Home > Puma (Tdci) > Puma MT82 stuck in first gear
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
mattsccm

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Epsom Green
Puma MT82 stuck in first gear

Click image to enlarge

Hi. I found this great place whilst trying to find the solution to a problem with my 57 plate Puma 90. It is stuck in 1st gear. My fault, I leant against the lever and in effect tried to knock it from 1st to neutral. Cut a long story short I found this thread https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17158.html
Looks worth a try but I can't easily get that far as my LR experience is no more modern that my 300tdi vehicles .
I am trying to lift the top cover off but am a touch worried that I might screw things up. I have already, unintentionaly lifted the gear lever out and because, I guess, it was jamned in 1st it seems reluctant to go back. I bet it will later though.
In my pic I have the red bolts loose. The black one on the right is being a sod. Tight and limited spanner space. When I do get it off can I just lift the cover or will the hi/lo lever and linkage get in the way? Also I am not going to get something spring off and never go back am I?
Once I get these bolts off what happens next? Is it a case of following the other thread to at least see whats the problem?
Many thanks all. Any help much appreciated.
Matt
Post #957929 11th Jul 2022 7:05pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
You're doing fine so far. You need to get the last bolt out, then lift the lever pedestal base thingy out of the way. Nothing will spring out. The instructions you need to follow are these from the linked thread:

ashtrans wrote:
This can be fixed in the car,

At the rear left corner of the gearbox you will see 2 detent plugs, one vertical and one horizontal,

Using a small chisel, tap out the vertical one, it has a mushroom head to hit on and is an interference fit,

Once out, poke a small screwdriver into the hole and lever the selector rail to the front of the car about 5mm,

Have a front wheel up and keep rocking it so you know when you are back in neutral,

Then either put the detent back in or better still replace it with the later one which has a stronger spring, will post the part number tomorrow,

Dave

The high/low linkage can stay connected, since it is possible to move the assembly out of the way without disconnecting it (disconnecting it is fiddly on the MT82). The photos in jst's post on the last page of the linked thread are useful, they make it clear which detent you need to remove.

jst wrote:
Just an update, apparently the gbox can get stuck in 1st gear whilst the lever itself looks to be in neutral.

It happens when stopping abruptly in neutral I am told.

There is a stronger replacement detent spring to avoid this. With advice from Ashcroft faq website page it's easily addressed and fixed.

Mine took around 90mins to sort, most if which was spent removing/replacing trim.

The old detent was fitted flush and looked to have been parallel punched in. It came out very easily.

Certainly a job most could confidently tackle.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

This thread https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic60607.html is well illustrated and may help as well. Alternatively typing "detent" into the search page and searching for thread titles will produce about two pages of results of varying usefulness.
Post #957937 11th Jul 2022 7:57pm
mattsccm

Cheers. I'll have a go in the morning. Spanners now away and I'm off to tackle the Royal Enfield instead.
Post #957939 11th Jul 2022 8:23pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
That is a really useful guide, as usual one of the most time consuming things is getting to it to remove other stuff to get there on a Puma.
Nothing new there. Laughing Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #957963 11th Jul 2022 10:44pm
mattsccm

Too true. How I miss my previous 110. D plate. Started as a 2.6 petrol CSW. I stuck a 2.8 Isuzu in it. Brilliant. Carried everything from firewood to dead boar. People to bikes. Flooring was a thick layer of underseal and some rubber mats and it was a nicer ride as well.
Off to have another go .
Post #957978 12th Jul 2022 7:03am
mattsccm

Thanks for the link.
Now puzzling on where the 4th bolt is as in that post. I have 3 out and the alloy cover moves a touch.
Do I really need to disconnect the hi/lo difflock lever? Trying to keep things simple as everything that comes off is potential to be a problem getting back on.

Cheers.
Post #957982 12th Jul 2022 7:48am
blackwolf

My recollection is that you don't need to disconnect the H/L lever, but my recollection may be wrong. I thought you could shift the assembly to the offside enough with it still connected.

In my defence it is several years since I last did this on the car.
Post #958021 12th Jul 2022 3:01pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
^^^^ This sounds correct to me when I had it off a few years ago.
Though I took it all off as it was an ideal time to lube the linkages and also fit the spacers to that part.
Rounded off with fitting a Shift R to finish off the job in one go.

There is torque specifications for the fixings for when refitting and tightening in the Worskshop Manual.
Pays to lube the gear shifter assembly and ball joint and hi low mech etc in the process also.

On mine I found that the assembly had cracked and broken, so as I had to replace it I went for the Shift R anyway and not Genuine. It’s the Nylon that’s goes on the shifter assembly.

There are other threads on here regards the spacers and part number.

It’s possible that this maybe an issue causing you to find it difficult to get in and out of gear, it’ll definitely cause excess movement in the gearstick. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #958028 12th Jul 2022 3:42pm
Steve A

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Cairns Blue
Had to do this myself couple of months ago and if I remember rightly the 4th bolt is under the hi lo shifter. Didn’t have to disconnect it though.
Post #958035 12th Jul 2022 4:10pm
mattsccm

Still stuck. Can't find any 4th bolt. The top cover moves a bit, rather too much for it to be bolted down but not enough to move. I did take the 4 bolts that hold the diff lock lever in place out but that just allows it to lift enough to disengae from the lock rod but not lift out. Not solved anything.
Don't want to lever away at the cover, that is the bit held down by the 2 red and one black bolts in my pic, in case I wreck something. Is there definitely a 4th bolt or hwo do I move things? Help!
FOUND the bolt. Have to disconect the hi/lo connection and the lever lifts out.There it is
Post #958045 12th Jul 2022 5:56pm
mattsccm

Getting there thanks to you lot. Thumbs Up Found the missing bolt.Took the linkage to the hi/lo off.Lever off. Casing off. Bit of a pain taping the detent out but it came. One flick inside and the front wheel spins. Levers back on and all moves Razz
Time to watch the Tour de France and then I'll give it a run.
Fingers crossed everyone!
Post #958056 12th Jul 2022 7:08pm
blackwolf

Well done! Thumbs Up
Post #958068 12th Jul 2022 7:43pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
love this forum DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #958071 12th Jul 2022 7:57pm
mattsccm

Well it works. Very Happy Just a short spin up the road so that I could roll home if it packed up. Seems OK.

Only thing to look at is the diff lock linkage which may well have been stiff anyway. Had to disconnect the ball joint to lift the lever out. Thats back on but the whole thing won't go into low ratio. haven't looked yet. Any tips with that? My old 110 was used off road much more and spent much of its life as a tractor so more hi/lo swapping.

Many thanks people, much appreciated. Thumbs Up
Post #958079 12th Jul 2022 8:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1