↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres (L663) > L663 2023/24 OEM Off-Road Tyre option?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Mr Fox

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
L663 2023/24 OEM Off-Road Tyre option?
The off-road tyre option for the L663 is circa £255 but my dealer isn't certain of what tyres JLR are currently providing from the factory if you tick this box.

Has anyone gone that route and can you confirm what tyres you were supplied and whether you are pleased with them?
Post #1002169 29th Jul 2023 3:31pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure

Quiet and good handling on the road. Grip off road is okay but a very fragile tyre that’s prone to sidewall and tread punctures from sharp stones. If you don’t go off road then they will be fine.

I swapped mine for some BFGoodrich which are much tougher but a bit louder and less fuel efficient.
Post #1002174 29th Jul 2023 4:38pm
Tim in Scotland

Standard factory Offroad tyre issue are Goodyear Adventures but they also say that the dealership can arrange Goodyear Duratracs at extra cost/ by arrangement. Would suggest you go aftermarket though as dealers mark up is steep but they farm the work out to a mobile tyre fitter!
I ran my D240 110 on aftermarket Duratracs which were fine on and off road but in 20” size the sidewalls are vulnerable (purchased and fitted by Kwikfit at a nice discount on my drive) - I got one slashed driving along a drainage ditch wide enough to swallow the whole car. I specced my new 90 with the Offroad Pack that includes the Adventures. Again nice a quiet on road, decent Offroad so far although I haven’t tried them on deep mud tracks yet. Neither tyre has caused any concern on streaming wet roads and I had no problems on the Duratracs on snow.

There are other brands now making the right sizes for L663 Defender but I have read that the BFG AT’s, while great off-road, isn’t great on wet roads.

For what I use the car for I’m happy with the compromise of the Adventures on the 90 and still have the Duratracs in my garage if I need a bit more Offroad grip. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #1002178 29th Jul 2023 4:48pm
AmL

I have BFG's on my 90 Puma, great tyre off road, not very good on wet tarmac. If not going off road, or only mild gravel track and grass, standard all season tyres are probably best option, may not have the 'butch' presence of a chunky AT tyre but on A roads and motorways, your life depends on good grip, particularly in the wet.
Post #1002181 29th Jul 2023 5:03pm
Mr Fox

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
Cheers Thumbs Up

Plan is to run a set of winter tyres on the stock rims and use Rotiform rims for the rest of the year. If the standard off-road tyres are decent, I am tempted to swap them to the Rotis, rather than having to buy a new set of all seasons when I have a perfectly decent set being delivered with the new 90.
Post #1002245 30th Jul 2023 9:28am
haymeister

Japan 
Supplied with Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure

30k KM in 20 months, no issues.
Very quiet, economy is decent. If you're not doing 'harder' off-roading these are good enough.
Sidewalls are made of rice paper as someone has mentioned.

I had considered the all-season tyres as I mainly munch motorway miles, but wanted a more off-road 'look'.

Suitable for a light dusting of snow, but not 3 peak mountain snowflake certified for deeper and icier stuff.
I swap mine out in the winter. 22MY Defender 110 D300 S in Pangea Green and Contrast White Roof
IG defender_japan "Hulk san"
Post #1002340 31st Jul 2023 6:21am
zilch

Australia 
Managed to move from the GY AT adventures on 19” rims to Falken Wildpeak AT3W 275/65 R18,
more forgiving in the wet than BFG’s, but slightly softer compound which means they wear a bit
quicker.. yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #1002377 31st Jul 2023 12:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1