↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Help: alarm keeps going off (Puma)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Perspicacious

Australia 
Help: alarm keeps going off (Puma)
Nearly every time I lock my doors the alarm goes off, even though all of the doors are shut. The alarm is the double beep-beep beep-beep beep-beep that you get when you lock the car with a door open. But it just keeps going instead of beep-beeping once.

When I do manage to lock the without the beep-beeping then, after some indeterminate period, the alarm goes off but this is the single beep beep beep.

I have noticed that the internal light often comes on when I drive even though I have the switch in the position for the light to come on only when a door is open. This makes me think there is a loose wire somewhere as the car seems to think a door is open when it is not.

I have taken to the dealer, who said they found a frayed wire and fixed it. Problem was solved for 2 weeks but has come back.

I have noticed that when I lock the car with the key (not the fob) the doors lock and then immediately unlock.

Any ideas?
Post #92189 1st Oct 2011 4:29am
WelshGas

Wales 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Have you checked the "Dealer" repair? Question
Each door has a pressure switch, as does the bonnet, that completes a circuit to earth. Normally held in a door pillar via 1 self-tapper. Check each one. Obviously drivers door has most use. Thumbs Up LANDYWATCH

Neighbourhood Watch for Land Rover Owners

http://www.landywatch.co.uk/smf2/index.php
Post #92190 1st Oct 2011 5:51am
kingofthesparks

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
had this problem several times when i had my puma, either the bracket on the door needs bending out to push switch in more or screw needs tightening i,e poor earth, seems worse on hot days due to expansion.
Post #92194 1st Oct 2011 8:40am
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Also worth looking at is the bracket for the bonnet switch.

Both mine and a mates car had the same issue.

To test make a ball out of tape and put it on to the switch, shut the bonnet and test the alarm. If Ok bend the bracket up a little.

Good luck

Mark
Post #92207 1st Oct 2011 10:28am
pjw4233

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Have the same problem with mine. Bad connection/earth on the inside light. It only effects mine when really wet, ie just after using jet wash or after travelling on motorway when there is alot af spray. I've had to disconnect the central locking and just use the key to lock and unlock doors until I have time to go to dealer which probably will not happen until the the first service is due. I didn't realise there was also a switch on bonnet, I'll have a look at this is I've tried all the door switches.
Post #92466 3rd Oct 2011 8:29pm
Dave-H

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Tonga Green
Try a better dealer!

If they plug it in to nanocom it will tell them exactly what switch/sensor activated it. The alarm ECU logs the last two activations.

HTH Guns and Landrovers .... anything else is irrelevant.
Post #92471 3rd Oct 2011 8:42pm
Perspicacious

Australia 
Turned out be a ECU problem. New ECU (second replacement) sorted the problem.

IMHO the electronics on the Defender is the Achilles heel. I have had plenty of problems with the alarm system, doors not locking and the engine not starting. All ultimately sourced back to an electronic problem. Apart from a weeping transfer case seal (but that is normal as far as I can tell) I've not had a mechanical problem.

Sometimes I think about selling my girl because of the problems. But I'd miss her. Now I have 35,000km on the clock and most of the problems sorted. A few trips to the High Country, Fraser Island, the Simpson Desert and assorted days trips around Melbourne have convinced me that a Defender has no peer for serious off road work. And my wife loves it! She drives the Defender in preference to "her" Mercedes.
Post #95166 20th Oct 2011 10:15am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1