↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Diagnostic options
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
glpinxit

United Kingdom 
Diagnostic options
My, owned from new 35K miles 2014, Puma recently threw me the orange MIL light at the start of a 300 mile round trip. So we used the little car instead. I'm going to see the garage this afternoon as I haven't got round to getting a fault-reader yet (doh) so I want to get one now and I'm looking for advice/experience of the options.

I previously had a Nanocom for my TD5 and found it quirky but it did things that I found useful like being able to run the ABS pump (which age made a little sluggish unless it was exercised occasionally). But it sounds as though the latest Nanocom isn't the best choice for the 2.2 TDCi engine.

At the other end of the spectrum I could get an ELM327/OBDII dongle and use it with an app on my iPhone. This would enable me to see future error codes and make a judgement about whether to drive or not if I get the MIL again when I'm driving or about to go somewhere. The Car Scanner app seems OK for this but I'd like to make sure that I get a good ELM 327 dongle.

So I'm looking for recommendations for the OBD dongle or other tools. (I've looked at things like the Terrafirma tool but they don't seem to offer much more than the app.) Note that we don't use PCs so it will need to be iOS compatible or freestanding. Cheers, Guy.
Post #956704 28th Jun 2022 8:04am
steveww

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Bronze Green
I use a cheap ELM bluetooth dongle thingy with "Car Scanner" iOS app.
It reads all the OBD data, codes and clears codes.
Post #956716 28th Jun 2022 10:40am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1