↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Genuine LED head lights
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Linds Hanson

United Kingdom 
lord-haggis wrote:
I have truck lites and the landrigziger loom upgrade, fantastic upgrade.

https://shop.landreiziger.nl/lichtversterk...elais.html

You dont need the loom upgrade with LED headlights as they draw such low current compared to the original Halogen headlights. The curcuits bare actually safer without the loom and obviuosly simpler to maintain.
Post #951425 3rd May 2022 9:24am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Why do you say "the circuits are actually safer without the loom"?

I don't have a COTS loom (I don't understand why you'd buy something when you can make a better version yourself) but your comment is unexpected and I'd like to understand the reasoning behind it and what you think is wrong with the loom.
Post #951458 3rd May 2022 6:12pm
kenzle8a

I found the Land Risgiser loom made a nice difference even with the LED's, mine never used to turn off properly until I fitted it and would fliker on the side light option.

I'm a liability with anything to do with wiring (my usual tool of choice is the hammer), but part of being dyslexic is anything electronic confuses the utter hell out of me, always has, wiring specs, relays etc no matter how hard I try I cannot get the numbers and colours to make sense, yet I can remove and rebuild pretty much anything mechanical from memory.
Post #951462 3rd May 2022 7:02pm
thomson_adam

Click image to enlarge

Hello everyone
Thank you for all of the reply’s

I have been offered the following genuine land rover kit for £1300 fitted. Just waiting to see if these have the day time running lights

Not sure if this is a good deal or not
Post #951477 3rd May 2022 9:09pm
balmybaldwin

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Buckingham Blue
blackwolf wrote:

I don't have a COTS loom (I don't understand why you'd buy something when you can make a better version yourself) but your comment is unexpected and I'd like to understand the reasoning behind it and what you think is wrong with the loom.

A common problem for the looms is water ingress into the relays. A lot if not all the after market ones use one relay for both dipped and another for both hi-beam. This means failure of one relay could cut your lights completely (in most cases the other beam will still work)

After reading about this I've held back on fitting mine, but ill probably go ahead but try to water proof as much as possible and consider a second set of relays so I can have 2 for dipped & 2 for high
Post #951485 3rd May 2022 9:48pm
sako243

Wales 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Alpine White
blackwolf wrote:

At least on a 300Tdi LR have fused all four headlight circuits which mean you only lose one bulb due to a wiring fault. I've yet to see a non custom loom that has four relays, they typically just pick up one headlight connector and this half the redundancy built in as standard.

I've had a wiring issue blow the fuse on the passenger headlight whilst doing 60mph along the edge of a loch on the way back from Skye at night in a storm. Net result because of the aftermarket loom I was plunged into darkness, not a pleasant experience. Luckily dipped beam was okay.

With a standard loom I'd have just lost the passenger high beam and had less seat cleaning required. Ed
82 Hotspur Sandringham 6x6
95 Defender 110 300Tdi
Post #951511 4th May 2022 8:08am
Linds Hanson

United Kingdom 
blackwolf wrote:

Because you are introducing more wiring and relays to a simple curcuit. The looms are usually only connected to one side of the head light curcuit so if a fault occurs on that side both headlights cease to work! A dangerous situation on a unlit country road at speed.
Post #951514 4th May 2022 8:39am
Linds Hanson

United Kingdom 
thomson_adam wrote:

Click image to enlarge

Hello everyone

I have been offered the following genuine land rover kit for £1300 fitted. Just waiting to see if these have the day time running lights

Contact Mud UK they are the only importers of the original LR spec Perei LED lights much cheaper than JLR. Try 4x4 Overlander for headlights
Post #951516 4th May 2022 8:44am
Linds Hanson

United Kingdom 
balmybaldwin wrote:
blackwolf wrote:

A common problem for the looms is water ingress into the relays. A lot if not all the after market ones use one relay for both dipped and another for both hi-beam. This means failure of one relay could cut your lights completely (in most cases the other beam will still work)

After reading about this I've held back on fitting mine, but ill probably go ahead but try to water proof as much as possible and consider a second set of relays so I can have 2 for dipped & 2 for high

Agreed we used to fit the Piaa combined dip/main relay unit with water proof box combined with uprated Halogen bulbs in Cibie headlight units thease gave a great output and super crisp cutoff dip image (in some ways offering better clarity than the LED image) but as you stated only connected to the LH headlight harness with one relay for both headlights dip and one relay for both main beams. So if a fault occured on the LH headlight curcuit both headlights are lost. We also had two occasions were customers had flashed main beam and their relays had stuck on causing eventual flat battery problems. The relay system is totally unecessary for LED headlights even when running bridged dip/main beams on main beam
Post #951518 4th May 2022 8:55am
Linds Hanson

