↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Going further than Morocco... organised convoys?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Gasket

Going further than Morocco... organised convoys?
Hi all - my first post in this section.

Over the years I've come close to having a vehicle in which I was sufficiently confident to go on an organised Morocco trip (Series IIIs and Discoveries) but always had niggles about reliability or never finished the build sheets before selling. However, as my Puma build is nearing completion - I now have just the machine.

So Morocco is planned (though not yet booked) for Q1 next year.

But looking ahead, are there any firms that the forum have used that can be used to provide support to travel a little further? I've spent time in Tanzania in the past and would love to see more of Africa.

I think that I could easily swing 4 weeks to travel, so that would still limit me to the north. Failing that putting the vehicle into a container and shipping to SA and working up might give more bang for buck. Its important to us that we use our own car - she's family, rather than hiring one out there.

So - based on the above can anyone point me towards any websites of companies that might be able to support the trip a little.

I keep considering just going (and might feel better about it after having done a Morocco trip next year) and doing it solo, but for now I'd feel better with some degree of support.

Open to any thoughts.
Post #959754 27th Jul 2022 6:51pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
How about Namibia? I can recommend Neil Hopkinson and Impala Adventures, who run trips there amongst other places. I did a trip to Norway many years ago with Neil and whilst I haven't done the Namibia trip, I have met several that have and who thoroughly enjoyed it.

https://impalaadventures.com/product/etosh...kaokoland/ Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #959786 28th Jul 2022 5:57am
camelman

United Kingdom 
I put mine in a container to WAlvis Bay in Namibia a few years back and then spent a year driving it back home. Definitely more bang for your buck as you say.

Click image to enlarge

Post #959793 28th Jul 2022 6:45am
camelman

United Kingdom 
Namibia is a place you can easily organise on your own.
I lived out there for a couple of years running expeditions to most of the far flung corners.
Drop me a pm if you want more info. 
Post #959798 28th Jul 2022 7:14am
Gasket

that is brilliant info - thank you both very much!

I'll check out impala adventures above and Camelman when I get a bit closer to being able to do it then I'll drop you a PM (or buy you a pint, I'm often in your neck of the woods).

At this stage its still looking at feasibility - I'm a long, long way away from doing any formal planning or from wasting anyone's time, but Namibia and Botswana happen to be two places near the top of my list to see. Strangely I hadn't even considered shipping to Namibia, in my head I just considered SA as the only shipping option and that's actually the one place I'm not too fussed about visiting by car.

The duration are up to 8-weeks now, did the maths on time away from work last night. Still no where near enough to do a pan Africa trip, but plenty to potter around a couple of sub-saharan countries if I'm shipping the thing.
Post #959868 28th Jul 2022 4:55pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
Try Ardventures. Russ does that sort of thing a lot and his trips are very well organised and a real relaxed easy going adventure.
Post #959870 28th Jul 2022 5:25pm
SJM2018

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Aintree Green
My dream is to buy a 90 2.8i in South Africa and then drive it back to the UK.

In recent years, there was never a doable route. But with things calming down in Ethiopia and Sudan, you could make it all the way to Alexandria and then get a ferry to Venice.

Maybe ship to Cape Town and then work your way back! 2011 CSW XS 90
Post #959872 28th Jul 2022 5:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1