↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Clutch failure poll type comparison.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
piechipsandpeas

Australia 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
And yet you're on your original output shaft. Cool
Post #965616 21st Sep 2022 12:29pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Yes, 260k miles or so at the moment too. Perhaps the sacrificial clutches are saving the shaft! Rolling with laughter

I have also changed the transfer box (at about 150k miles) which tends to support my hypothesis that the thing that kills adaptor shafts is poor machining tolerances on the extension housing that encloses the shaft coupling.
Post #965619 21st Sep 2022 1:22pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
At that lifespan and my annual milage then my output shaft has about 20+ years left in it yet. Snigger

My adage is if there isn’t a problem with them, leave them well alone. And the greasing of the splines seems to do the trick.

The downside does indeed seem to be that the clutches are somewhat sacrificial. (And not cheap!).

If anyone is getting over 50k on their clutch I would consider it doing well, 48k is the maximum I’ve ever had out of the LR version.
A lot depends on owner use though, mine doesn’t do heavy work but does a lot of lanes (not Byways off the road) and that will be a lot of vibration. Especially considering how some roads have been, potholes everywhere. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #965639 21st Sep 2022 4:16pm
jpboost

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Are you suggesting the the vibration of driving on less smooth roads could have an impact in the life of the clutch plate?

I'm not sure I follow the logic?
Post #965640 21st Sep 2022 4:21pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
custom90steve wrote:
... If anyone is getting over 50k on their clutch I would consider it doing well, 48k is the maximum I’ve ever had out of the LR version. ...

As I commented on the previous page my fifth clutch (genuine LR) has now done around 110k. It is overdue for replacement, but wasn't in need of replacement at 50k.

custom90steve wrote:
...A lot depends on owner use though, mine doesn’t do heavy work but does a lot of lanes (not Byways off the road) ...

It does indeed, and possibly the fact that I know how to change gear (having driven many, many miles in vehicles without snchro) has helped prolong the life of my clutch, and even possibly the output shaft. I will wager that when I finally get round to removing driven plate number five it will have plenty of wear left, but the springs will be flopping around. Mine does do a fair amount of heavy work, regularly towing 3.5 tonnes, and is also off-road pretty frequently.

custom90steve wrote:
...he downside does indeed seem to be that the clutches are somewhat sacrificial. (And not cheap!). ...

Indeed not cheap, however be thankful you don't have a TD5 because based on my experience with my Disco2 although the clutch may last longer you'd be fitting a new flywheel every 70k miles or so to stop the clutch juddering. A new DMF really hurts the pocket! My disco has done 210k or thereabouts and is on its third DMF, and I bet per mile it has cost me more in clutch-related components than the Defender. The Defender makes up for it in driveline components many times over though! Shocked
Post #965650 21st Sep 2022 6:04pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
BW - Oh yes, the DMF’s are very pricey! I noticed the prices when I was looking for parts. Glad the Puma is a SMF, that’s enough but far less trouble and so far mines been reliable and trouble free.

I’m back on this thread today, as after a few weeks I finally got the old clutch that was removed from my 90 out of the box to dispose of it appropriately.
Having a look at the friction plate, it isn’t severely worn. To my untrained eye I’d say maybe 50 / 60% worn maybe? Not too bad.
The pressure plate fingers were not bent or deformed, old slave seemed O-K. And pressure plate surface didn’t look too bad either.
Old Spigot bearing didn’t look great, but maybe that purely due to removal of it.

The springs were culprit, the centre spring was somewhere loose the larger spring just holding on.
All springs were very loose, very loose.
And this was the same with the last LR clutch I was told, so is something I’m not impressed with with LR’s offering.
Pictures tell all:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I’d have thought the retention of the springs could be a better design. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #969586 31st Oct 2022 10:42pm
Hufflepuff

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Tonga Green
While we are on the subject of clutches and DMF, has anyone got any idea why Turner Engineering are stating for their Td5 exchange stripped engine:

Quote:
NOTE: Heavy duty clutch assemby and/ or solid flywheel MUST NOT be used with this engine type.

https://www.turnerengineering.co.uk/land-rover-stripped-engines

I can't for the life of me think of any reason why a single mass flywheel would be bad for an engine? The gearbox, clutch or the user comfort OK sure, but not the engine? 2005 Td5 90 XS
1989 V8 110 CSW
Post #969592 31st Oct 2022 11:46pm
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
2011, 56k miles

All original except the clutch fluid I refreshed Smile Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #969607 1st Nov 2022 7:56am
Bill1919

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
2015 110

Clutch and slave cylinder at 68K
Adapter shaft failed at 92k
Current mileage 98K 1988 110 csw 2.5Td (19J) (gone)
1992 110 csw Tdi200 (gone)
1995 110 csw Tdi300 (gone)
2015 110 XS csw 2.2 puma
Post #969655 1st Nov 2022 3:48pm
mark1200

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
04 td5 200 bhp. At 85k the clutch stared to slip quite a lot too heavy a right foot lol. so changed for a lof power spec and solid flywheel, took a while to get used to the solid flywheel but all is ok and the clutch is very strong.
Post #969665 1st Nov 2022 4:57pm
RobKeay

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Changed mine at 78k ish. But only because the box was out.
Post #969678 1st Nov 2022 6:11pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
40k, replaced with LR OE. Replaced after OS failure on holiday, suspect pressure plate and slave weren’t changed. Wasn’t in country when work was done.
80k replaced with Clutchfix clutch and pressure plate, and new slave.

As we’re on the subject, quick question on recent change/upgrade. Two points:

A. Clutch is a little agricultural in first gear, not easy to finesse bite to avoid a clunk. 2-6 all smooth. Anything I can do about it?

B. If I have used the Def hard, motorway or steep hill, there is a burning smell. I mentioned this on another thread, and suspicion was thrown on either exhaust wrap or oil on the casing. The smell is still there six months on, albeit a lot lot less.

Could this be from inside the gearbox? Is it possible to misalign the clutch yet still use it? Wrong gearbox oil? Etc etc…. Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #969804 3rd Nov 2022 9:02am
custom90

United Kingdom 
A, DM’s being worn or prop UJ’s are common for that, possibly clutch switch can have some issues too if it’s old.

B, Difficult to say especially over such a long time, a month or so maybe oil or grease on the exhaust.
Axle oil can smell quite a bit, but that’s difficult to say unless it is somewhat migrating from a leak from front diff to onto exhaust but I doubt you have a diff leak?
Other than that, clutch slipping? Though that is usually distinctive in smell.

Aroma de clutch, or eu’ de axle oil is not my favourite scented products. Rolling with laughter

If there is a lot of smell coming off it suggests excessive heat, of which unless exhaust suggests a problem.
I’d try and find out what it is that is getting excessively hot or get under and take a look whilst it is.
(Careful of the hot exhaust). Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #969872 3rd Nov 2022 8:19pm
Vitesse

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
2015 90. Purchased from new
83k with original clutch and output shaft. 2015 90 XS Santorini Black
Post #970481 9th Nov 2022 1:38pm
Landowner

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
Just raising this subject and continuing the list.
Loss of power today (let the clutch up over the weekend, with brakes on when I thought I was out of gear! Massive clonk but I thought I had got away with it until I came to a steep hill….no drive at all.
Anyway, likely output shaft so getting clutch and slave cylinder replaced regardless as fluid was black the other day, and clutch bite is way down .
2012 - second owner, around 2 months ownership.
Post #987049 27th Mar 2023 7:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>