↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Number Plate Light wiring
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
jerseyman

Number Plate Light wiring
I am replacing a broken number plate light on my 2.4 Puma with a Wipac LED.

I have spent the afternoon so far doing a "20 minute job" and having reached the stage where I have dismantled sufficient of the interior trim to reach the Sumimoto connector. I have failed to work out how to remove the connector from the fastener holding it to the floor (Looks as if it should slide off, but blowed if I can do it) and then realised that even if I did manage to get it off the floor, working out how to separate it would probably defeat me. So I now intend to just snip and join the wiring.

The wiring on the original is Black (Earth) and Red/Black(Live). The wiring on the replacement is Brown and white. I assume Brown is live? but before I solder and heat shrink would just like to confirm it.

(Once I have got this stupidly fiddly job done I then need to spend a fun hour Googling and ordering replacement fasteners for the trim. I swear someone at Landrover was giggling to himself when he specified the bits!)
Post #960437 3rd Aug 2022 4:54pm
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
I can't confirm the wire colours, but temporarily connect the wires by twisting them together and test to make sure the LED light works. If all is OK, then solder and heat shrink.
Thumbs Up
Post #960447 3rd Aug 2022 7:18pm
Soulrider911

United States 1989 Defender 90 2.5 TD SW Chawton White
I just rewired the whole left rear corner of my 89. Maybe I can help. Is the connector your talking about a bullet connector junction? like a round oblong potato-looking deal?

Is the new light an LED? If you have a 9v battery lying around touch the leads to a 9v battery should light up... you will be able to figure out what is POS and what is NEG. My guess is White is HOT (+) 1989 Defender 90
2022 Defender 110 SE
DIY’er | Always learning
Post #960459 3rd Aug 2022 8:11pm
jerseyman

Thanks guys, being new to LEDs I thought that if I connected the wrong way then the LEDs would fry, from this advice I guess not!

Soulrider, on my Puma the connector is one of the modern press here, push there whilst muttering an incantation in order to separate the two parts, then you have to find a method of getting out and reusing the pins. I think it's called progress!
Post #960494 4th Aug 2022 8:36am
Balvaig

Scotland 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Landmark LE Corris Grey
Generally if you connect an LED the wrong way, it does no harm, it just doesn't work.
Always best to use a multimeter on the existing wiring to determine 12v and negative. LR are renowned for not following the wiring diagram and transposing wires, which doesn't matter on incandescent lights.

Last edited by Balvaig on 4th Aug 2022 1:48pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #960496 4th Aug 2022 9:05am
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
LED stands for Light Emitting Diode. So as the name suggests it is a Diode. A diode is like a non return valve in a hydraulic or pneumatic system. If you connect in one way, the current (like water, oil or air) will flow and the LED will illuminate. If you connect it the opposite way, the current will not flow and the LED will not illuminate. There is no harm to the LED if you connect the wrong way. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #960505 4th Aug 2022 11:16am
jerseyman

For the Wipac LED Number Plate light, the Brown lead is, as expected, Live

The part number for the spring clips is BTR6682

The part number for a kit of fittings for the speaker trim is (I think) STC62025.
Post #960683 5th Aug 2022 4:05pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1