United Kingdom 
We fit the Vision X LED headlights finding they offer a better output than the Nolden or Trucklites particularly when running combined dip/main beam when on full beam this combined with a Lazer Linear Elite with dip beam assist provides amazing but discrete illumination with low current draw.
Post #951521 4th May 2022 9:08am
The Zee

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Indus Silver
Linds Hanson wrote:
thomson_adam wrote:

Click image to enlarge

Hello everyone

Contact Mud UK they are the only importers of the original LR spec Perei LED lights much cheaper than JLR. Try 4x4 Overlander for headlights

Dun Bri I believe are the UK distibutor for lite-wire (the new name for Peri) - https://www.dun-bri.com/Catalogue/Commerci...TE-wire-95

Just check the link and compare the prices.

I purchased a whole set of rear indicators, Brake/Stop, reverse and fog lights genuine Peri/lite-wire plus plinths for 2/3 of the price that MUD wanted. (Not being harsh but MUD are not the cheep for items that are commercial off the shelf : 95mm lights are used in many applicatioms, Defender NAS style just happens to be a very small sector) Zaid-M
www.DefencePhotos.com
2014 Defender 110 Utility, 2.2 Puma, Indus Silver
Not just transport more like a religion
Post #951540 4th May 2022 11:57am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
On two occasions I have experienced complete failure of both headlights at speed, on e on my Defender (switch failure) and once in my Disco2 (I never established the reason, I dipped and both headlights went out completely, un-dip and they stayed off, fortunately switching all lights off and on again restored the headlights, and in 200,000 miles this never happened again). When the Disco lights went out I was on Zig Zag Hill near Shaftesbury on a very black night and it was quite exciting.

In the case of the Defender by far the greatest risk is the daft standard wiring through the switch and even a design-challenged appliqué harness will improve this.

I built my own and no single fault other than a switch fault would kill all four beams, and a switch fault is vastly less likely now than before.

I can also think of very few situations in which a total headlight failure would provide a satisfactory explanation for driving into something. I struggle to understand why one would be driving without knowing what is occupying the distance needed to stop, even if the lights go out.
Post #951564 4th May 2022 3:42pm
Linds Hanson

United Kingdom 
Why not try trying turning your lights off at 50 MPH on a twisty country lane for a few seconds and see where you end up by the time you stop. We all know the Defender indicator switch is pure 80's BL/Lucas crap but it isnt helping putting even more complication in the curcuit when it isnt required with low current consuming lighting.
Post #951584 4th May 2022 7:00pm
kenzle8a

They look suspiciously like the ones you can buy of Alibaba for a lot less.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Tuf...2ff4MkmqVB
Post #952874 18th May 2022 2:02pm
chrismack85

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 90 Td5 PU Belize Green
Hi all - Chris here for ORE4x4

As of last week we are officially the UK distributor for LTPRTZ.

Those that have dealt with ORE etc will know I set the business up the ethos of quality and service, we will not just sell anything we can find to turn a profit and we wont sell anything we haven't tested. if you scroll through our instagram there's lots of content of me testing the LTPRTZ products and by testing I don't mean chucking them on the car and checking they passed MOT etc

I spent a great deal of time speaking directly with the Germans around certification etc. There's also videos of me tank testing them to prove IP ratings as well as bettering them with a hammer and even taking them apart to check the types of seal used in the spot lights....

Is it possible the link you mention is a copy of another brand or even LTPRTZ? even Britpart have a similar looking light given how popular the LTPRTZ style headlights are...

In 3 years (circa 250 pairs) we've had 2 failures... one on my car and another on a customers car, one was the DRL failed and the other was the dipped beam failed.. both of which where replaced the same week.

all LTPRTZ units have a 3 year warranty as standard and I stand by the brand as a quality product hence we don't sell any other.... hence after months of negotiations we're not the official UK distributor.

Given we've build a brand renowned for quality it would be extremely stupid for us to be selling products that could tarnishing our reputation.

Also - I wouldn't have just ordered 200x pairs from Germany which are currently clearing customs on the way here so I can assure you there a top product.

Cheers
Chris
Post #952979 19th May 2022 6:14pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>