↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Deep rumble/drone/vibration between 1750 - 2000 ish rpm
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
LandymanStefan

England 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Deep rumble/drone/vibration between 1750 - 2000 ish rpm
My Td5 90 has develop a strange deep low rumble vibration between 1750-2000 ish rpm. Its a really deep rumble and can feel it through the floor, steering wheel and gear stick.

I originally thought it was the propshaft but then realised i can make it do it standing still in neutral.

From the drivers seat it feels like its coming from the left side of the engine somewhere

Happens on both revving and overun, also happens regardless of clutch down or up.

Worse when cold and worse when moving in 1st and second.

Motor seems absolutely sweet at all other rpms. Just seems like something is resonating at a certain frequency.

Any clues? Some people from a google search have said possible engine mounts? If so how do i check the engine mounts?

Edit: Forgot to add its a 2001 with 54000 miles. Only recent mod is a bas intercooler.
Post #950547 25th Apr 2022 9:47pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Interesting.

First thought: How is the harmonic balancer on the front of the engine?

Second thought: Is one of your injectors started to intermittently work? You will need a nano com or similar to see the injector signal.

A follow-on from the second thought is obviously the injector loom and oil in it. Probably not, but worth checking at the least.
Post #950584 26th Apr 2022 8:56am
LandymanStefan

Not sure I have thought about the crankshaft damper. How do you check it?I know there’s the squeak check on shutdown but mine doesn’t do this.

No oil in the loom.

I do have a nanocom to check the injectors but how do I check exactly?

I don’t think it is the injectors because it happens exactly the same on overun as it does on a pull. If I find a hill and get speed up in second and let the revs fall through from 2250 to 1750 it still does it.
Post #950608 26th Apr 2022 10:50am
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
DMF. Iknow it’s does change with clutch operation, but it always spinning with engine. Just a thought.

Or have you tried running engine with drive belt removed, just to see if any difference
Post #950639 26th Apr 2022 4:54pm
LandymanStefan

Yes my friend suggested DMF but im not so sure. Theres no change with the clutch operation and i though the dmf starts to rattle when it starts giving up?

Is it safe to momentarily run without the drive belt? That would isolate the crankshaft damper and any of the pulleys.
Post #950644 26th Apr 2022 5:09pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
The clutch usually starts to judder when the DMF starts to fail.
Post #950645 26th Apr 2022 5:37pm
LandymanStefan

On some inspection of the front pulleys the fan pulley is leaking. Done a bit of research and this is meant to be a sealed bearing so I wonder if this bearing is shot. The vibration feels bigger than just the fan bearing but I think it’s worth a shot.

Click image to enlarge
Post #950650 26th Apr 2022 6:25pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Yes your fan bearing is shot, or close to it. As it happens I have just cleaned out and re-packed the bearing on Miffy's engine. It will last a little longer but will need replacing soon.

This is the bearing - https://www.turnerengineering.co.uk/PBSCPr...EALw%5FwcB

and this is a good how to - http://www.discovery2.co.uk/Fan_bearing.html

It is not a difficult job to do. Bearing is a little expensive. Before fitting make sure the bearing has enough grease in it. Prior to fitting leave it in the freezer over-night, this will it will just slot in to the front cover. Obviously, just give it a free hours to come back up to room temp before starting the engine.
Post #950712 27th Apr 2022 10:41am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
LandymanStefan wrote:
Not sure I have thought about the crankshaft damper. How do you check it?I know there’s the squeak check on shutdown but mine doesn’t do this.

No oil in the loom.

I do have a nanocom to check the injectors but how do I check exactly?

I don’t think it is the injectors because it happens exactly the same on overun as it does on a pull. If I find a hill and get speed up in second and let the revs fall through from 2250 to 1750 it still does it.

The crankshaft damper will begin to squeak when turning off the engine, turning in to a clatter if really bad. The rubber internals separate from the internals of the pulley. It can lead to weird vibrations at weird RPMs. Take the belt off and give the pulley a good waggle and gently with a pry bar. Any extra movement shouldn't be there.

As for the injectors. Plug in the nano com and navigate to the injector tolerance screen. Run the engine to operating temps. At idle they should all be fairly consistent. Raise the RPMs and watch whether the numbers remain similar, if any do not then that injector is the one to begin with. Start with the loom side of things. Move on to the injector seals. Then suspect the injector itself. You can swap the injectors around and see if that particular inject continues to behave irratically in its new cylinder. You will need new injector seals for each swap you do.

It is not a point to the problem sort of problem, but an iterative problem. Keep ticking off what it is not.

I am going to add exhaust leak in to the mix, gasket or hole in a muffler or collapsed muffler.
Post #950714 27th Apr 2022 10:52am
LandymanStefan

Thanks for the write up geo.

Ordered the fan bearing bits last night, hopefully they will arrive in time for the weekend.

My mrs is back from a few days away so I’ll treat her to an evening of revving the truck while I go round trying to hear where it’s coming from.

The truck is due a service so I think I’ll crack on with that first, then I check the injectors with the nanocom as you said.

Finally when I come to do the bearing I think remove the belt and check all the pulleys by hand for any play while I’m there.

As for the exhaust it’s not impossible but the exhaust is in fairly good nick. I may check the mounts in case something has come loose or it resonating. Could be an excuse to buy a demand system. Twisted Evil

Really hoping it’s just the fan bearing at this point.
Post #950739 27th Apr 2022 1:32pm
LandymanStefan

Have just been underneath to check uj’s and grease the props. While I was under there I noticed my water pump has been leaking so this again could be another source of the noise. Another job to add to the list.

Click image to enlarge
Post #950881 28th Apr 2022 6:18pm
LandymanStefan

So the mystery continues. I did a few greenlanes yesterday and after a session offroad the vibration rumble stops. Then after about 10 minutes back on the tarmac it comes back. This happened 3 times after each lane. Beginning to think its a mounting issue rather than an engine fault.
Post #951166 1st May 2022 8:34am
landy andy

Ahhh. It’s just objectionable to being on roads. It wants to play. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Post #951188 1st May 2022 10:32am
LandymanStefan

Hey all thought I would update you all.
So after changing the water pump, fan bearing and fan belt there was no improvement.

The rumble continued to get worse and began starting at lower rpm’s 1500+ It then became so bad it was undriveable couldn’t even see in the mirror it was vibrating so much.

Bit the bullet and bought a LOF single mass flywheel kit. Changed it. Job done fired her up last night and she’s as smooth as silk.

Click image to enlarge
Post #952856 18th May 2022 10:51am
landy andy

Good news it’s sorted. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Post #952904 18th May 2022 9:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>