↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > 2.2 low oil pressure light - time to go off after starting
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
2.2 low oil pressure light - time to go off after starting
The low oil pressure light on my 2.2 takes a couple of seconds to switch off after starting.. I would estimate between 3 to 4 seconds. Is that normal? Or should investigate?
My oil pump was replaced through the recall. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #953223 22nd May 2022 7:31pm
UtilityTruck

United Kingdom 
I have no idea what is normal(generally, not just defenders Whistle ) but in my 2.2 the oil light takes one or two seconds to turn off after starting? 2014 Keswick Utility 2.2
Post #953238 22nd May 2022 9:25pm
Dinnu

Yeah, me too I do not know what is normal. Maybe it is closer to 3s than 4s. But I find that a bit long.
I do not noticing this before... and I do not know if something happened during recent oil change. My oil filter is the paper element, and that has no orientation (top vs bottom), at least as far as I know.

The 2.2 pump is a vane type, and I read that it should be able to build up pressure even at low rpms. Maybe this pump is a consumable? Mine has about 60k miles.

Anyone knows if there is a non return valve somewhere to prevent all the oil in the galleries draining back into the sump? 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
Post #953262 23rd May 2022 6:32am
Dinnu

DeeEss, forum member here was very kind to send me a video starting his 2.2, 3 day start, 13dC outside temperature, 5W-40 oil. I analyzed his video, and it takes just about 1.4 seconds between the tachometer needle going up, and the low oil pressure warning turning off.
The oil pressure on his Defender is reached before the alternator starts charging Thumbs Up

I am wondering if the temperature here is the problem... it is 26dC.. and expecting to go higher. I still use 5W-30 oil, Millers XF Longlife C1. Oil change at most 500 miles ago, so I expect the viscosity is still there. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
Post #953296 23rd May 2022 10:50am
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Has this 3 -4 seconds delay always been the case, or has it just started happening?

Did you use a genuine oil filter on last change, if not is the new filter a different make from the one removed ? As it could be due to the filter.

In general the oil pressure sensor is just a diaphragm and a spring.When pressure builds the diaphragm overcomes the spring and an electrical condition is sent to the ECU which in turn extinguishes the dash light. If the diaphragm or spring is faulty then this can delay this process or cause false indications.
So it could be a faulty sensor.

A 5w30 oil is actually a 5 weight oil with additives which make the oil flow like a 30 weight oil when it reaches the right operating temperature . So if the oil temperature is hotter due to external temperature of 26dC I would have thought it would be a heavier weight than a colder engine and therefore the oil pressure would be higher at start and the oil light would go out quicker, not slower.

Also have you tried waiting a few seconds longer before turning the key the last stage to crank the engine and see if that extinguishes the oil light quicker ?
Post #953341 23rd May 2022 5:15pm
Dinnu

Frankly speaking, I cannot recall if it was always like that.. but I doubt. It is also not my daily, so maybe comparing more to a Golf (which low oil pressure light turns off before I even crank it Confused ) I had been travelling and left the Defender garaged for about 7 weeks, and that was kind the first time I really noticed it. I thought the oil had fully drained from the system... but even in less than 12hrs parked up, it still does it.

Have not used genuine filter, I think I have used Mann filter.. could it be it? Easy to change to test Thumbs Up

Sensor.. could be. I would actually prefer a sensor to switch off later at a higher pressure, than one that only comes on when there is really no pressure. I am afraid that most sensors switch off at too low of a pressure.

I never fully understood the multigrade oil.. but I thought that a 5W30 would behave like a 30W oil at high temperature. I thought that a 5W30 oil at 100dC could still be less viscous than at -20dC.

Not sure what you mean by "Also have you tried waiting a few seconds longer before turning the key the last stage to crank the engine and see if that extinguishes the oil light quicker ?" Usually I wait for the heater plugs to switch off, and then crank. At the moment though the weather is warm enough that the heater plugs do not come on at all, even after a couple of days of no use - so fur sure engine is at room temperature. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
Post #953353 23rd May 2022 7:14pm
Big Harold

Australia 2015 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Alpine White
I have an external oil pressure gauge fitted to a sandwich plate on the filter and the gauge will always read oil pressure before the light goes out.
Mark
Post #953379 23rd May 2022 8:59pm
jpboost

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
It's an interesting question.

