↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Modifications & Maintenance (L663) > 110 roof rack noise - any solutions?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
JackW

United States 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi SW Coniston Green
110 roof rack noise - any solutions?
One of the very few things that bug me about my 2020 P300 D110 is the tremendous amount of wind noise the roof rack generates right around 60 mph (100 kph). It starts to howl about 55 mph and tends to taper off once you get above 70 mph. Its the factory fitted roof rack which has a vertical lip spoiler on the underside of the leading edge. I was wondering if anyone has found a modification that will make it a bit quieter. I was thinking a different front spoiler or different spacing of the horizontal bars of the rack?

I've read other posts complaining about the wind noise from the rack but haven't seen any solutions yet.

Click image to enlarge
Post #949894 20th Apr 2022 2:51am
ibexman

United Kingdom 
Take it off
Post #949895 20th Apr 2022 6:24am
JPE

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Try driving an older defender with a rack, after which your new model will sound silent.
Post #949951 20th Apr 2022 10:08pm
JackW

So far no helpful ideas - I have a lightweight roof tent that I can swap between any of my four Land Rovers.

I also have an older 300 Tdi Defender with a roof rack, snorkel and roof tent so I am extremely familiar with that noise - but the longitudinal slats in the Hannibal Rack are a lot quieter than the transverse slats in the factory Defender 110 rack.

I was just wondering if anyone has modified the factory new Defender rack with a different fairing or other mod to get it quieter. I can't believe that Land Rover wouldn't test this in the wind tunnel...

Click image to enlarge
Post #949956 20th Apr 2022 10:56pm
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 V8 Petrol 50th Auto Chawton White
I have the factory roof rack on mine and I would say there isn't much noise at motorway speeds 50-70mph, yes you can hear it but it's not really annoying. I wonder if it makes a difference as to where you have it fitted, I'm not sure whether there is any forward/rearward adjustment but if there is it could make the difference. I know if I open my sunroof the wind buffeting is annoying but I live in the NE of England so there's not much chance of having the sunroof open much Laughing Cheers Ian
--------------------
22MY Defender 110 D200 SE, Fuji White.
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Instagram @defender_v8
Post #949964 20th Apr 2022 11:37pm
cyberhusky

Luxembourg 
I do have the expedition rack with rooftent, 90 liter box and 2 20 liter jerry cans as seen on the photo.
@90 km/h I notice it more than without all the gadgets. But the noise is more like flying in a passenger airplane, not annoying but noticeable. You still can talk without shouting.
At 120 km/h it is much more but I avoid driving this fast I don't want loose any items Smile

I also moved 2 bars more backwards to have tghe tent as far as posible to the rear end.

The advantage of the roofrack noise is that I hear when my son drives (newbie driver) the Defender and he reaches 100 km/h I can tell him he's too fast and still admiring the landscapes around Rolling with laughter

A frind of mine has his old Defender 110 with Frontrunner roofrack and iKamper tent, plus watersupplies and 2 Jerry cans. He says very loud, no way to talk to each other. The noise is more like whisling.

Click image to enlarge
 22MY Defender 110 (actual) | 10MY Freelander 2 (history) | 15MY Discovery Sport HSE (history)
Post #950352 24th Apr 2022 5:19pm
cyberhusky

Luxembourg 
@JackW

is that a TerraPod Solo Rooftent? 22MY Defender 110 (actual) | 10MY Freelander 2 (history) | 15MY Discovery Sport HSE (history)
Post #950357 24th Apr 2022 6:45pm
JackW

is that a TerraPod Solo Rooftent?

Yes it is - and I really like it. I had a Maggiolina roof tent for ten years that I really liked but it took up the entire roof rack on my Defender and stood about 13" tall. I've known Chad since he first started talking about building his own roof tent that he could actually fit in (he stands around 6'-7'' tall) and I followed his progress as he worked his way through the design and prototype stages of building his Terrapod roof tent.

He was an industrial designer for Boeing and I was a Manufacturing Engineer at Lockheed so with similar backgrounds in engineering and the processes of building aircraft I particularly liked his concept from the very first look at his ideas. His concept of custom made aluminum extrusions coupled with state of the art composite materials, modern fabrics. low profile and light weight got me interested in his new tent.

My investment broker field tested one of the Terrapod prototypes for thousands of miles and two years on his Toyota Land Cruiser while Chad lined everything up for his first production run which he funded with a kickstarter campaign. I had seen the computer models and noticed that Chad was using modular design practices (a very big thing in engineering) for his Terrapod so I asked him if he could make a narrower single person version. He said he COULD but wasn't really planning on doing that right away. I told him that I would jump in on his kickstarter campaign if he'd build me a solo version. He was still reluctant to agree to build one until another potential customer asked for the same thing so with two confirmed commitments he decided to go ahead build two Solo tents in the first production batch. He took mine up to Overland Expo East last year and said it got a lot of attention so I guess the two of us that demanded he build the Solo were right. I think it will be a big hit for guys with short wheelbase off road rigs as it stands only five inches tall and weighs about 85 pounds. Here are a couple of photos of how it fits on my Defender 90.

I can't stress how much I appreciate the design and quality of the Terrapod tents - I've looked a lot of different tents over the years and the Terrapod is a fabulous roof tent. Plus its light enough to easily switch it over to my new Defender 110 when I want to take that truck on a camping trip and don't want to drag the Eriba Puck travel trailer.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #950376 24th Apr 2022 8:28pm
cyberhusky

Luxembourg 
@JackW

Impressive story.
Thx for sharing.

Unfortunately the tents aren't available here in Europe. Until now I like my Yakima tent, setup takes 10-15 minutes. Especially rolling up the protection cover very tight to fix it. As for the rest I'm happy. Packing takes 20-30 minutes. I'm not tall 5Ft 6" it's a pain to put the cover back.

It's my first experience with a rooftent. Next version will be a hardcase one like yours. But I have to go for the doublesize as my wife travels with me. 22MY Defender 110 (actual) | 10MY Freelander 2 (history) | 15MY Discovery Sport HSE (history)
Post #950390 24th Apr 2022 9:20pm
JackW

My Maggiolina was a great tent that I enjoyed using for ten years and hundreds of nights spent in it. I would highly recommend them to anyone. It was bigger and heavier than I really needed but I would still have it today if I didn't get the opportunity to get the Terrapod.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #950399 25th Apr 2022 4:17am
therso

United Kingdom 
I like the Eriba. I tow a 2004 Troll 540GT Very Happy
Post #950465 25th Apr 2022 1:07pm
GreenMonster

United States 
Post #968372 20th Oct 2022 3:28am
Lightwater

Australia 
Look for any gaps close together or a couple of edges close together which may line up. A bit like the situation when one blows over a wine bottle, it will make a noise.

Our custom made roof rack setup doesn't make any noise, but there are no edges lining up to create a noise.

P.S. Put half a twist in ratchet tie down strap webbing if you use them to stop the webbing vibrating. Visitor - Freelander owner
Post #970854 12th Nov 2022 8:22am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1