↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Swivel Housing Preload after fitting larger wheels?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Gibo993

United Kingdom 
Swivel Housing Preload after fitting larger wheels?
Fitted 18" VBS Nemesis wheels and since then been having wobble at 55-70 mph It was perfect before on the Standard 16" boost alloys - Had fronts re balanced and it improved but still there. I contacted Dynabead to see what weight of beads they recommended as a next step - but they have said I should check the Swivel Housing Preload first as this cures 80% of Wheel wobble issues. Any pointers to how to do this and whats required?
Post #952167 10th May 2022 3:44pm
jimbo55

United Kingdom 
Saying it cures 80% of wheel wobble is a bit extreme, most wheel wobble issues will be fixed by wheel balance alone but there is some merit in what they are saying.

I would start by checking how much preload you actually have before going any further, it is not uncommon for the preload to reduce over time so May need adjusting.

There is a value which you measure with a spring balance (can’t remember off the top of my head) which you test for by removing the steering arms and seeing how much force it takes to turn the wheel by pulling the spring balance

If maybe a case of the preload being lower than recommended, and was fine with the smaller wheels but you are able to notice it now you have the heavier combination.

I had an annoying vibration which I couldn’t get rid of after having the tyres balanced numerous times by varying garages so ended up increasing the preload (to more than recommended) and it’s been perfect ever since. I ended up removing a couple of shims on both sides (measured it as we went to check we didn’t go too far) and now have no shims at all. It was very much a trial and error approach though
Post #952171 10th May 2022 4:49pm
Gibo993

United Kingdom 
I have had the wheels balanced twice which improved it but not fixed it. It was perfect with the standard wheels. I guess I just want to remove a small shim on each side to see if it improves. how easy is it to do this?
Post #952174 10th May 2022 5:04pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
It’s pretty easy to do. However, I had the same issue then tried a different tyre fitter who balanced them again and got it perfect, so it might be worth taking it somewhere else.
Post #952186 10th May 2022 6:15pm
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
Gibo993 wrote:
I have had the wheels balanced twice which improved it but not fixed it. It was perfect with the standard wheels. I guess I just want to remove a small shim on each side to see if it improves. how easy is it to do this?

Pull wheels, track rod and drag link, then see how much resistance there is to steering input.

If you do need to remove shims, be aware that when you pull the top pin out, you'll probably dump a load of grease the swivel. Also worth putting a slot in the bracket holding the brake line, so that you can in future pull the pin without removing the brake line.

Post #952189 10th May 2022 6:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1