Home > Td5 > TD5 fuel issues.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
GOwen87

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Baltic Blue
TD5 fuel issues.
Hey guys.

I’ve got a 99 TD5 110. About 5/6 months ago the fuel gauge stopped working. Was on the list of things to do but not overly worried. A few weeks ago the 110 went into an almost limp mode and cut out. I assumed it was fuel issue so topped her up, bled the system (5 pumps on throttle, in hindsight there was no noise from the pump at all) and she started up. She then run fine, I then quickly topped up the fuel to full but only took around 50-60 litres to fill up (no where near a full tank)

She’s been running fine but did start to develop a surge under pressure of towing, usually up steep hills. I checked the MAF and MAP sensors, nothing of real note, changed the fuel filter and purged. Drover her around the block, seemed fine and then cut out again. Managed to get her home checked fuel filter and it’s practically empty. Tired the purge again, no joy, still no fuel.

Did have some oil in the red ECU plug but cleared that all out still nothing on the fuel. Brought a MuCar CDE900 OBD scanner which says it does TD5 defenders but it won’t pick it up.

I have checked what I believe to be the fused and relay for the fuel pump (yellow relay under driver seat), they appear to be working and receiving power. So my question before I go and pay £300 for a fuel pump, take off the fuel tank and replace it, is there anything obvious I need to/can check before I carry on with fuel pump.

Ps reason I mention fuel gauge not working above is I know it’s the same unit so not sure if this could be a sign of it failing.
Post #995919 11th Jun 2023 6:03pm
NickMc

Northern Ireland 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
I’d break the system down into sections, check the power etc at the black connector on the engine bay side next to the coolant bottle that feeds the pump and sender (common not to be put back on its holder)should have a thick purple in it iirc (wiring diagrams in work sorry) you can also feed 12V here and see if the pump runs to check - if you have power etc at the relay. Out of interest are you getting the management light on when purging?

other than that you’ll need a fuel pressure gauge to check.
Post #995925 11th Jun 2023 7:19pm
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
So does the pump work or not. Should be pretty easy to hear. Since you said you removed the fuel filter and then primed, did you hear the air work through the system, also pretty easy to hear.
Post #995926 11th Jun 2023 7:56pm
Will.I.AM

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Kaikoura Stone
I have had simular issues but it could be the system letting in air? - once you know if you have full pressure at the engine then you can start to isolate the issues.

If you dont have full pressure it could either be the pump gone kaput something as simple as the gauze in the filter head unit could be bunged up.

If you have full pressure then the pump in theory is fine although i have seen it where the mesh intank housing around the fuel pump gets bunged up so you always need the tank full for it to be able to suck in fuel properly. It could be the fuel regulator needs replaceing or a new gasket. If you have oil in the loom connector then again this could be the cause of it happening intermittently.

Im not a pro but these are issues i have had so thought to share them.

The below is something that was specific to my defender but another point worthy of note.

I did have an issue which Gareth from Empire sorted for me where my new VDO pump was unbelieveably noisey, turns out the guy that built my truck up when i purchased it had got nearly every fuel connection wrong so the engine was recieving fuel to the engine throguh the back of the cooler and into the back of the regulator as well as going throguh the filter unit the wrong way Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Defender 130 HCPU TD5
Post #995958 12th Jun 2023 7:52am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
andy2111

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
I'd also check that the relay you think is for the fuel pump, really is for the fuel pump. With vehicles this age it's possible that someone working on it in the past has not put them back in the right order.

I had no end of issues with the fuel pump intermittently cutting out whilst driving. I thought the relay was fine and so had a new fuel pump, got the ECU tested etc etcwith no improvement at all.... and it turned out that the relay was in the wrong position and was indeed the cause of the fault.

Stripped back some clean wires and fitted a new relay holder and I have not had a problem since... TD5 hardtop to Puma inspired Poptop - my build thread

2002 110 TD5 Hardtop ¦ Full Puma interior ¦ Carpathian grey / Santorini black ¦ X-Vision-X poptop
Post #995965 12th Jun 2023 8:33am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1