I've always felt the light was a little bit slow to go out on my 2.2. but it's always been like that. I think I also am comparing to other more modern cars that I drive.
I'll try to remember to video it and time it.

It would be good to get a wider understanding of others experiences here. Can any other puma owners join in with some info?

Totally agree that is it better to have a light with a reasonably high threshold to turn off, as it gives you a chance to react to something. Back in my youth when I used to drive old minis, their standard oil pressure light only comes on at less than 5psi (or something ridiculously low like that). In which case it was simply a 'game over' light that tells you it is too late and that your engine is completely ruined.
Post #953441 24th May 2022 9:53am
Lodelaner

United Kingdom 1988 Defender 90 V8 Petrol ST Shire Blue
Ianh wrote:
...if the oil temperature is hotter due to external temperature of 26dC I would have thought it would be a heavier weight than a colder engine and therefore the oil pressure would be higher at start and the oil light would go out quicker, not slower.

Quite the opposite in practice, a thicker oil will drag and oil pressure will take longer to build up. JB

@Lodelaner Instagram

Youtube greenlaning and other LR related content
Post #953481 24th May 2022 2:02pm
Dinnu

Big Harold wrote:
I have an external oil pressure gauge fitted to a sandwich plate on the filter and the gauge will always read oil pressure before the light goes out.
Mark

Unfortunately mine is early type, same as the 2.4 with the element and plastic bowl. But I guess it is also possible to T off an analogue sensor at the switch location, if there is space.. as I believe it is quite tight there.

jpboost wrote:
Totally agree that is it better to have a light with a reasonably high threshold to turn off, as it gives you a chance to react to something. Back in my youth when I used to drive old minis, their standard oil pressure light only comes on at less than 5psi (or something ridiculously low like that). In which case it was simply a 'game over' light that tells you it is too late and that your engine is completely ruined.

Exactly, one or two years ago was checking a Toyota as the low oil warning light was coming on during driving. As I checked the pressure switch, it was also switching at very low pressure, also in the 5psi region. I thought that should not be right, so ordered a new one.. and the new one was also switching at that low pressure Sad
Recently a guy very knowledgeable on Landrovers said that the 200tdi used to suffer from camshaft bearings - reason being the 200tdi starts so quickly that there is no time to build proper oil pressure. I wonder how the 2.2 head will fair with the camshaft running directly on aluminium and double the number of valves if it also takes so long to build oil pressure Big Cry [/quote] 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
Post #953532 25th May 2022 6:30am
Dinnu

So I noticed that there is some inconsistency between the time my engine starts and when the low oil pressure light turns off.
Maybe I was over calculating, but I have timed 2.2s for the oil pressure to go off. That is almost twice as long (not as bad as my 3-4s estimate though). 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
Post #953945 28th May 2022 9:53pm
itsdashy

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 PU Orkney Grey
Mine is a 2012 with about 60k miles. I changed the pump to the new LR058095 and it made no difference to when the light went out. About 2 seconds in my case.
Post #954382 2nd Jun 2022 9:03am
Vitesse

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
2015 90. I use millers c1 oil. I get between 1 and 4 seconds for the oil light to go out. Random and never goes longer than 4 secs. 2015 90 XS Santorini Black
Post #954384 2nd Jun 2022 9:18am
jpboost

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Since this thread started, I've been keeping an eye on what mine does.

It's pretty consistent at around 3 seconds, but occasionally it's about half that. I've not been able to work out any pattern to when it's quicker, but it probably does it about 1 in 20 starts.

I also take some comfort from the other posts here that the 3-4 second range is common amongst other owners.
Post #954394 2nd Jun 2022 10:15am
Dinnu

Thanks all Thumbs Up

As Vitesse said, mine is a bit random too. I had situations where I shut down the engine and start it again only a couple of minutes later which took longer for the light to go off than say after starting the engine after a couple of hours that it was switched off...

Very unpredictable. I also use Millers C1.

4seconds seem to be eternally long when you know that bearings are not being protected by a proper film of oil. I will try a different oil weight on next oil change. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
Post #954395 2nd Jun 2022 10:18am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>