Home > Td5 > Trailer Light with Indicator
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Craig772

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
Trailer Light with Indicator
Hi all,

I've had my 2000 reg TD5 Defender 90 a couple of months now and are working through my to do list. I've noticed that when I indicate left or right I have the trailer icon on the dash lit up for a flash when the indicator first comes on. Maybe it lasts a bit longer on occasion. Yesterday it was just on by itself for a second or two.

I've plugged in a trailer board and all lights work as they should. Is this the trailer icon coming on as per design or is there something else going on? If it's a fault I am guessing it's a bad earth somewhere. If so where would that most likley be?

TIA.
Post #959537 26th Jul 2022 9:19am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Your best bet is to go around all the earth points, clean them up and you'll have another job ticked off.

Click image to enlarge
Post #959539 26th Jul 2022 9:35am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
The trailer light is supposed to flash once each time that you indicate without a trailer plugged in. If it's coming on on its own though, there's a problem somewhere. I'd start by checking the condition of the towing socket and the wiring to it, looking for corrosion that might be bridging to earth or damaged cables. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #959541 26th Jul 2022 9:45am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Following on from LRA. If your Defender has had a replacement rear cross member it is possible the garage cut the loom and re-spliced it back together afterwards. This could be a problem area depending on how well the loom was repaired after the cross member welding.
Post #959543 26th Jul 2022 9:52am
Craig772

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
@Geobloke Brill, that's a v. useful diagram. I'll also follow the loom back and check for joins. Cheers.

@LandRoverAnorak That's a bit counter intuitive, you'd think it would be the other way around. Good to know. Yes, I am going to investigate the socket and clean it up if neccesary. It's 7 pin and I have 7 pin trailers and a 13 pin caravan so may look to install a double socket to avoid using the caravan adaptor. I haven't tested that yet but the 13 pin to 7 pin I used on my previous vehicle for the trailers worked OK so I am not sure it's worth the effort and I don't use anything besides the lights.

@
Post #959545 26th Jul 2022 10:02am
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
You can check all the earth points, replace and add extras and still have the dam thing illuminate when it feels like it Big Cry been on going on mine for 18 months and many hours trying to sort and still no nearer. My conclusion is it’s shorting inside the chassis somewhere …. Just not all the time Whistle
Post #959643 26th Jul 2022 11:05pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Re: Trailer Light with Indicator
Craig772 wrote:
Hi all,

I've had my 2000 reg TD5 Defender 90 a couple of months now and are working through my to do list. I've noticed that when I indicate left or right I have the trailer icon on the dash lit up for a flash when the indicator first comes on. Maybe it lasts a bit longer on occasion. Yesterday it was just on by itself for a second or two.

I've plugged in a trailer board and all lights work as they should. Is this the trailer icon coming on as per design or is there something else going on? If it's a fault I am guessing it's a bad earth somewhere. If so where would that most likley be?

TIA.

I have had a problem with mine staying on, turned out to be the relay sticking on Thumbs Up Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #960069 31st Jul 2022 2:30am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1