Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
pinx

Switzerland 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Puma gearbox extension case plug issue

Click image to enlarge

Hi guys!

I did something stupid and still can't figure out what to do with it..
Last year, while travelling long distances I noticed an oily spot under the car. After quick inspection, I identified the source of the leak - it was the gearbox extension case plug (?) - see pictures. Having zero experience, I tried to tighten it, but I went too far.. I heard a little "click" and I knew I screwed things up. The thread is definitely damaged, and this blood thing still leaks.

Now, the problem is: I don't know how to fix it, I cannot find the plug (?) part number, I even cannot find a picture of this thing! I also don't know its purpose. Is there any way to fix this? Do I have to buy the extension case?.. If I could buy this plug, I would be able to check if I damaged the thread on the plug or in the casing..

I'm lost, so I call all Defender Wizards for help! Very Happy

My truck is 2007 Puma Defender with 2.4 l engine.

Thank you guys in advance!
Jacek

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #956203 22nd Jun 2022 12:57pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Some info here which may help: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83407.html?highlight=pivot  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #956204 22nd Jun 2022 1:07pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
The thing you've messed with is one of the two pivots for the reverse gear selector fork, and sadly what you have done is not good. It is possible that even removing it from the casing may require the box to be stripped in order to get the fork back in the right place to allow the pivot to be refitted (although you may be lucky provided that the n/s pivot isn't disturbed and no attempt to select revers gear is made with the o/s pivot removed.

As for a repair, if you have stripped a thread it is overwhelmingly likely to be the thread in the gearbox casing rather than the thread on the pivot, since the former is an aluminium alloy and the latter steel. In this case it may be possible to machine the casing and fit a threaded insert such as a Timesert or Helicoil, but this would almost certainly require a gearbox strip-down. It may not even be possible if there is insufficient clearance round the hole, or if the thread size or pivot pin dimensions prevent it.

I think that if I was in your shoes I would remove the pivot pin to find out what damage I had actually done, whilst at the same time be preparing myself to buy a new gearbox.

Incidentally I cannot find any part numbers for the MT82 selector fork pivot bolts, which is odd. If you are exceptionally lucky and it is just the pivot that is damaged, it would be worth talking to a Ford dealer. It is evident that some pivot are, however I cannot check if they are the right ones for the MT82. I would expect all applications of the MT82 to use the same pivots, however. Here is an example of a pivot for something I did find, but may not be the right one:

https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts/ford-...443-a.html
Post #956205 22nd Jun 2022 1:21pm
UtilityTruck

United Kingdom 
If it’s all working as expected, bar the oil leak- could you not glue that thing in there with Jb weld.. if the alternative is buying a new box, it’s got to be worth a try? Appreciate if you’ve stripped out the box you may not want to put it back in to find out it doesn’t work… not sure if the pic above is yours or a stock pic just to show the location. 2014 Keswick Utility 2.2
Post #956218 22nd Jun 2022 2:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1