covered when not in use, whether bleed nipples or grease nipples.

kmac wrote:
blackwolf - do you get aftermarket calipers then?

What is a decent brand to get?

I only use AP Delphi calipers and discs, just as fitted at the factory. I shop around for best prices (most regular motor factors sell AP Delphi products).
Post #965374 18th Sep 2022 10:22am
Mossberg

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Aintree Green
Whilst I have used Britpart calipers, I did change the nipples for stainless and used brass fittings on my cunifer pipe.
Post #965379 18th Sep 2022 11:23am
blackwolf

Hmm, Britpart calipers, I'm not sure I could bring myself to do that unless they have the AP Lockheed trademark cast into them. I'm still not really ready for safety-critical parts from Britpart.
Post #965385 18th Sep 2022 12:31pm
kmac

blackwolf wrote:

I only use AP Delphi calipers and discs, just as fitted at the factory. I shop around for best prices (most regular motor factors sell AP Delphi products).

Thanks
Post #965388 18th Sep 2022 12:50pm
Oldowner

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Aintree Green
blackwolf wrote:
Hmm, Britpart calipers, I'm not sure I could bring myself to do that unless they have the AP Lockheed trademark cast into them. I'm still not really ready for safety-critical parts from Britpart.

Probably fifteen years ago I was asked to look at a 110CSW with abysmal brakes. It had had new unbranded front calipers fitted by a back street garage but the brakes had got much worse since they were fitted.

On inspection both the unbranded front calipers only had two pistons out of the four operating. I stripped the calipers down and found that all gallery seals between the caliper sides / vented spacers had swollen up after contact with brake fluid and completely blocked all the fluid passageways between the caliper sides.
Post #965419 18th Sep 2022 10:04pm
Mossberg

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Aintree Green
blackwolf wrote:

I got a set of front calipers and vented discs from a forum member for £100 so I couldn't complain and they replaced a set that had seen much better days. They work fine but I haven't done many miles with them yet.

I was unsure about getting Britpart and the only real negative comments I could see were from people who felt similar to you in that they didn't want Britpart kit on safety critical items. However, any comments from people that had used them were positive in the fact they performed well. I think there were some comments that they may not last as long due to pistons suffering as the pads wear - but this would be apparent when you changed pads anyway.

I did consider fitting stainless pistons to them, but for the milage I do I don't think it would be worth it, especially as it looks like a fiddley job.

If anyone that has/had Britpart calipers fitted does have any feedback then that would be most welcome - even if that is negative as I would prefer to know what I have on the truck.
Post #965421 19th Sep 2022 2:33am
HardCharger

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Screbble wrote:
+1 for nipple covers 👍

Click image to enlarge

Where do you get these and other nipple covers? I'm going to fit them as I go on with my maintenance stuff
Post #965422 19th Sep 2022 3:31am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>