↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Lockable fuel cap
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
whiterdesign

United Kingdom 
Lockable fuel cap
As most of you know the latest Defenders do not have a lockable fuel flap, I’ve been told that the new RR doesn’t have one either. In Vulkan latest video they say that the problem is caused by a modification to the Body Control Module, which is probably down to the chip shortage. They have developed an electronic unit which will allow the flap to lock but by the sound of it not any easy item to diy fit, and will initially only be available for them to fit. So my question is has anybody fitted a lockable cap as I’m not happy to have my filler unlocked especially at the moment with the fuel prices I guess that the cap will be the same for the disco 5 , RR sport and RR, but I don’t know. 110 XS 250 MY 23 Gondwana Stone, Cold climate pack and towbar
Post #960852 6th Aug 2022 8:07pm
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 V8 Petrol 50th Auto Chawton White
Don't all modern cars have an anti syphon device fitted in them now? I thought it was some EU directive that they had to have one.
Have you heard of anybody having fuel syphoned out of their modern car lately? Last time I had fuel syphoned off from one of my cars was in 1976 when some Censored syphoned my last gallon of petrol out of a Hillman Avenger I was using at the time, it was parked on our filling station car park overnight so wasn't a big deal Laughing
The biggest worry is somebody sticking a spike through the bottom of the tank, they take what they want and just let the rest drain out Evil or Very Mad Cheers Ian
--------------------
22MY Defender 110 D200 SE, Fuji White.
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Instagram @defender_v8
Post #960863 6th Aug 2022 9:44pm
Nuclear Nick

United Kingdom 
Re: Lockable fuel cap
whiterdesign wrote:
As most of you know the latest Defenders do not have a lockable fuel flap, I’ve been told that the new RR doesn’t have one either. In Vulkan latest video they say that the problem is caused by a modification to the Body Control Module, which is probably down to the chip shortage. They have developed an electronic unit which will allow the flap to lock but by the sound of it not any easy item to diy fit, and will initially only be available for them to fit. So my question is has anybody fitted a lockable cap as I’m not happy to have my filler unlocked especially at the moment with the fuel prices I guess that the cap will be the same for the disco 5 , RR sport and RR, but I don’t know.

Yes, these models from April on do not have locking filler flap:

Specification update as part of JLR's response to chip shortage. This feature will be disabled from the following Vins.
L551 - SALZA2BN8NH169600
L550 - SALCA2AX9NH909101
L560 - SALYA2BN9NA328791
L663 - SALEA6RX5N2092300
L462 - SALRA2BW8N2463249
L460 - SALKA9BU9NA000566

The LR directive to dealerships effectively instructs them to tell customers to f**k off and stop complaining!

PowerfulUK are also looking into a mod for this as the hardware and loom is present, just not the signal from the BCM.

The tailgate soft close was deleted for the same reason but in this case the hardware is not fitted so a retrofit will be more involved.
Post #960893 7th Aug 2022 8:25am
J77

Scotland 
My 23MY won’t have it I’m guessing, haven’t checked, for me it’s not an issue. The locking fuel flap wouldn’t stop anyone, a quick tug and it would be open in seconds.

The soft close it definitely doesn’t have but again no issue, never made use of it on my 90, never saw the point of it. 23.5MY 90 D250 X-Dynamic SE, Pangea Green
Gone - 23MY 110 D250 XS Edition, Hakuba Silver
Gone - 21MY 90 D200 S, Tasman Blue, Fuji White roof.
Post #960926 7th Aug 2022 2:16pm
whiterdesign

United Kingdom 
That’s why I was looking at a locking cap, as you say a screwdriver would soon open the flap. 110 XS 250 MY 23 Gondwana Stone, Cold climate pack and towbar
Post #960927 7th Aug 2022 2:19pm
Tim in Scotland

I sure as hell won’t miss the soft close that my 110 has and my ordered 90 probably won’t have. Sometimes it can be a frustrating battle to get the tailgate open before the soft close decides I’m really trying to close the door, not open it. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #961072 9th Aug 2022 7:23am
spudfan

Ireland 
Our work vans had the anti syphon thing on them. One of them was impeding filling and causes splashing
out while being filled. A mechanic came out and removed the anti syphon thing...with a coat hanger . 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #961158 9th Aug 2022 6:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1