↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Defender brakes pulling to one side.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
M94PUMA

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Tonga Green
Defender brakes pulling to one side.
Hi all,
Defender has been in to the local LR garage and has had both swivels overhauled.
They had to replace nearside (left) front brake flexi pipe and copper pipe to the calliper, the offside (right) didn’t get replaced as it wasn’t required.
The vehicle now pulls heavily to the nearside under braking.

Is it worth replacing the same parts on the offside front and hope it will brake straight again?
Or just worth bleeding up the offside calliper incase any air got in doing the other side?
Cheers

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #949539 16th Apr 2022 8:35am
jfh

South Africa 2007 Defender 110 300 Tdi SW Chawton White
Air in the system or one tyre with less pressure.
Post #949552 16th Apr 2022 9:29am
Mossberg

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Aintree Green
Re: Defender brakes pulling to one side.
How old is your brake fluid? If its 3 years or older it may be worth doing a full fluid change and a full system bleed - kill two birds with one stone so to speak.
Post #949593 16th Apr 2022 8:29pm
I Like Old Skool

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi ST Coniston Green
Bit of a misconception here. Old brake fluid isn't really a problem to instantaneous brake performance, but....

Old fluid may have absorbed moisture and this is not good for two reasons. First and the immediate problem when it occurs is that moisture contaminated fluid boils at a much lower temp than fresh fluid, so push on a bit enthusiastically and get the brakes nice and hot then you may find that your brake lines are suddenly full of vapour rather than incompressible fluid. This is bad!
Second is that the fluid with high moisture content is corrosive so can cause seized pistons or calipers as well as damage in the master cylinder. This is also bad.

If the brake pedal feels normal my money would be on contaminated brakes on one side, failing suspension bushes or really bad tracking.
Post #949605 16th Apr 2022 10:33pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Another possibility is that the brakes hoses are breaking down internally reducing the bore of the hose and restricting the flow of fluid. Replacing the n/s hose would then allow greater pressure to the n/s caliper. If so, replacing the o/s would solve the issue.

It is a rare event but one I have met perhaps twice in the last 45 years. It might be worth checking if you can't find anything else

If the garage returned it to you with an obvious brake fault (which they really should have found) I'd be inclined to invite them to sort it out.
Post #949606 16th Apr 2022 10:40pm
Mossberg

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Aintree Green
I Like Old Skool wrote:
Bit of a misconception here. Old brake fluid isn't really a problem to instantaneous brake performance, but....

Old fluid may have absorbed moisture and this is not good for two reasons. First and the immediate problem when it occurs is that moisture contaminated fluid boils at a much lower temp than fresh fluid, so push on a bit enthusiastically and get the brakes nice and hot then you may find that your brake lines are suddenly full of vapour rather than incompressible fluid. This is bad!
Second is that the fluid with high moisture content is corrosive so can cause seized pistons or calipers as well as damage in the master cylinder. This is also bad.

If the brake pedal feels normal my money would be on contaminated brakes on one side, failing suspension bushes or really bad tracking.

I didn't mean old fluid would cause the brakes to pull, just that if the full system is being bled you may as well do a fluid change if it is due. My apologies if I have made it seam otherwise.
Post #949609 16th Apr 2022 11:19pm
matchap801

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver
I would check and see how badly sieved the callipers pistons are on the left! The right hand flexi is probably expanding with braking putting more effort into the left calliper thank the right.
I would certainly put a new flexi on the right, but also check the pads and calliper pistons. 2009 Defender 90 CSW 2.4 TDCI.
Ex Army Mechanic still living the dream.
Post #949636 17th Apr 2022 11:49am
Buttons

Ireland 
M94PUMA wrote:
Hi all,
Defender has been in to the local LR garage and has had both swivels overhauled.
They had to replace nearside (left) front brake flexi pipe and copper pipe to the calliper, the offside (right) didn’t get replaced as it wasn’t required.

Is it worth replacing the same parts on the offside front and hope it will brake straight again?
Or just worth bleeding up the offside calliper incase any air got in doing the other side?
Cheers

If there was no fault prior to the work being carried out then the LR garage did not carry out the work correctly. Bring it back to correct the work to the required LR specification.
This is a series safety issue, don't drive the car and deal with the dealer direct.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #949701 18th Apr 2022 12:01am
Procta

United Kingdom 
M94PUMA wrote:
Hi all,

Cheers

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

When me and my dad do jobs like this, we do both sides, just to iron out problems like this happening. But 1st before you go down the channels on replacement parts, id take it back to them and tell them, that you have this problem now, since they have done this work. Just in case they have cocked up with something. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #949703 18th Apr 2022 1:27am
kenzle8a

I would also put the standard oil filled steering damper back on to check its not the bilstein one creating a push effect as its gas filled, there’s been similar issues caused by then before.

Post #949711 18th Apr 2022 7:35am
Buttons

Ireland 
Thumbs Up
Post #949810 19th Apr 2022 12:20am
roel

Netherlands 2003 Defender 90 Td5 PU Caledonian Blue
My bet is on stuck or partly stuck brake calipers.

I would:
1. push the brake pads from the the disc. You can do this wheel by wheel. You might find one taking more effort then the other.
2. If you find one that goes difficult push that one in and push out with the brake pedal. do this a few times and you might feel it will go more easy after a few time.
You can have more movement when using a worn brake pad. But use a brake pad otherwise you might pump out the piston to far and damage the seals.

I do this with all my cars when changing wheels to prevent stuck calipers. Roel

1984 90 2.5 na Diesel - RR V8 (1994-2001)
1997 Camel Trophy Discovery 300TDI (2001-2009)
2005 G4 Discovery III 4.4 V8 (2008-2018) It's gone but it still hurts.
2003 90 Td5 (2009-now)
Post #949831 19th Apr 2022 11:48am
I Like Old Skool

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi ST Coniston Green
Just wondering if you managed to resolve this yet? Would be interesting to know what the issue/fix was in the end.
Post #950134 22nd Apr 2022 4:20pm
spudfan

Ireland 
Possibly brake fluid leak.When brakes are applied they fail to grip then the fluid clears then they grip. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #950930 28th Apr 2022 10:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1