↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Also back from Iceland
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
thebigblue

Denmark 
Also back from Iceland
After lurking around here for a while, and reading another Great Danes´ report from Iceland (username MOG).
I decided to post my dairy and pictures also, since they are already in my blog (in English) .

Arrow http://www.guttormsen.dk/blog/iceland2011.asp

I have been in Iceland in 2010 and in 2011 in my VW Touareg, the car are standard and we took some very hard tracks, so MOG you would love to revisit Iceland and take some of the smaller harder routes that you missed out. Very Happy

For 2012 I´m considering a trip to Morocco.

The reason that I stumbled by this nice community are that I´m considering trading the Touareg in for a MY 2007 Defender, but I´m having doubts due to the reliability of the Defender compared to my VW. Trying to go overland in Iceland directly south-east from Myvatn to Askja we eventually had to give in and head back running out of ride height on the lava fields with nearly no track left, but I´m sure a Defender would have been capable of doing the job, so I might want to go back and get the job done... Twisted Evil[/img]

Post #91809 28th Sep 2011 8:38pm
pcoote

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Great pictures of Iceland, but they would have looked even better with a Defender in there rather than the VW, which looked out of place to my sensibilities. Sorry to hear you've had problems with MY 2007 Defender, it was not the best vintage with the then new Puma engine integration. I have a MY 2011 Defender and it seems to be well sorted now, so I would recommend getting a new one but no they've gone and changed the engine again, so give them 2 years to get that sorted. Hope you get back to Iceland with the Defender.
Post #91819 28th Sep 2011 9:29pm
pcoote

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Hi there again.
I've just read your post again and realised that your thinking about getting a MY 2007 Defender. I would advise you go for a either an older TD5 or a newer MY rather than 2007/2008, Landrover had quite a few issues with integrating the Puma engine as I'm sure the guys on here will testify. You really should get one, you'll love it. I had TD5 for many years it never let me down.
Post #91823 28th Sep 2011 9:49pm
thebigblue

Denmark 
Hi pcoote.

Yes - I have been looking for a Defender for almost a year now, looked at a MY 1996 300TDI, but it was worn out a needed everything fixed, then a MY2001 TD5, but another chap bought it just as I were looking at it.
Now I have found a MY2007 PUMA with 84.000 k. on the clock, it´s converted into a camper, and it looks nice, and would get me off the roof tent solution, then engine sound harsh and has a loud noise level, actually the TDI300 sounded better spite LR calming that the PUMA are 30 % less noisy.

I know a Defender not as a limo, but in Denmark you pay for 3 cars and get one, so I will need to commute in the Defender for work in winter and on rainy days when the bike are left at home. Another alternative are to keep the VW and find a cheap TD5. There are a few Defender 110 PUMAs in Denmark, might be only a handful, so i will have to look in Germany, or look at a LHD in GB, as i find a least one dealer stocking LHD Defenders.

I love the soul of the Defender, so I´ll keep looking for a while, though the Touareg will cope with Maorocco just fine I think.

Last edited by thebigblue on 29th Sep 2011 9:18am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #91852 29th Sep 2011 7:39am
GREENI

United Kingdom 
thebigblue wrote:

I love the soul of the Defender

A great statement Thumbs Up

Thanks for the link of your photo's, great inspiration Cool
Post #91862 29th Sep 2011 8:38am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1