↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Another starting issue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
BIMbound

Another starting issue
Hello Folks, hoping to get so advice please on a starting issue that been plaguing me for months.

2007 TDCi, 106k. Had intermittent starting failures where it would cease cranking and after a couple of key resets off it would go. These became more frequent and eventually had the starter replaced (new Bosch unit). Started a treat for 6-7 times then the problems continued so after research here in D2N replaced the ignition switch.
Current state of play is after 2 good starts on the 3rd time it started to crank for a split second then stopped and is now completely dead apart from the dash lights come on in position 2 with the exception of the glow indicators.

What we have done so far
Checked Earths
Checked Fuses
New starter motor
New ignition switch
Battery 12 months old, connections are solid.

I'm going to try and check the relays with a meter tonight but other than that I'm running out of ideas. The only other thing I have not done is that I remember seeing something about a possible fault with the instrument pack?
Any significance in the glow plug lights not being lit now when they were before?

Look forward to your comments / suggestsions 2007 TDCi 90 XS
Post #961004 8th Aug 2022 1:45pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Just in case you can’t remember where you read the Issue with the Instrument cluster, here it is https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic47486-90.html

Bottom of page 7, post by Martin.
Post #961053 8th Aug 2022 9:49pm
BIMbound

Thanks Ianh, going to have a bit of time on it again in the morning with a multimeter and a bridge for the ipac pins. Will report back 2007 TDCi 90 XS
Post #961055 8th Aug 2022 9:57pm
MichaelE

England 
When you say you've checked the earths, have you physically removed them, cleaned the surfaces and refitted them? Or have you just given them a tug to see if they're tight? I say this because a couple of years ago I went through nearly 2 months of trying to track down complete electrical failure whilst trying to work outside in the endless rain we were having.

I had the instrument binnacle and fuse panel off and a multimeter stuck in to every possible contact and getting odd readings. Occasionally it would come to life for a few seconds then die.

Sometimes when It had come to life and tried to start it, I would hear a momentary sizzle that I couldn't quite pinpoint. So one rainy day I was laying underneath having turned the ignition on and switched the wipers on so I could hear if it came to life. I tugged on the earth cable from the battery to the gearbox. Yes, it was tight. Couldn't move it. But in trying to move it I bent the tab that bolts to the gearbox a little. Then I heard the wipers operate for a couple of seconds then stop. Bent it back, same thing. I lay there and relaxed in peace as the rain mingled with my tears of happiness.

Yes, the earth was bolted tight. I unbolted it and looked at the surfaces and they seemed perfectly ok. Nothing that would normally give me cause for concern. I cleaned them up with some wet & dry, refitted.........problem solved.

You know what to do.

Last edited by MichaelE on 9th Aug 2022 3:57pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #961066 9th Aug 2022 12:23am
BIMbound

Thanks MichaelE, that's good advice and no I'd hadn't been to the lengths that you suggest so I need to do that.
Interestingly I had half an hour on it before work and when I initially turned the key the glow plug light came on..... A-ha I think we could well be on here and sure enough it started 1st turn and ran for all of 4 seconds and then cut out and on a restart attempt sure enough the glow plugs did not illuminate in the instrument cluster.
Never seen anything like this before... 2007 TDCi 90 XS
Post #961108 9th Aug 2022 12:50pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
It does seem more like an earth or relay issue.

when you checked your relays did you remove them and made sure the terminals will be tight on reinsertion.
Post #961148 9th Aug 2022 5:30pm
BIMbound

Relays is a job for the morning, ran out of daylight. I managed to bridge pins 3&4 on the ipac and checked cleaned one of the earth headers. No joy. Will report back. Thanks again 2007 TDCi 90 XS
Post #961185 9th Aug 2022 9:52pm
BIMbound

Well checked all the relays with a multi meter, cleaned and swapped for known working ones from other locations to the starter circuit and still dead - lights on, gauges up but no glow plug lights and no attempt to start.
Even without glow plug heating it would attempt to start right? Wonder what the significance of the lack of lights to the fault. Any thoughts anyone please? 2007 TDCi 90 XS
Post #961259 10th Aug 2022 4:35pm
BIMbound

Spent today cleaning and reattaching earths, no change still no glow plug lights or an attempt to start.
Checked for shorts, none found battery drain a few milliamperes.

Having already checked the relays themselves I checked the circuit with a multimeter, can anyone confirm for me that on the starter relay there is a permanent 12v on the brown and white, a 12v feed (red/white) delivered by the ignition switch when turned to crank and an earth provided by the ecu on the black and orange.
Thanks… 2007 TDCi 90 XS
Post #961580 13th Aug 2022 11:02pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Check Earth connections at K108 and K109
Post #961582 13th Aug 2022 11:29pm
BIMbound

Thanks, I checked and cleaned the 2 earth headers on the engine side of the bulkhead (k109 is earth c0550) these were the last 2 to remove, clean and check. No change unfortunately.

I am beginning to suspect maybe a faulty 10as as I had a double horn beep when I attempted to lock the car from the fob and al doors were shut. The range on the fobs is poor also. Anyway to prove this theory? 2007 TDCi 90 XS
Post #961613 14th Aug 2022 2:00pm
BIMbound

Okay so mis-lock double beep sorted, bonnet sensor had given up the ghost... starting issue remains.

Followed this thread and Martin's advice https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83794.html to use a wire to bridge the relay terminals. Still no glow plugs, starter turns over but will not fire so guessing fuel pump or whatever else is immobilised.
Had the meter on the 'ground' wire provided by the ECU and there is no continuity to earth when cranking. 2007 TDCi 90 XS
Post #961858 16th Aug 2022 12:10pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Have you changed the fob battery? , a long shot but you said the fob range was low so it may not be transmitting well to the receiver near the ignition switch.
Post #961871 16th Aug 2022 1:53pm
BIMbound

I'm will to try anything Ian, I'll stick some new ones in, the range on them has never been great ( standing about a meter away is about it) they've been in a year so prob overdue. 2007 TDCi 90 XS
Post #961872 16th Aug 2022 2:04pm
BIMbound

Back on the dead Puma again today Sad

Independent garage came out and read the faults yesterday, nothing doing.

Today, unlocked and went to turn the key having been left for a day and the glow plug indicator lamps came on which usually means bingo, key turned to crank and it ran for 3 seconds and cut. No more glow plug lighty.

Both remote batteries swapped for new ones and a reset done (ignition turn to position 2 then off, battery negative disconnect, fob buttons held in after old battery removal, new ones in. Battery reconnected, re-sync done 4 lock presses) no change Evil or Very Mad

every other function of the 10AS is working can it really be messing with immobilisation?

ECU? Been dead on the drive for 3 weeks and no further forward. 2007 TDCi 90 XS
Post #962353 20th Aug 2022 8:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>