↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > PUMA 2.2 - Metallic Squeeling Under Load
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
BaCoNMX6

Netherlands 
PUMA 2.2 - Metallic Squeeling Under Load
Hey All! Hoping for some advice here on a new issue with my 2.2 PUMA.

For the last couple weeks I have been havng a metallic screeching noise coming from the car. (video and pics here here https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1WT...p=sharing)

At first I thought it could be the belt however it seems to be exhaust/boost pressure related as it only happens under load and doesnt vary with revs or speed. Also it goes away once things are warm (Maybe 5-10 mins into the drive atm - but seems to be getting worse/taking longer to go away)

Reading around it sounded like it could be the turbo to exhaust manifold gasket however upon taking the heat shield off today I wasnt able to find any soot marks anywhere (although hard to see) and perhaps I am wrong but it also doesnt look like there is even a gasket at that joint?

While it was easily accessible I threw in a new v-band gasket and re-tensioned that but the issue is still there.

TBH I am just a bit hesitant to fully remove the turbo as the oil drain pipe looks to be a pain to remove and re-fit and the 3 studs needed to remove the turbo from the manifold also dont sound like fun..... So fingers crossed someone has any other ideas i can try first Laughing

Also (while its hard to tell for sure) the g/f taking the video said it sounded like it was coming from nearer the A/C compressor and not lower down near the exhaust connections....

Cheers for any and all advice!

Edit - For reference car has upgraded Allisport intercooler and hoses and there is no CEL or obvious loss of power and seems to be acheiving the same boost it was before the noise (peak of 26psi)
Post #962531 22nd Aug 2022 3:11pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Any change with it when you operate the clutch at all? Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #962535 22nd Aug 2022 3:45pm
BaCoNMX6

Netherlands 
Hey Steve, not sure I understand the question completely however the noise doesnt happen when free revving (out of gear or just clutch held in) and upon a gear change the noise stops until enough load is applied.

I do have a video while driving but its pretty useless due to road noise etc! haha
Post #962539 22nd Aug 2022 4:04pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Split hose to or from the intercooler, split intercooler, or a leak between head and exhaust manifold or manifold and turbo.
Post #962545 22nd Aug 2022 5:18pm
BaCoNMX6

Netherlands 
Hey Blackwolf,

Thanks for the reply...the last 2 (exhaust gasket related) is where my head is at simply due to the metallic noise and also goes away once things are warmed up which I wouldn't imagine being the case on the intake side (plus the entire intake system is only a few thousand kms old)

Is there anything EGR system related (joins or gaskets) that is worth checking?

And is manifold removal a big job? - and just replace the gasket or also studs/nuts/anything else?
Post #962550 22nd Aug 2022 7:15pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Turbo to exhaust manifold was a regular fail on my tdci.
Post #962558 22nd Aug 2022 8:00pm
BaCoNMX6

Netherlands 
Is there a gasket there from factory? My mechanic says there isn't (and it looks like there isn't) but there is one in the kit I bought so just curious. Also it is different to the 2.4 from what I can work out as there are a few HD options for that gasket for the 2.4 but nothing for the 2.2?
Post #962570 22nd Aug 2022 8:36pm
mwestcrew

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Baltic Blue
My early Puma, which was tuned to hel,l made that noise when it snapped an exhaust manifold stud (which it did a lot due to over high exhaust gas temperatures!!!) causing exhaust leak between head and manifold. 2011 130 Utility Body
2005 110 Van
Post #962574 22nd Aug 2022 9:49pm
mwestcrew

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Baltic Blue
Doh! Double post. 2011 130 Utility Body
2005 110 Van
Post #962575 22nd Aug 2022 9:54pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I can only speak for the 2.4, but imagine the 2.2 is the same.

There is a gasket between the head and the manifold, and between the manifold and the turbo, but not between the turbo and downpipe/cat/DPF.

Replacing either is not particularly difficult provided the the two inaccessible bolts behind the alternator bracket are sound, however there is a tendency for the threads in the head to strip for these which is a major complication since it involves a lot of dismantling to get access to helicoil them.

Leaks around the EGR are very rare compared to gasket leaks. If you have a remap the increased EGT tends to make the manifold flex in odd ways (which is what strips the threads) and the noises can be temperature dependent.
Post #962578 22nd Aug 2022 10:18pm
landhank

Germany 
Good morning,

the 2.2 has no gasket between manifold/turbo but has a gasket between turbo and DPF.
Post #962583 23rd Aug 2022 3:23am
BaCoNMX6

Netherlands 
Thanks Both!

The oil return bolts are exactly what is holding me back to be honest! They look like areal pain!

With respect to gaskets on the 2.2 it seems my understanding (and what my LR mechanic told me) is correct - there is a head/manifold gasket, and a turbo/DPF v-band gasket but nothing at the Turbo/manifold.

I know that Nakatanenga do an uprated gasket for the 2.4 however are clear it doesnt fit the 2.2 (and looks to be the slightly wrong shape too). However the turbo gasket kit i bought does have a turbo/manifold gasket in the kit....pics here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1WT...sp=sharing

Assuming when others have this issue they use a gasket....otherwise the only option is resurfacing the mating surfaces?

The other debate I am having given i havnt been able to see any soot yet so unsure if its the turbo/manifold or manifold/head gasket leaking is to replace them both since all the work 'seems' to be on removing the turbo..... is it just the exhaust manifol gasket to buy or is there another gasket or something between the manifold and EGR system near the firewall since i cant quite see whats back there? Also is it worth picking up new nuts and a couple studs just in case? And i have also seen exhaust stud spacers? never seen that before?

Pic attached - assuming the studs to watch for are the ones at the radiator end hidden behind the a/c compressor? And the squared section at the firewall end is what i am curious about on what it mounts to and if there is another gasket to check?

Cheers again for all the help!
Post #962667 23rd Aug 2022 6:52pm
landhank

Germany 
As far as i know the gasket between manifold and turbo is used when you put in a new turbo together with an used manifold (after checking if the manifold is not warped or something). If both parts are brandnew or machined you dont need a gasket.

The square thing at the firewall could be the EGR cooler? Check part nr. 1 here :

https://www.lrworkshop.com/diagrams/land-r...ve_2.2tdci

and obviously there is a gasket as well.

Have you checked the turbinewheels? Are they ok? Is there any play? For me it sounds more like a "mechanical" sound?!
Post #962710 24th Aug 2022 5:37am
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
To me sounds like the compressor or turbine (inside the turbocharger) touching their respective housings.
If you take the air intake connection off, you can feel the compressor. It is normal to have some radial play (so you can move the compressor a bit up/down/left/right) but it should have zero axial play (you should not be able to move in/out (forward backwards). 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #962711 24th Aug 2022 5:50am
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
The 2.2 may not have a gasket between the turbo and manifold like the 2.4, but on the 2.4 it isn’t the gasket that fails, it’s the mating surfaces warping, more than the gasket can seal. So are the 2.2 parts made of better stuff so they can’t warp.
Post #962721 24th Aug 2022 8:39am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>