↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Series Land Rovers > Steering relay and chassis replacement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
jpboost

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Steering relay and chassis replacement
I've got a '72 Series3, and the front end of the chassis is a bit worse for wear.

It's patchable, but there are enough areas that it's going to be a much nicer job if I just fit a new 1/4 chassis. So I've bought one ready to fit.

My question is around the steering relay as it sits in the front 1/4 chassis that I'll be replacing.

I've read lots of reports that they can be a real pain to remove, although perhaps that's less of an issue if I can just cut the chassis from around it once I've cut it off the car?

Any thoughts/pointers?

I must admit, I'm quite tempted by the idea of just buying a new relay and then fitting that into the next chassis section, and I can then just throw all the old stuff at the scrap yard in one lump. I'm struggling for spare time at the moment, so would happily pay the £80 or so if it saved me hours of hammering the old relay to extract it from the rusty chassis.

But I've also heard reports that the (pattern) relays that are currently available aren't much good. Anyone got first hand experience?

The steering on mine has always been pretty vague, so it would be nice if I can improve things a bit while I'm fixing the chassis...

Thanks

Jon
Post #959084 21st Jul 2022 11:10am
Gasket

Hi - I've done this a few times.

You're right it can be a pain to remove.

The old approach was to strip the front of the bodywork and then use a jack underneath the relay. You would usually need to use straps around the base of the jack and up over the crossmember or it would just lift the car.

But when replacing, just cut it out - it only takes half an hour. Roughly cut a square around the relay in the top and bottom sections with an angle grinder. This will leave you with the relay sitting in a tube of old knackered chassis steel. At this stage you can use penetrant or heat, but still just as easy to very carefully slit the outside of the tube of scrap chassis and peel the tube off with a pair of molegrips.

Its really not hard or time consuming, just take your time.

Re: replacement, my advice would be - don't. Replacements are well known to be poor quality - in particular the relay shaft which have been known to have sheared (leaving you with no steering). Quality may have imprved in recent years but for the steering I'm about to rebuild for my IIA I've made a point of paying the money for NOS parts.

There's no need to replace it - the relay is entirely serviceable at a sensible cost. Either just clean it up and reuse or if you want to strip it and rebuild it its really simple, the only tricky bit is getting the tapered shims/collets back in but if you have a look over on the Series2club forum you'll see loads of pics of people doing with a couple of cable ties to hold them and the springs together on reassembly.

If you do need to replace any parts (like the shaft) then go to PA Blanchard - they still have MOD stock of parts rather than fitting pattern. Cheap pattern parts have their place, but not in a steering relay.
Post #959093 21st Jul 2022 12:44pm
jpboost

Thanks Gasket, That's really helpful.

I'll be struggling for time (and borrowing a workshop), so it's good to know it's straight forward to cut it out. I'll probably lop off the front chassis section complete and then can attack it with a grinder while on the bench.

I'm a little way off starting the job, but trying to get everything lined up so I can do it in one go.

Good to know that rebuild is a sensible option. I'll go do some research.

Cheers
Post #959094 21st Jul 2022 12:56pm
Gasket

No worries. If time and space are a concern then I might suggest just getting a used steering relay off ebay and check/ rebuild that one on the bench before you cut the SIII chassis.

That way you can take your time and you don't need to even think about getting the old relay out until you take the scrap chassis to the tip.

From memory I don't think there's a serial number or a date on the relay (might be wrong on the latter) so you wouldn't lose anything or any money buy buying one in advance and selling yours when you get round to it.
Post #959095 21st Jul 2022 1:04pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
As Gasket says it really isn't difficult or time-consuming to recover the relay if you're scrapping the chassis or replacing the No 2 crossmember. It can be a royal pain if you need to remove it and preserve the chassis and can in fact be impossible to do without chassis damage. I have known occasions when the tube into which the relay fits rips out of the chassis rather than the relay coming out of the tube.

Your best friend will be a 1mm cutting disk in an angle-grinder.

When refitting these things now I always slather the inside of the tube and the outside of the relay with a heavy grease in the hope that a future generation will thank me one day.
Post #959098 21st Jul 2022 1:38pm
jpboost

Brilliant.

My Series 3 is far from original in many areas. All above board and much of the modifications were a very long time ago as far as I can tell, but I've certainly got no concerns about the originality of putting another relay unit in.

yes, will certainly cover it in grease on the way back into the new chassis.

tbh I think some of the play in the steering is elsewhere anyway, but I'll save that for another day due to time pressures. At least if it's a rebuilt relay in a new chassis, I can rule out those parts moving, and help narrow down any other play.
Post #959105 21st Jul 2022 2:23pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
It is also worth remembering that sometimes - very occasionally - they pop out as good as gold with no trouble whatsoever.
Post #959124 21st Jul 2022 4:23pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1