↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Remappping for Economy.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Bobble

United Kingdom 
It's not about the driving experience. If I want to dash anywhere I take the other mostly aluminium car.
I'm looking at reducing running costs, but the savings just don't look that attractive against the outlay, especially when compared to just backing off a bit as I did this morning. Thought the needle was stuck!
I had a Disco transfer box fitted at the beginning of the year, so a bit of an analogue remap if you like, and the intention there was to cut fuel bills, but sure enough....driving to Telford last week I caught myself doing upwards of <ahem> 69-and-a-bit mph.
And why? Because I could I guess, even though I didn't need to. The extra top end was there and I simply ended up using it.
So in terms of improving economy I'll stick with just slowing down a bit for now.
Post #91481 27th Sep 2011 2:26am
ken

United Kingdom 
You see that's the problem with big heavy fit for purpose 4 x 4's the trade off is they just arenot really the most economical vehicles out there remap or no remap.
Post #91483 27th Sep 2011 4:33am
Zinke

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
I think you have to look at remapping as a who package, if you just look at one thing you get then it maybe doesnt make sense to have it done but if you look at everything you get then its very much worth while!
Post #91498 27th Sep 2011 8:52am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bobble

United Kingdom 
Zinke wrote:
I think you have to look at remapping as a who package, if you just look at one thing you get then it maybe doesnt make sense to have it done but if you look at everything you get then its very much worth while!

The additional benefits are largely worthless if the main aim is left wanting.
It's like buying a tyre on which the tread isn't really right, but putting up with it because it's got nice white writing on the sidewalls.
Post #91568 27th Sep 2011 1:52pm
party monkey

England 2005 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Cairns Blue
Bobble wrote:
Zinke wrote:

The additional benefits are largely worthless if the main aim is left wanting.
It's like buying a tyre on which the tread isn't really right, but putting up with it because it's got nice white writing on the sidewalls.

Out of interest.... what did the bespoke remappers tell you is possible from a td5, plus what compromises elsewhere and costs ?

Edit : Sorry.. sounded Censored ... wasn't meant to be Embarassed I'm just interested to know the goalposts really... i.e 40mpg+ is possible but drives like sack of Censored etc etc Shocked

Alive remapped mine with a drivability bias and I've picked up a few mpg more as a 'bonus'. Top all round job Smile Jon - 110 td5 [sold]. Currently Defenderless.
Post #91578 27th Sep 2011 2:34pm
Bobble

United Kingdom 
party monkey wrote:
I'm just interested to know the goalposts really... i.e 40mpg+ is possible but drives like sack of Censored etc etc Shocked

Alive remapped mine with a drivability bias and I've picked up a few mpg more as a 'bonus'. Top all round job Smile

All I'm looking for is improved economy without impacting noticeably on other areas such as driving like a sack of Censored . Tall order I know.
Post #91618 27th Sep 2011 5:58pm
party monkey

Bobble wrote:
party monkey wrote:
I'm just interested to know the goalposts really... i.e 40mpg+ is possible but drives like sack of Censored etc etc Shocked

Alive remapped mine with a drivability bias and I've picked up a few mpg more as a 'bonus'. Top all round job Smile

All I'm looking for is improved economy without impacting noticeably on other areas such as driving like a sack of Censored . Tall order I know.

Yep... I get your goalposts... what I was angling at, not very well granted, is what are the goalposts from a remappers point of view. Have you asked these guys whats actually possible ? Jon - 110 td5 [sold]. Currently Defenderless.
Post #91657 27th Sep 2011 8:11pm
Bobble

United Kingdom 
party monkey wrote:
Have you asked these guys whats actually possible ?

Nope, I asked here first...yer know, where there's no bottom line and no overheads to cover Wink
Post #91671 27th Sep 2011 8:55pm
party monkey

Bobble wrote:
party monkey wrote:
Have you asked these guys whats actually possible ?

Nope, I asked here first...yer know, where there's no bottom line and no overheads to cover Wink

Point taken Smile but that said, I would still suggest giving the tuning guys a shout. In my limited dealings so far, I've found them to be refreshingly honest. Their reputation is very important to them Thumbs Up

I suspect you may struggle to find folk on here that have just remapped purely for economy. From those that have posted so far, the improved MPG seems to be either an added bonus or just one of a number of factors requested from a more 'allround' remap. Jon - 110 td5 [sold]. Currently Defenderless.
Post #91758 28th Sep 2011 12:50pm
chiefstoker

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Zambezi Silver
I think ultimately you splash out on a re-map because you want one, like a new bumper or a set of tyres even though you might not necessatily need any of this stuff. In terms of reducing running costs where do you stop? do you remove your roof rack, drive with hardly any fuel/load etc etc. For me, I would have a re-map purely to optimise the smoothness and economy will play second fiddle 2005 TD5 90 Hard Top

Beer 'n Sex 'n Chips 'n Gravy

Post #91791 28th Sep 2011 6:56pm
110ross

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Chawton White
Hi All.

thought i would throw my two penneth into the ring.
I've got a 2001 110 CSW with standard engine, t/box etc when i got it.
On Avon Rangemaster tyres, mixed driving i was getting around 26mpg.
after a change to a disco2 t/box, still getting 26mpg.
Added a roof rack, dropped to about 25mpg average.
Then went to see Gary at Alive Tuning - asked for a stage 2 and requested 'no smoke, more torque, not worried about top end power'
This brought economy up to 29-30mpg with vastly improved driveability, easily able to pull the high top gear complete with caravan etc etc.
And much quieter too.
not cheap, but very good.

ross.
Post #92223 1st Oct 2011 12:50pm
Bobble

United Kingdom 
An extra 4-5 mpg?
As mentioned earlier, that's a lot of miles before the cost is recouped.
Post #92224 1st Oct 2011 12:53pm
df1

I can give some info on this .

I have been running on a generic autologic remap for the last 4/5 years.

I was averaging 28-30 mpg - usually 28 in winter and 30 in summer.

I went to the guys in Alive tuning for advise and over the last 2 months have fitted an EGR valve blanking kit, upgraded intercooler and boost box, ITG air filter, decat pipe, straight through centre silencer. I got a remap last week and did 300km since.

Driving in the same rev band, speed and acceleration that I used to, I am now getting a little over 35mpg. Very Happy Very Happy

There is also loads more power if I feel like putting the boot down and no black smoke to be seen.

Just goes to show the difference between the generic and bespoke remaps.

I am very impressed with Gary and crew at Alive Tuning Bow down

I told them what I was looking for and the rev ranges, use etc and couldn't be happier with the results.
Post #92443 3rd Oct 2011 6:45pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I too have been running an Autologic remap for a couple of years on my Puma. I had the pleasure of visiting their premises at Thame about a year ago and spent quite a bit of time in their workshop whilst they worked on my vehicle to cure a software upgrade compatability issue with the map.
Whilst there I was categorically informed that there were no real benefits to be gained by upgrading the intercooler or decatting it as the Autologic remap had been optimally configured for a standard vehicle, indeed there was a risk that modifying could throw the map out and it would run 'like a bag o'spanners.'

Obviously things must be different on a TD5? If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #92449 3rd Oct 2011 7:16pm
adafish

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 110 300 Tdi DCPU Stornoway Grey
Take ya roof tent off, you'll get about another 5-6mpg from that....Also stop driving it like the bloke from " Driving Ms Daisy ".... Putting Dreams on Drives at JLR Solihull..
Post #92491 3rd Oct 2011 9:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>