↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Car remote not working
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Buz1500

United Kingdom 
Car remote not working
We've got an interesting fault with my wife's car and i'm hoping that someone on this forum may be of assistance. The car concerned is a 2017 Ford Fiesta.

A couple of months ago both remotes suddenly failed totally, we were unable to unlock the car.
We were about to go away for a weeks holiday in my car so left hers on the drive with a view to fix it when returned home. When we returned home the remotes worked first time and have continued to work faultlessly until this morning when the same problem has reoccured.
Post #953671 26th May 2022 11:36am
Buz1500

United Kingdom 
Fixed....

Found a site that stated the RF signal could be being blocked by your home wifi.

Switched my wifi off and the remotes worked without issue ! Switched it on again and the remotes still worked...Strange, but at least we have a fix now.
Post #953672 26th May 2022 11:48am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Not long after I bought my Disco2 in 2002 the remotes suddenly stopped working when the vehicle was parked on my drive. If I pushed the vehicle a few feet into the road, or parked in the road, the remotes worked.

After much investigation (including borrowing some expensive test gear from work) I determined that localised interference was the cause. I then realised that the effect had started at about the same time as the Airwave TETRA network had been switched on for the first time in the area. I contacted the operator who assured me that it was wholly impossible that one of its new cells could be the cause, but within hours the problem stopped and has never recurred.

When remote plips for cars first became commonplace this was a widespread problem, with people having to push vehicles a few yards to get the plip to work. Now the technology has matured it is less of an issue. Interestingly and perhaps counter-intuitively, having too much sensitivity on the receiver is a major cause of the problem - there is a reason why the Defender remote is designed to have a short range.
Post #953678 26th May 2022 12:18pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1