↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > UJs cup bearings seized ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
MatLandy

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver
UJs cup bearings seized ?
It has been pretty hot these past months, and the Landy (110 Puma 2.4 with 110K kms) has done well with long distance driving on the motorway and rocky/dusty trails high up in the Alps with the roof top tent etc.

Anyway, as part of the post summer maintenance routines, I crawled underneath to grease the propshafts. On the rear prop, at the handbrake side, I have 2 cups that seem to move within the prop eyes - not sure if that make sens - see pictures as that will explain it better Very Happy

I do not feel any (new) vibration while driving though. I believe this UJ is on it's way out and I might better change it before it fails completly ? What do you think ?

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Note that the slider is dry as I have cleaned it on purpose before taking the picture...

Cheers
/Mat
Post #963312 30th Aug 2022 7:30am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I would unbolt the prop as a matter of urgency and check if what you suspect is really happening by fully articulating the joints. If the cup is loose in the eye it is, I am afraid, quite likely that you will need a new propshaft since the eye is softer than the cup and it is likely therefore that the eye, rather than the cup has worn, so a new UJ will be loose in the eye.

If you're lucky you might get away with it if it has only very recently started happening.
Post #963313 30th Aug 2022 8:06am
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
I had one fail with no warning vibrations. Given the cost of a new prop I would get one ordered now, remove and check the existing one and if it is repairable then keep it for a spare. From memory a whole prop only costs a few pounds more that a couple of UJs.
Post #963323 30th Aug 2022 9:35am
Angus_Beef

Norway 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
or you can spend a thousand and go the GL route Whistle

Click image to enlarge
 Roaming around 🇳🇴🇨🇭
Post #963326 30th Aug 2022 10:03am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Just replaced my rearmost UJ this morning. Failed. Noted that in the holder facing the diff the UJ was completely seized. Took an age to get our with clamps and hammers etc. Got there in the end, cleaned with wire wool and lube and new one went in with effort. Of the prop housing the cups slid in very easily. Almost too easily. But still no wobble. Just right, but based on what’s been said above I’ll keep an eye on it. Always felt a GL upgrade was worthwhile (including the various steering upgrades) allied to upgraded diffs, just to inch towards that ever unachievable goal of entirely removing slack for anything longer than a week after tightening everything up or replacing any of the 94 moving parts found in the 110’s drive train. Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #963329 30th Aug 2022 10:25am
Grenadier

Angus_Beef wrote:
or you can spend a thousand and go the GL route Whistle

Click image to enlarge

If that's a recent purchase, be good to see some photos on one of the various threads… Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #963331 30th Aug 2022 10:26am
custom90

United Kingdom 
Replace with a new prop, or if you fancy a challenge replace the UJ.
I’d do one or the other asap.

Changing the UJ’s can be straight forward, it can also be a pain in the backside.
Depends as Blackwolf said if you can get away with it but there little different E between a prop and UJ’s and the new prop route is easier and quicker.

Usually this is caused by lack of lube, don’t expect servicing to include doing it it’s often left and UJ’s get dry.
Fill with water in the winter etc etc Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #963351 30th Aug 2022 11:48am
blackwolf

bodstruck wrote:
... From memory a whole prop only costs a few pounds more that a couple of UJs.

A quick google suggests that a blue box propshaft for a Puma 110 is around £200, and a genuine one up to £800. That will buy quite a lot of very good quality UJs!

I guess if you are paying someone to do the job however the labour cost will soon redress the balance, since changing the UJ will add perhaps half an hour to the remove/refit part of the job.
Post #963370 30th Aug 2022 3:08pm
MatLandy

Bow down Sound advice from all of you, appreciated Bow down

I have done all maintenance myself during the past 4 years I've owned this one, including greasing the propshafts twice a year, so a bit disappointed to find this. Anyway I guess the high summer temperatures combined with motorway speed on long distance trips has not helped this particular UJ at the back of the transfer box, which I suspect has overheated.

A new GKN rear propshaft for a 110 Puma (P/N LR010463) is about £‌450 while a new GKN UJ for the same propshaft (P/N RTC3458) is about £‌20. So the plan is to unbolt and drop the prop this weekend, try and change the UJ, and see how it goes.

If this does not work, well, i will do as we all usually do : take advantage of every failing bit on the Landy to upgrade for better (have already started lurking on Gwyn Lewis website Laughing)

/Mathias
Post #963375 30th Aug 2022 3:30pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
GKN UJ’s went in mine, been good since.
The biggest pain is getting the old ones out, typically because of the paint. Soaking it all in WD40 for days is ideal.
I preferred the sockets and vice approach rather than hammering the life out of it but that’s just me.
Some tippex and zip ties maybe useful too for putting it back exactly as you found it. Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #963390 30th Aug 2022 5:35pm
blackwolf

custom90steve wrote:
... hammering the life out of it ...

It's only a few gentle taps with a copper hammer, hardly "Forged in Fire"! Rolling with laughter

I find that trying to hold the propshaft together with the sockets/mandrels in all the right places while either tightening the vice or pumping the handle of the press is generally a PITA. Once you've mastered the "gentle tap" method you'll only go back to the old ways in the case of an unusually stubborn joint. Thumbs Up
Post #963395 30th Aug 2022 6:10pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I expect if I went to do the same job again it would be easier now but the paint around the original circlips was a real pain.
Especially the 2 - 4mm between the circlip and the outer where the bearing cup needs to be extracted through.
Funniest thing is, I did do a bit of hammering and with some that did do the job but on others they wouldn’t shift at all.

More of the story, grease your nipples.
UJ’s… Rolling with laughter Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #963396 30th Aug 2022 6:23pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
Sometimes getting large parts like a propshaft for a 110 to the rest of Europe can become quite expensive. I would be tempted to just replace the UJ and fit the new one with retaining compound, such as one from the loctite 600 series. If course, only if the rest of the shaft is still in good condition. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #963411 30th Aug 2022 8:09pm
Grenadier

As mentioned above, two cups were completely seized in place. So I used a grinder to cut the UJ through its narrowest point, essentially through the plastic collar, and then used a combination of WD40, heat, vice (with socket head acting as a press) and a hammer/socket/bish bash bosh combo. Took about half an hour to get them out. Total time for a single UJ, (dropping the shaft, removing UJ, cleaning and greasing shaft head, cleaning and greasing bolts, housing to rear diff etc), 3hrs. Spent an extra hour inspecting and cleaning/greasing all the other UJs and their respective moving parts and bolts. Easy job and nowhere near the cost of a new prop shaft. Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #963460 31st Aug 2022 7:27am
MatLandy

Update:I have ordered 2x GKN UJ’s, I should only need one but they are so cheap I thought I’d better have a spare at hand for future, unfortunately I don’t think they will be delivered in time for me to tackle this job on the weekend.
Anyway, I don’t expect the old one will be too much of a fight to take out. It really seems like the needles within the cup are seized so that it is the cup itself which turns inside the eye. I am worried though, as some have suggested here, that the new UJ cups might be loose in the eye… which will call for a new propshaft.

/Mat
Post #963488 31st Aug 2022 11:25am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>