↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > P400e Area (L663) > Think it's charging, but isn't - PodPoint, BP Pulse ...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Harty

United Kingdom 
Think it's charging, but isn't - PodPoint, BP Pulse ...
Hi all,

I have a defender phev. Works fine charging at home with wall charger - plug in, lock car, brilliant.

Whenever go out and find a charger, we download app, create account, load money onto account, following instruction on charger and from downloaded app, plug car in with Defender cable, press charge on app. Defender plug socket flashes green, car locks itself, but then after 3-4 mins, the light turns white and car doesn't charge.

This has happened 5 or 6 times. It has charged once with BP Pulse in Canary Wharf, but hasn't worked numerous other times we've tried with BP Pulse or Pod Point.

Any ideas, as getting incredibly frustrating now.

Thanks,

Harty
Post #958027 12th Jul 2022 3:35pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
This is why after testing a Velar PHEV I have arranged with the local dealer to test drive the MHEV version tomorrow so the wife can decide what she wants to do before her current agreement finishes next year.

I have zero patients with the thought of either waiting for a charger to be free or just not working.

And I thought the PHEV Velar in petrol mode was savagely underpowered with crap fuel economy and felt bloated because of the weight of a dead battery pack.

I feel sorry for you but again it typical of the leadership of this country, they want change but don’t think that the resources have to be in place first.
Post #958043 12th Jul 2022 5:37pm
pjm-84

United Kingdom 
Just not worth doing on a hybrid system to be honest. The BMW approach reinforces this by reducing the charge rate to 16amp (so 1hr charge = 3.68kw).

If the P400e is circa 1.7miles a kW and you're paying 35p then it works out about 43mpg in petrol equivalent.

Hence its not worth doing.
Post #958044 12th Jul 2022 5:51pm
Harty

United Kingdom 
I have solar panels, so is often free charging for me. Also, it works 100% when charging at home - I must be doing something stupid when out.
Post #958050 12th Jul 2022 6:32pm
peanutbob

United Kingdom 
Re: Think it's charging, but isn't - PodPoint, BP Pulse ...
Harty wrote:
Hi all,

I have a defender phev. Works fine charging at home with wall charger - plug in, lock car, brilliant.

Whenever go out and find a charger, we download app, create account, load money onto account, following instruction on charger and from downloaded app, plug car in with Defender cable, press charge on app. Defender plug socket flashes green, car locks itself, but then after 3-4 mins, the light turns white and car doesn't charge.

This has happened 5 or 6 times. It has charged once with BP Pulse in Canary Wharf, but hasn't worked numerous other times we've tried with BP Pulse or Pod Point.

Any ideas, as getting incredibly frustrating now.

Sorry to butt in….if the car locks itself on charging, does that mean all windows inc doors are fully immobilised? I was thinking about what happens if you have dogs in the car and have to wait for a charge to complete? I worry about leaving them in the car on a hot day with the windows open even when grabbing a sandwich!

Thanks,

Harty
Post #958051 12th Jul 2022 6:50pm
Harty

United Kingdom 
If I leave a window open, car locks automatically, then alarm will go off after a couple of mins.
Post #958054 12th Jul 2022 6:53pm
peanutbob

United Kingdom 
Thanks! That’s a concern, but the next question ref plug in hybrids and fully electric vehicles, is can the climate control run whilst the car is charging? I assume manufacturers have already catered for this situation, but this would elongate the charging time quite substantially.
I understand the security implications of not having the vehicle fully locked during charging, but unless climate control is enabled during the charging period, it means wandering around service stations with pets in tow!
Post #958067 12th Jul 2022 7:41pm
pjm-84

United Kingdom 
Harty wrote:
I have solar panels, so is often free charging for me. Also, it works 100% when charging at home - I must be doing something stupid when out.

Snap, but you're missing my point.

I charge the BMW overnight at 20p a kW and at the weekend during the day on the PVs, if sunny, at a slower rate.

Away from home there is little point putting the vehicle on charge, unless its free, or a longer duration. However that said I still probably wouldn't put it on charging point as it take up a charging facility for an EV car that ,to be frank, has less flexibilty without an engine. ( I note the P400e has the ability to rapid charge)

Note when I unlock the BMW the charging stops.
Post #958076 12th Jul 2022 8:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1