Home > Wheels & Tyres > MICKEY THOMPSON BAJA BOSS A/T
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
MICKEY THOMPSON BAJA BOSS A/T
Morning all, been a while.

I’ve been on the hunt for a new tyre for some time, and I’m inching (or actually millimetring - if that’s a word) ever closer to making final purchase.

I’ve wanted, if at all possible, a more rugged and robust looking tyre, (than current KO2s) but whilst still retaining good road manners and, importantly, three peak rating. Something that looks like the Cooper STT Pro, with the manners of the ST Maxx, and the snow/winter ability of the KO2s.

I didn’t think there was such a thing, as the STT Pro and ST Maxx are not fully three peak/snow flake rated. And the BFG is not quite chunky enough looking on the side wall. But it seems the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T (which I’d never heard of) meet all the criteria. Great looking, super pedigree, good road manners (for an AT), low noise (for an AT), super robust.

This I’ve gleaned from US based reviews, which rate them very very highly. But just wondering if anyone has them on their Def, or if anyone has used them? In the UK/EU, for some more local feedback, as we know EU roads, weather etc can be very different from that in the US.

Any thoughts? Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #961947 17th Aug 2022 6:53am
Muddybigdog

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Was told the tyres were made by Goodyear, bloke at the garage was raving about them, but too ££££ for my wallet Jumped ship to reliability - Mitsubishi L200
Puma 90 XS - Sold
D3 - 2.7 S x2 (both Sold)
Freelander 2 HSE - Sold
Freelander 1 - Sold
Disco 2 - Sold
Post #961949 17th Aug 2022 7:08am
Grenadier

Interestingly for the size I need, and in France, they’re no different in price to KO2s. As for ownership, they’re owned by Cooper, so loads of pedigree. Whether Cooper are owned by Goodyear, dunno. But watching reviews, as your guy says, reviews are universally good. And certainly comparative with the KO2s, but offering something a little different.

Edit. Goodyear own Cooper. Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

Last edited by Grenadier on 17th Aug 2022 8:39am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #961951 17th Aug 2022 7:39am
kenzle8a

Can you get hold of them in Europe with ease? Mickey Thompson don't seem to have much a presence / EU or UK distribution.
Post #961957 17th Aug 2022 8:06am
Grenadier

Certainly found them listed on at least one French site, but this doesn’t necessarily equate to availability or delivery times. Which can both be a very flexible concept in France. Whistle

https://www.centralepneus.fr/pneu-auto/mic...4t-1451056 Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #961958 17th Aug 2022 8:19am
Grenadier

Silverline do the ATZ so maybe they can source the Baja Boss?

https://www.silverlinewheels-tyres.com/mickey-thompson-tyres/ Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #961960 17th Aug 2022 8:25am
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Pity they don’t do 255/85 r16. I guess you are looking at the 265/75 r16 , noting they do a 285/75 r16 but in my mind that width poses other challenges.
Post #961989 17th Aug 2022 12:00pm
Puddings 3112

On a standard car tyre, the American version always used to be made of a harder rubber because of market demands for a high mileage tyre and the prevailing road design of far fewer corners per mile compared to Europe. In Europe a softer rubber compound was used for better cornering but at the expense of significantly lower mileage. Tyre Review.com did a side by side comparison a few years ago on a performance tyre that was produced for both markets to show the difference. My understanding is that the difference is less now at the top of the performance market but is still marked lower down the range

How this translates to all terrain 4x4 tyres is not clear because the market and driving styles are significantly different to a road biased 4x4/SUV tyre although I still hear Americans talking about getting far higher mileages from an off road tyre than I do on either my defender or previous discos
Post #961994 17th Aug 2022 1:46pm
Grenadier

I’m ok actually as I’m looking at 18” of which there seem to be quite a variety of options. I’m running KO2s on 265/65, but keen to go just a tad bigger, but not so large that a. It looks stupid and b. That I lose the three peak rating which is unavailable on their tyres over 315 wide. So I’ll probably go for the 285/65 (assuming they fit my Bowlers). Just want something with a shade more presence without being silly. Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #961996 17th Aug 2022 1:49pm
Grenadier

Puddings 3112 wrote:
On a standard car tyre, the American version always used to be made of a harder rubber because of market demands for a high mileage tyre and the prevailing road design of far fewer corners per mile compared to Europe. In Europe a softer rubber compound was used for better cornering but at the expense of significantly lower mileage. Tyre Review.com did a side by side comparison a few years ago on a performance tyre that was produced for both markets to show the difference. My understanding is that the difference is less now at the top of the performance market but is still marked lower down the range

How this translates to all terrain 4x4 tyres is not clear because the market and driving styles are significantly different to a road biased 4x4/SUV tyre although I still hear Americans talking about getting far higher mileages from an off road tyre than I do on either my defender or previous discos

Interesting, as I’ve got 50k miles out of my KO2s. We’re not far from done, but still comfortably legal and I could even extend the life if I swapped back to front one last time. But they’re noticeably harder and noisier and not great in the damp. And I’d want to be ready for winter (even though I’ve no idea where the precipitation is going to come from given we’ve not seen any really rainfall in months) as I think my KO2s would be nigh on useless in cold/snowy conditions.

I’m really liking the look, specs and reviews on this tyre. I might have found that perfect balance, with all the prerequisite skills I need from a tyre. Daily driver, year round use, lots of twisty roads, occasional forays to gravel or trails, some m-way mileage, low noise, good looks, snow rated. Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #961997 17th Aug 2022 1:55pm
Puddings 3112

I used various generations of Grabber ATs on my Discoverys and they used to be shot in 15k miles. The KM3s on the 90 are lasting impressively well although my mileage is a fraction and significantly slower

I will be interested to hear how you get on with the Mickey Thompsons though, especially if they are priced keenly compared to the KO3/KM3
Post #961999 17th Aug 2022 2:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1