↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Expedition Roof Rack Repair
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Hornets79

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Keswick Green
Expedition Roof Rack Repair
Hi, I have a genuine Land Rover Expedition Roof Rack that has areas of rust on the top rails, I belive the original coating on these is a Thermoplastic similar to what is used on park benches, childrens park slides / swings etc as thermoplastics are difficult for paint adhesion has anyone any solutions for repair of rusted areas, you tube shows repairs using Polyarmor Powder that seem fairly easy and straight forward however cant find where you can buy these and the cost. any help would be greatly appreciated
Post #961750 15th Aug 2022 3:55pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
In my experience, you are on a hiding to nothing trying to repair it piecemeal. It is very likely that any corrosion has crept a reasonable distance beyond just the area you can see suffering. I'd be looking to have the whole thing blasted and re-coated. Whether that is economic or not I don't know. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #961755 15th Aug 2022 4:20pm
NDF

2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Java Black
Agree, corrosion will almost certainly have spread under the paint. I removed the offending sections (taking it back to good paint at a junction of members), wire brushed and gave it a few coats of Buzzweld CIO, making sure to concentrate on where the old finish ends to help stop creep. I am sure it will be a temp fix, but has lasted a couple of years and looks surprising good. Would be tempted to use CIO if/when I do the whole thing.

Given how a LR chassis rots I also gave the inside of the roof rack a good dose of Corrosion Block (a thicker version of ACF50)
Post #961777 15th Aug 2022 6:35pm
sako243

Wales 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Alpine White
Depends on the abuse the roof rack may see sliding things and off but I'd personally avoid CIO. I and a couple of others have tried it on galv, bare steel, rusted steel, primed, varying temperatures and whilst easy to apply and looks good initially it hasn't held up to what I'd call fairly typical Defender use. In fact the factory paint from 1994 has held up where its still on better. Neutral Ed
82 Hotspur Sandringham 6x6
95 Defender 110 300Tdi
Post #961904 16th Aug 2022 6:02pm
jimbo55

United Kingdom 
In my opinion it’s a bit of an all or nothing situation, you either strip the whole lot and repair it all and paint it or do nothing. Just doing the bits you can see will do nothing in the grand scheme of things. But be warned, what you see will be nothing when you see the whole lot. They are very prone to rusting out.

Their agree with Sako and avoid CIO, it’s not the best product and gets raved about because someone got Facebook famous for basically rebranding corroless products for automotive use instead of on oil rigs which have significantly different environments to be used in.. In Craig’s defence though his galv in one stuff is a massive improving over chassis in one and does hold up much better on a Land Rover (regardless of if it’s galv or not) so
Post #961935 16th Aug 2022 9:35pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1