Home > Td5 > 1999 Defender 110 or 2001 Defender 110
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
doruk1981

Switzerland 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
1999 Defender 110 or 2001 Defender 110
Hi,
I'm a long time fan of the Defender 110 and am in the process of getting a 110 for road trips and camping (got a roof top tent on my Discovery that will be relocated to the Defender). Basically it'll be the husband car while the discovery will shift a bit to the wifey.

Currently I'm looking at two models one from 1999 a one owner (lawyer) car that was solely used on the road with annual 15k km (+/-) - so it has accumulated already some 330k km. the other one is from 2001 and is actively used already as a camper conversion but has accumulated less KM (around 225k km). both are priced at about 21k Euro - so price wise both are interesting and on the lower end where you definitely need to keep an eye on the potential deficiencies of the shells ...

The 1999 is currently with a Defender specialized dealership and was traded in when the owner upgraded to the recent model. The 2001, looks also clean but not as clean as the lawyers daily driver obviously.

I'm rather familiar with the peculiarities of the Defenders in regards of the frame having the tendency to rust, the door as well etc. so at some point there might be a focused restauration required.

The interiors I note have differences especially in regards of the Dash section. is there a valid reason to go with the 2001 versions? or are the changes primarily cosmetic? the 99 one has some custom seats that definitely are an upgrade to the standard Defender seats.

Also was thinking of getting a new Engine at some point as part of the overhaul of the car anyhow ...

So my question for the seasoned Defender drivers is: does it make sense to get a 99 version or does it make more sense to get a newer one due some of the kinks having been ironed out meanwhile?

I'm based in Switzerland, so I'm hunting for LHR Defender all around Europe - ideally in the sub 25k range.
Post #961717 15th Aug 2022 12:03pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
The later one will have a later version of the engine (15P in stead of 10P), which is a good thing. It should, I think, also have the later pressed steel rear door, which is also a good thing. You can tell the latter if the glass has rounded corners at the bottom.

All other things being equal, later is better but that's very much dependent on condition. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #961725 15th Aug 2022 12:37pm
doruk1981

RE:
Hi LandRoverAnorak,

thanks for the information - I will keep that in mind. Given most engines are 200k+km, I was honestly planning already for a second engine to rebuild and drop into the bay after next year's summer. Somehow my mind even went to the 16p and jump over 15p ....
Post #961742 15th Aug 2022 2:20pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I've not heard of a 16P variant. There was an 18P but that was for the ROW market and was essentially the same as a 15P but without the emissions control equipment. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #961752 15th Aug 2022 3:08pm
4RF RDS

Canada 2000 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Epsom Green
I have a 1999 build (2000MY 110) which I imported from Germany many years ago. If you get one with a good frame and little rust you can keep it in great shape. Mine was kind of a unicorn in that it was a one owner (government owned) and dealer serviced its whole life till I bought it.

The 10P motor has been bullet proof.

Good luck

Click image to enlarge
 2010 Range Rover MkIII Autobiography Super Charged (Idris)
2003 Range Rover Mk III (Desmond FitzWilliam)
2000 Defender 110 CSW TD5 (CTX)
1992 Range Rover Classic (Lizzy)
1972 Series III 300 Tdi (Stanwood)
1967 MGB GT

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
Post #961770 15th Aug 2022 5:05pm
doruk1981

update
Talked yesterday lenghtly with the owner of the newer 2001 Defender. its a second owner car that's been with the family for the past 15 years. They're selling just because the family grew and now their going to camper convert a truck ..

As expected, it has its rust spots that will need some maintenance in 2-3 years (such as the doors) and at some point the rear cross member. But its still mild and does not require an immediate replacement. so I think with some love and some tools it can be taken care off for the time being before a new crossmember would become necessary.
Paint apparently also has some bubbles here and there. but I guess I'll deal with them when i order the new doors the year after next.

Drivetrain wise, he did come forth and told me that there is some mild seepage of oils in the underbelly.. but i think that's quite common? nothing that can't be taken care of with a new set of seals...

Bushings, fluids, gearbox etc all maintenanced. Bushings were replaced 3 years ago. Flywheel replaced about 100k km ago. Will check on the clutch, in worst case I'll need to replace that in the nearer future.

All paperworks are accounted for in regards of the maintances.
Fun enough - on top - the car comes with a fully revised 15p engine on a crate as well.
Post #962079 18th Aug 2022 6:41am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1