↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Immobiliser problem after theft?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
nosuchthing

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
Thanks everyone - there's some great thinking here. I'll try to methodically work through all of these suggestions and report back.
I did check the fuses in the box under the seat - but haven't removed/examined the ones under the dash and didn't even realise there was one near the steering column - will do that today.
The point about door looms is a good one - one of them has been cut as they removed the doors.
Andylee - many thanks for your very kind offer of the Nanocom - I'll come back to you via PM if it looks like I'd need to trouble you with that - thank you.
In the meantime, I spotted another electrical issue - which I think is probably irrelevant - but there is disconnected plug hanging by the diesel filer under the rear of the car - photo attached - does anyone know where this should connect?
Thanks again to all for your support!

Click image to enlarge
Post #963848 3rd Sep 2022 8:49am
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
That may be for the water in fuel sensor. Nit all Defenders had the sensor, so the plug is left unconnected. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #963853 3rd Sep 2022 9:23am
Penfold_6290

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
As Dinnu says that is the loom for the water sensor that normally sits at the bottom of the fuel filter. Yours doesn't have the sensor so nothing to worry about.

I wouldn't spend too much time looking at the door looms, they will not cause the issue you are experiencing. Concentrate on the integrity of the wiring from the passenger fuse box to the 10AS and the induction ring by the ignition switch.
Post #963856 3rd Sep 2022 9:31am
nosuchthing

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Thanks Dinnu and Penfold.
I've now checked all the fuses and found no issues - but despite removing the steering wheel shroud I couldn't see the 10AS fuse that you mentioned Penfold - am I looking in the right place? The car has aircon which sits below the steering column so perhaps it's hidden behind there? Does the steering whee induction ring look right? Photo attached.
I've also discovered another disconnected wiring connector block which is dangling to the side of the passenger fuse box. It has a heavy duty brown wire going to it and two lighter gauge wires in white and green/white - two photos attached. It seems to be wrapped in making tape so perhaps it's not part of the original wiring - does anyone know what it should connect to?
Separately, I've completely replaced the car's 12 V battery with a new one - normally of course that should trigger the alarm but there was in fact complete silence - so the alarm is definitely not operational.
Post #963904 3rd Sep 2022 5:17pm
Penfold_6290

I’m away from home at the moment so can’t look at the wiring diagram. I’ll look later but I don’t think it will be involved with this problem.

It wasn’t me who mentioned an inline fuse around the steering column, I wasn’t aware there was one and don’t ever recall finding one on my many journeys into the wiring in this area.

Reconnecting the battery will only sound the alarm if you have the BBUS fitted (battery back up sounder). Not all Defenders do, it’s located behind the LH headlamp if it’s there at all.
Post #963905 3rd Sep 2022 5:22pm
nosuchthing

Ah ok - thank you.
Just realised it was rallysteve who mentioned a fuse around the steering column.
All the best
J
Post #963907 3rd Sep 2022 5:40pm
nosuchthing

Hallelujah! Finally got her running. Entered the EKA code and off she went - had tried that previously but must have mis-entered it. Despite 7 months in a field she runs, stops and changes gear perfectly.
Only remaining issue is that the immobiliser now isn't working at all - but I think that will be resolved by getting an automotive locksmith to re-synch the fobs.
Thanks everyone for your help! Smile
Post #963912 3rd Sep 2022 6:55pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Spot on to hear!! Christ knows what those arseholes have done to the system though. But at least you got her running again. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #963914 3rd Sep 2022 7:03pm
Screbble

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
nosuchthing wrote:
Hallelujah! Finally got her running. Entered the EKA code and off she went - had tried that previously but must have mis-entered it. Despite 7 months in a field she runs, stops and changes gear perfectly.
Only remaining issue is that the immobiliser now isn't working at all - but I think that will be resolved by getting an automotive locksmith to re-synch the fobs.
Thanks everyone for your help! Smile

Great news - I’m really pleased 👍

Let us know how you get on as you recommission her.

Good luck.
Post #963930 3rd Sep 2022 10:20pm
Penfold_6290

Good news, glad to hear.

SP-4x4 is probably your best bet for doors, you can buy them fully built up, I doubt you’ll have much luck at the breakers as what you’ll find is likely to be rusty, dented or both. You might just have to bite the bullet and abuse the credit card.
Post #963933 3rd Sep 2022 11:02pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
this is what winds me up, a bunch of arseholes steals his car, and strips the parts to sell on etc, now he has to spend a few quid now on replacing those items. Rolling Eyes
Might be worth looking at second hand doors for the inner parts etc, Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #963944 4th Sep 2022 2:34am
nosuchthing

Here's some good news. Pretty much got my stolen Defender back up and running with all the panels complete - see photo

One of the last parts I'm struggling to find is a wiring loom for the rear door - which also has central locking, rear wiper and heated screen. Britcar have them on back order with no ETA - and couldn't find any availability elsewhere. Does anyone know where one can be found?
Post #968280 19th Oct 2022 11:59am
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Used one currently on eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394231205367  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #968291 19th Oct 2022 12:23pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
nosuchthing

Many thanks Martin. Didn’t think of looking there. Have now bought the eBay item
Post #968293 19th Oct 2022 12:43pm
Screbble

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
nosuchthing wrote:
Here's some good news. Pretty much got my stolen Defender back up and running with all the panels complete - see photo

One of the last parts I'm struggling to find is a wiring loom for the rear door - which also has central locking, rear wiper and heated screen. Britcar have them on back order with no ETA - and couldn't find any availability elsewhere. Does anyone know where one can be found?

A happy ending Thumbs Up
Post #968295 19th Oct 2022 12:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12