Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Central Locking/Alarm issues
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
balmybaldwin

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Buckingham Blue
Central Locking/Alarm issues
Hello,

Been making myself popular with neighbours last few days with my alarm going off randomly.

It went off last night, I assumed spider etc on the sensor, so locked it with key and went back to bed. Went to check it this morning and the door was unlocked so put this down to lack of sleep.

Re-locked it, checked it, went and made breakfast. halfway through alarm goes off again, this time can't find keys so I dont disarm it but it stops after a minute or so. Went out to check it after breakfast do find the door unlocked (and alarm went off when opened)

So a bit confused as to what was happening. Took dog for a walk, 10 mins after parking hear the familiar wail of my landy so went back to check it to find a nice Landy owner standing guard. Anyway between us have worked out what seems to be the issue...

If I lock the car by key (or by fob) as it's c/l all the locks lock, but shortly afterwards the drivers door unlocks itself. This seems to be random in that sometimes it's immediate, sometimes up to 2 hours after I have locked it.

ANyone had this issue before? I suspect it's the drivers side CL solenoid? Interestingly after a load of fidlling locking and unlocking, it now isn't triggering the c/l when I lock it by key (but they all go when locked with a fob)

Going to soak it in WD40 and see if tht cures it, but suspect I should look at new solenoids as it's not going to get much better.

My only other thought is a wiring issue somewhere
Post #956906 30th Jun 2022 3:04pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
It could be the solenoid but quite often it's just resistance in the mechanism. The grease on the various pivots hardens with age making them stiffer to move and this is sometimes just enough to make the CL unlock again. Try taking the door card off, cleaning up the mechanism and re-lubricating with something like white grease. Failing that, a good does of penetrating oil might be enough to do the job. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #956910 30th Jun 2022 4:20pm
balmybaldwin

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Buckingham Blue
Had the card off this afternoon. The mechanism seems nice and free. I'm getting the same behaviour when I push the plastic knobs down or directly push the solenoid... it locks the C/L then unlocks immediately

Intermittently the CL does not work when locking with the key, but it still works via the fob which seems odd. it's like sometimes the solenoid sends a signal and sometimes not (yet always has power to lock via fob).

The solenoid does occasionally lock or unlock slowly and make a struggling sound.

It seems that all the messing around has a) made it permanent that the key doesn't operate the c/l and b) made it so when I lock with the fob it doesn't unlock randomly and set the alarm off.

So that'll do until the weekend when I can have a better look.
Post #956912 30th Jun 2022 4:57pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
As LRA mentioned - try that. I did exactly that a week ago (lithium grease is perfect if you got it).
You’ll be surprised what a difference it makes to the central locking you can tell it’s giving the solenoids an easier life.

The reason why it can’t be done often is because you can’t get at it due to door cards etc, but it’s not a job you have to do often at all mine was original so once in a blue moon job but accessible door hinges and locks are done regularly..

Whilst there check the visible wiring for any obvious damage or issues with that, failing that replacement maybe worth looking into.

I would say it’s likely to be the drivers door that’s culprit.

There’s a few places spray grease is ideal but others where applied by hand is better. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #956937 30th Jun 2022 10:04pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Re: Central Locking/Alarm issues
balmybaldwin wrote:
Hello,

Been making myself popular with neighbours last few days with my alarm going off randomly.

It went off last night, I assumed spider etc on the sensor, so locked it with key and went back to bed. Went to check it this morning and the door was unlocked so put this down to lack of sleep.

Re-locked it, checked it, went and made breakfast. halfway through alarm goes off again, this time can't find keys so I dont disarm it but it stops after a minute or so. Went out to check it after breakfast do find the door unlocked (and alarm went off when opened)

So a bit confused as to what was happening. Took dog for a walk, 10 mins after parking hear the familiar wail of my landy so went back to check it to find a nice Landy owner standing guard. Anyway between us have worked out what seems to be the issue...

If I lock the car by key (or by fob) as it's c/l all the locks lock, but shortly afterwards the drivers door unlocks itself. This seems to be random in that sometimes it's immediate, sometimes up to 2 hours after I have locked it.

ANyone had this issue before? I suspect it's the drivers side CL solenoid? Interestingly after a load of fidlling locking and unlocking, it now isn't triggering the c/l when I lock it by key (but they all go when locked with a fob)

Going to soak it in WD40 and see if tht cures it, but suspect I should look at new solenoids as it's not going to get much better.

My only other thought is a wiring issue somewhere

I’ve had exactly this and fitted a new central locking actuator in the drivers door. Took so diagnostics but this cured it for ever.
Post #956947 30th Jun 2022 10:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1