↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Central Locking Actuators
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
BenB8man

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Central Locking Actuators
I've been searching plenty, but haven't quite found the same issue I have.

I am when using the remote fob I am able to lock the doors, but they immediately unlock again. The alarm behaves as if it has locked however, so given a short time for it to arm, opening a door will set the alarm off.
I can also 'unlock' the already unlocked doors. I have to do this to deactivate the alarm/immobiliser. This makes mostly normal noises but I do sometimes get a slugglish/straining noise from rear offside door.

I have started looking at the wiring, but most other reports caused by broken wires in the pillar/conduit bit, issues don't really match what I'm experiencing.
I have tried plugging in a new actuator into the rear door that makes a sluggish sound and the truck still locks then unlocks.

Its almost like one door isn't fully locking, would I be right in saying the drivers door is the only actuator with position feedback, so would be the only one that would cause the unlock? If it saw a door open I think its supposed to beep, which it doesnt?

My truck does have an aftermarket immobiliser installed over the top of the existing system, so I'm currently hoping it not that.. I think I'll be taking the drivers door card off next to regrease etc.

Any help appreciated. Thumbs Up
Post #951902 7th May 2022 9:52pm
UtilityTruck

United Kingdom 
I had the passenger front door lock actuator go bad and it behaved as you described. Sometimes it would work normally, then for a while it would sound like it was locking, make a straining/groaning noise and then unlock again. I think in the end it just stopped working altogether.

Currently I have a dodgy rear door lock that while it reliably locks, it’s 50/50 if it unlocks.. 2014 Keswick Utility 2.2
Post #951903 7th May 2022 10:08pm
BenB8man

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Right ok! I think I'm probably just wondering how it knows its not made full locked position.

As far as I know, the passenger doors are only 2 wire, that take 12v on either for their direction. No position feedback possible.

Ok, sounds like I just need to go door to door plugging in this new actuator and see when it starts working again. Thumbs Up
Post #951905 7th May 2022 10:14pm
Dixy

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 2.5 TD CSW Cairns Blue
Are all the doors operating the interior lights properly as I think that is how the system monitors the doors being fully closed.
Post #951913 8th May 2022 6:39am
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
Only the drivers door locking actuator has the switch built in which tells the 10AS alarm unit whether it is locked or not (intended for allowing the system to lock the other doors with the key).

The system is unable to detect any other door lock status

Steve 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
84' 90 3.9 V8 Caged Pickup Build Thread - Now For Sale

Mobile Diesel Heater Build Thread
Post #951922 8th May 2022 12:29pm
Race.it

Spain 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alaska White
Disconnect them one by one to see which one causes the issue? Searching for my first Defender...and started just as Covid hit, so talk about timing.

5 months after starting the search I found it, and here is the details
Post #951949 8th May 2022 5:38pm
macfrank

Germany 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
BenB8man wrote:
Right ok! I think I'm probably just wondering how it knows its not made full locked position.

As far as I know, the passenger doors are only 2 wire, that take 12v on either for their direction. No position feedback possible.

Usually there's a postition micro switch inside these actuators.
Here someone took a Ford actuator apart, not sure how the ones in the Defender look like, though
https://www.sgaf.de/t/funktionsweise-des-t...i-ii/13243
Post #951974 8th May 2022 7:21pm
macfrank

Germany 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
rallysteve wrote:
Only the drivers door locking actuator has the switch built in which tells the 10AS alarm unit whether it is locked or not (intended for allowing the system to lock the other doors with the key).

I'm not sure this switch is actually telling the AS10 how the lock state is. I think it's just a "command" to the AS10 to do the un/lock.
Post #951979 8th May 2022 7:35pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Some good info and circuit diagrams here https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic71912...=lock+wire post 5 and 6.
Post #952011 8th May 2022 11:56pm
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
macfrank wrote:
rallysteve wrote:

I'm not sure this switch is actually telling the AS10 how the lock state is. I think it's just a "command" to the AS10 to do the un/lock.

It is a switch which provides the status of the lock to the AS10 (although it performs the function you describe anyway). When you operate the lock manually (with either the key or the internal button) it manually operates the actuator and closes/opens said switch which then tells the 10AS to lock or unlock the other actuators.

This also performs a monitoring of the drivers door lock, i.e. if the switch is not closed then the system will try and unlock. So if the drivers door lock is unable to fully lock or the switch is defective then the central locking will try to lock, see the switch has not changed state and unlock again.

Steve 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
84' 90 3.9 V8 Caged Pickup Build Thread - Now For Sale

Mobile Diesel Heater Build Thread
Post #952062 9th May 2022 1:46pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1