↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Tdi > Front Drive Shaft Flange Bolts
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Classic110

United Kingdom 
Front Drive Shaft Flange Bolts
I have been chasing a front end vibration under load for sometime now and a few days ago started to replace both front drive shafts and CVs. As I was in there and there was some bearing rumble from both sides these were planned to be done also. However, doing the nearside on Monday, the inner bearing race was spinning in the Hub! So new OE hub ordered which turned up this morning. New Timken bearings fitted into the hub, fitted to stub axle and so on. To my surprise when I came to fit the drive flange to the Hub the BOLTS are about 10mm to long!!! The centre section where the bearings are fitted is also about 3mm deeper than the original!!! Spoke to supplier who said "sold about 80 of these without issue".

So, is FTC942 really the same as RUB500240?
Post #949935 20th Apr 2022 5:03pm
Mossberg

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Aintree Green
How are you going on with this, are youall sorted?

I have just recently done my front swivels and this was the start of the spanner work for me on my truck. Boy there is a lot to learn, with much of the learning being about different parts as many items have been changed over the vehicles lifetime.

My truck is 1992/3 with a 300tdi fitted but I believe 200tdi axles (its has discs front and rear). Apparently this was change over period from 10 to 24 spline, with mine being a 10 spline. Mine has the thicker drive flanges so my alloys on the front have the centre cap missing as they don't fit onto the thicker flanged axles, so may be worth checking this on yours. I also believe the front hubs on mine are different to the back.

I really am no expert, so please listen to advice from more experienced folk, but perhaps something to check.
Post #950564 26th Apr 2022 3:06am
Classic110

United Kingdom 
After a bit more research, it would appear that RUB500240 does fit the earlier models, but not the other way round. So FTC942 with not fit later models, I do not know the change over date. The reason is the earlier models fitted originally with FTC942 had a thicker drive shaft flange. I found a used hub locally and returned the other one after speaking to the supplier again.

Every day is a school day.
Post #950573 26th Apr 2022 7:33am
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
The difference between the 10 spline shaft drive members and 24 spline shaft drive members is not only the thickness, but also the location diameter. IIRC, the thicker drive member is also larger in diameter.
So that means the hubs will also be different.
I would not want to fit a hub that the drive flange is not located (diametrically) properly. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #950575 26th Apr 2022 7:42am
Mossberg

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Aintree Green
Does anyone have photos of the different hubs. Or perhaps dimensions, as this will help to get the correct hubs to replace what we need on our particular assemblies. I think often a supplier will just give what they think is the right part without actually taking nite of the subtle but important differences between them. At least if we know what we need we can ask them to shock the part before sending to us.
Post #950587 26th Apr 2022 9:12am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1