↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Discovery 'short stick' R380 into Defender TD5?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
Procta

United Kingdom 
BuckBlu110 wrote:
Linds Hanson wrote:
The original R380 tunnel has a thick foam sound deadener glued to the underside the loss of this is causing your problem. The TDCI tunnel design doesnt allow enough space for underside sound deadening.

Unsure about when fitted to the original mt82, but there’s plenty of room when fitted over the r380, I’ve managed it just fine.

Procta, to be honest, if I knew back when I started the dash conversion, what I know now, I probably wouldn’t have bothered. I probably could/should have spent the money and effort on the mechanical side of things. Hindsight’s 20/20 as they say Rolling Eyes For the full conversion of the electrics, correct gearstick layout and instrument cluster, we’re talking ££££, and that’s without changing to the puma heater and making the fuse box more accessible. But I started back in 2011 before any of the plug and play options were available but dash parts were considerably cheaper.
It’s much easier these days with the likes of ministry of defenders kit, synchro gears stick adapter and Martin’s gauge adapter.
I would be half tempted to say buying a puma and swapping a td5 into it would have been cheaper for me Rolling with laughter
Don’t get me wrong, I’m very happy with how it turned out, and I probably didn’t need to be as ocd which may have saved a bit of money.
I suppose it’s how you value your money really.

Yeah i know the feeling, when i did the vvc engine conversion into a rover metro, for what i spent on doing that, i could have bought my TD5 and done that up, and it would be a lot less of a hassle, on info and parts. The amount of money i threw at it, just to get the car right, ended up been a bottomless hole, to the point, my mam said might be best to call it a day. Me and my dad were over the moon on how it all turned out, as it was a journey for us both. But if you are going do something then its worth doing it right and spending the money. Our car ended so factory fit under the bonnet was unreal, i started to introduce Lotus Elise parts to the car, which dialled in more etc, i couldn't go through that again, which is why i left the 306 alone.

I like the dash conversion, and its something i would look at in the future, but as you say is it worth it and how far do you really want to go, To get it perfect. Its like the vvc conversion we did, we done it OEM. So if you are going to do it, do it properly as you say. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #975934 29th Dec 2022 3:35am
andy2111

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
I finally found the South African company that offer a range of custom Defender dashboards

https://gforcebuggies.com/dash-boards/

Click image to enlarge

If I was doing this all over again I think I'd go for their MK4 dash and possibly have it finished in leather. I'd also consider upgrading/modernising the instruments and maybe use something like this in the new dash (clearly without the Puma surround!)

https://ministryofdefender.co.uk/buy-puma-...category=0

Good luck Procta if you do decide to upgrade to Puma - happy to share what I learned the hard way, so PM me if you ever need anything TD5 hardtop to Puma inspired Poptop - my build thread

2002 110 TD5 Hardtop ¦ Full Puma interior ¦ Carpathian grey / Santorini black ¦ X-Vision-X poptop
Post #975972 29th Dec 2022 2:37pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
cheers Thumbs Up nice to hear that there is some info and advice on such a mod Thumbs Up Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #976230 1st Jan 2023 2:20am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123