↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Powered Sub Wires - Where to route from Arm Rest to Dash?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
BryGuy

Canada 2001 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
Powered Sub Wires - Where to route from Arm Rest to Dash?
I have a 2001 TD5 LHD. I'm installing a centre arm rest that has a powered sub below it. I should mention that my Defender also has AC which seems to block all access to the dash from below.

I've read a ton of posts (on this forum and others) where people have run the wires underneath the floor, near the bell housing and up the firewall to be passed in via one of the existing firewall openings.

Can someone provide a description, picture or link to another post that provides more details about this?

I've taken a look at several spots but they all jam packed with wires already. I did notice one oval looking grommet that is located on firewall to the left side of the engine about 1/2 of the way up that isn't being used for anything, but I have no idea where it goes, or if it even can be used.

I've attached a picture of a new bulkhead with the grommet opening circled.

Let me know if you need additional information or pics.

Last edited by BryGuy on 29th Jun 2022 5:14pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #956843 29th Jun 2022 5:01pm
Penfold_6290

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
Hiya, have you considered passing the wires down the back of the dash, behind the fuse box, then under the transmission tunnel then into the cubby box? Failing that you could go under the carpet or rubber sound deadening. You can quite easily pass a bundle of wires down into the fuse box from the back of the radio.

On a Td5 with AC it is possible to lift the fibreglass transmission tunnel to gain access, you wouldn't need to remove completely. You could then come back into the cabin through the metal plate that is fitted beneath the cubby box using a suitable grommet. As long as your wiring was suitably protected in some conduit and secured to the main looms there's no risk of things getting tangled up. I wouldn't personally go to the trouble of going through the firewall into the engine bay.
Post #956844 29th Jun 2022 5:13pm
BryGuy

Canada 2001 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
Thanks Penfold. That's exactly what I needed to hear. Hopefully I'll have some wires run in the next few weeks and I'll report back.
Post #956952 1st Jul 2022 12:32am
Penfold_6290

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
No problem, good luck. I’m assuming all you need to run from the back of the radio would be preout/speaker output and the blue ‘power up’ wire? You could take a fused power supply direct form the battery and could earth to the transmission or chassis earth as they are right there next to the plate under the cubby box. The fewer cables you have to run from the radio the easier your install will be.
Post #956953 1st Jul 2022 12:39am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1