United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 HT Oslo Blue
Td5spy..?
Has anyone used TD5spy..?

Any good..?

https://www.td5spy.co.za/
Post #959310 23rd Jul 2022 8:09pm
andy2111

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
That looks very interesting.. I've been thinking about getting an OBD2 Bluetooth system. Would be good to know if this is a solid and reliable solution for td5s
Post #959330 24th Jul 2022 12:09am
cocker

United Kingdom 
Also interested in this has anyone ever tried it ? or more information
Post #959337 24th Jul 2022 8:55am
andy2111

Post #959341 24th Jul 2022 9:30am
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Having a brief look at the site it looks like a standard ELM327 Bluetooth OBD2 reader and app that the vendor has created some display screens (dashboards) for. Noting that for standard Bluetooth OBD2 reader apps I.e Torque, those dashboard screens are very easy to create yourself with a few taps on your phone.

So I would compare and contrast this reader and app to a generic ELM327 reader and app and see what additional , if any, features you get. Other than the dashboard screens already being created for you.

One thing to check on is the quality of the OBD2 reader being used by TD5SPY. This is key because there are a lot of Chinese made ELM327 readers out there, not all are fully functional and you have to be careful on the quality of the electronics within them as you are connecting to expensive ECU’s in your vehicle.
Also is the Bluetooth connection protected by a password and does it power down when ignition is off.

For contrast purposes I would compare to the OBDlink MX+ which comes with a good app, support and forum, is a quality item, full ELM327 spec, has security and power management, works with other apps .i.e torque, and can be used on all new uk vehicles since jan 2001.https://www.obdlink.com/products/obdlink-mxp/

I have the LX version as the MX+ was not available when I purchased it, but would buy the MX+ now.
I keep in my 2.2 puma and has come in very handy for that and all other vehicles I’ve used it on in identifying issues etc..i.e fords, Vauxhalls, Audis etc. I also have a nanocom but that’s left at home for detailed defender specific diagnostics that any generic obd2 reader can’t do. Ie key programming.

Note you can do a search for good uk pricing but make sure it’s from an approved seller as there are fakes out there.

I’m not saying the TD5SPY product is bad, it may be very good, just check what you are getting beyond a standard quality generic reader and app before making your choice.
Post #959344 24th Jul 2022 10:18am
CDN38

Canada 2000 Defender 110 Td5 SW Bonatti Grey
So from my understanding, my Td5 110 from 2000 is not OBD2, and the MX is not compatible? it's a Landrover thing...

my renovation thread:
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic40792.html
Post #959390 24th Jul 2022 5:15pm
couplands

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 HT Oslo Blue
Ianh wrote:
Having a brief look at the site it looks like a standard ELM327 Bluetooth OBD2 reader and app that the vendor has created some display screens (dashboards) for. Noting that for standard Bluetooth OBD2 reader apps I.e Torque, those dashboard screens are very easy to create yourself with a few taps on your phone.

So I would compare and contrast this reader and app to a generic ELM327 reader and app and see what additional , if any, features you get. Other than the dashboard screens already being created for you.

One thing to check on is the quality of the OBD2 reader being used by TD5SPY. This is key because there are a lot of Chinese made ELM327 readers out there, not all are fully functional and you have to be careful on the quality of the electronics within them as you are connecting to expensive ECU’s in your vehicle.
Also is the Bluetooth connection protected by a password and does it power down when ignition is off.

For contrast purposes I would compare to the OBDlink MX+ which comes with a good app, support and forum, is a quality item, full ELM327 spec, has security and power management, works with other apps .i.e torque, and can be used on all new uk vehicles since jan 2001.https://www.obdlink.com/products/obdlink-mxp/

I have the LX version as the MX+ was not available when I purchased it, but would buy the MX+ now.
I keep in my 2.2 puma and has come in very handy for that and all other vehicles I’ve used it on in identifying issues etc..i.e fords, Vauxhalls, Audis etc. I also have a nanocom but that’s left at home for detailed defender specific diagnostics that any generic obd2 reader can’t do. Ie key programming.

Note you can do a search for good uk pricing but make sure it’s from an approved seller as there are fakes out there.

I’m not saying the TD5SPY product is bad, it may be very good, just check what you are getting beyond a standard quality generic reader and app before making your choice.

I guess the key point is that the TD5SPY is for TD5s, Puma has a regular OBD2 port so easier to get normal readers for.
Post #959396 24th Jul 2022 5:43pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
The first OBD2 ports were mandated In Europe In jan 2001, so I assumed all cars made after that date were standard OBD2. So perhaps they meant it was vehicles first manufactured after Jan 2001,therefore all post 2001 TD5’s are not covered by the standard OBD2 spec.

So if that is the case apologies for any confusion, and the TD5SPY solution looks good for a basic reader, however I would still check the quality of the Bluetooth plug, it’s security and power down capabilities.
Post #959425 25th Jul 2022 12:13am
andy2111

Just bumping this thread... Has anyone bought one and have any real world experience of it?

I like the fact it is td5 specific which I think works around the limitations of not having full OBD2 compatibility when using other readers TD5 hardtop to Puma inspired Poptop - my build thread

2002 110 TD5 Hardtop ¦ Full Puma interior ¦ Carpathian grey / Santorini black ¦ X-Vision-X poptop
Post #1003185 6th Aug 2023 1:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1