↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Intermittent clutch issue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Siwynne

England 
Intermittent clutch issue
Whilst driving I am getting an issue appear. The clutch doesn’t fully disengage and all gears become difficult to select. There is a slight drag when sat still dragging the truck forward ever so slightly. This will disappear and reappear with no obvious cause other than temperature (possibly). If it was that the clutch was worn I would expect slip not drag.
I drives fine 95% of the time

Does the hive wisdom of def 2 have any suggestions as to the cause?
Post #963565 31st Aug 2022 7:25pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Most likely to be a problem with the release mechanism, possibly an air bubble in the hydraulics or a failing seal.

Are you losing fluid?
Post #963567 31st Aug 2022 7:27pm
Siwynne

England 
Not loosing fluid that was my first point of investigation
Post #963569 31st Aug 2022 7:35pm
Siwynne

England 
I’ll look at bleeding it this weekend and also check the locknut on the pushrod. A dealer messed with it years ago when it had the output shaft and clutch replaced under warranty. Wouldn’t surprise me if that was loose too.
Post #963570 31st Aug 2022 7:41pm
Big Harold

Australia 2015 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Alpine White
When the slave cylinder fails on a Puma there is usually no fluid loss.
It just fails to release. Gearbox out job unfortunately.
Mark
Post #963601 31st Aug 2022 11:38pm
Leamreject

Italy 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Fuji White
Re: Intermittent clutch issue
[quote="Siwynne"]Whilst driving I am getting an issue appear. The clutch doesn’t fully disengage and all gears become difficult to select. There is a slight drag when sat still dragging the truck forward ever so slightly. This will disappear and reappear with no obvious cause other than temperature (possibly). If it was that the clutch was worn I would expect slip not drag.
I drives fine 95% of the time

Does sound like a clutch slave cylinder issue, if it’s failing it will progressively get worse. Ride like you stole it!!
If I’m not on a bike it’s because only a 4x4 will do…
2011 2.4 Puma 90 HT
Post #963605 1st Sep 2022 4:18am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Siwynne

England 
Thanks for the responses.
Mostly confirming my fears.
It is typical that as I work in education and have had six weeks off for summer hols that on the day I return to work this rears it head. I will hopefully limp until October half term and then change the slave cylinder. In the mean time I will bleed it and cross my fingers. If it fails it will at least fail engaged and I will be able to drive it home
Post #963697 1st Sep 2022 7:19pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Dare I say it I think you are a little optimistic that it’ll last unfortunately.
I had the same thing this year, it’ll get worse more rapidly than you realise.
You may squeeze 60 miles out if you are lucky but it’ll get worse and worse and will result in you not being able to select a gear randomly wherever you may be and might be dangerous in that situation.

It seems surprisingly common for the earlier slaves to fail, this was the problem I had last time as well and fails before the clutch it’s self.
This time round I’ve gone for the later LR 2.2 Slave, valve and adaptor which will fit the 2.4 if you have all three parts.
If you have the 2.2 then of course those parts fit anyway as standard.
But I do feel the earlier slaves did have issues. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #963713 1st Sep 2022 8:41pm
Siwynne

England 
This reoccurred yesterday. I had driven about 40 miles motorway parked up for about 1 1/2 hours and then drove stop start for about 8 miles. Then it slowly got worse. Changing gear got stiffer and it was dragging when sat at traffic lights. However once in gear and moving if I moved the clutch pedal an inch it would slip as it was disengaging as normal.
I am now suspecting that part of the release mechanism is loose and moving around or a spring is out of place somehow.
Driven anther 60 miles today in two 30 mile journeys without issue
Post #964324 7th Sep 2022 6:33pm
spudfan

Ireland 
Was she serviced recently? If gearbox fluid was changed and the incorrect fluid used this could be an issue. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #964326 7th Sep 2022 6:52pm
Siwynne

England 
Mmm. All fluids changed recently but only after this had started to happen. I changed the gbox oil thinking it might help. What came out was clean and debris free. I was very careful selecting correct oils and filling the correct volumes
I do think if I can get to the end of October (1/2 term week off) I’ll open it up and have a look and change what needs changing
Post #964335 7th Sep 2022 7:43pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Typical culprits are a spring has came out or partially out of the friction plate due to getting weak or the concentric slave bearing has gone with a hydraulic leak.

If memory serves me rightly the last time I had issues with mine, it was a pinhole leak in the slave diaphragm. So it was leaking clutch fluid inside the box but you would never know and was of course losing pressure in the process but it was a small amount which meant it wasn’t leaking so much that the fluid would disappear quickly.
In effect it would happen when warmed up and the small fluid loss was difficult to notice.

Funny enough mines in the garage now again being looked at this coming week, I’m pretty sure that the slave is leaking again or a spring has came out too possibly both.
Same symptoms as you have described, tried replacing the master cylinder which was a good thing to replace anyway with mine due to age, bled again, etc etc but it didn’t solve it so got to be the slave.

I guess the clutch over fingers can get bent too, but isn’t quite as common the slave fog in is more common than actually wearing a clutch out.
I’ve never actually worn a clutch out it’s been slave failure each time, but was the earlier slave PN which is why I’ve gone for the 2.2 slave this time.

Wasn’t there some discussion about some defects on the earlier clutch slaves, I thought I read something about that once? Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #964359 7th Sep 2022 10:03pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
This sounds like what happened to mine - I thought that the springs had become loose and arranged for a LOF clutch to be fitted, but on removing it proved to be the Spigot Bearing failure which explained why the clutch was quite and that it worked fine when needed.

The clutch was in good order when removed and had no wear after 4 yrs of use
The LOF kit included all the parts and was soon sorted.

Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge
 Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #964376 8th Sep 2022 7:52am
custom90

United Kingdom 
That’s interesting, it would be interesting to put up a poll to find out what the most common culprits of failure is.
Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #964404 8th Sep 2022 2:53pm
Siwynne

England 
Bled it today and ran about a pint and a half through until it ran clear. It was really dark. i hope it has an effect on my problem but I am suspecting the concentric slave cylinder or spigot beating. Mine has had both replaced since new. It is a 2.2 but had the newer clutch, cylinder and bleed arrangement put on at 38k with a new output shaft Now on 121k so a failure could be imminent
Post #964669 11th Sep 2022 8:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>