Home > Td5 > Down shifting difficult
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
phillips321

2005 Defender 110 2.5 TD DCPU Belize Green
Down shifting difficult
Hi all,

Had my 110 2005 TD5 for a few months now. Have done a full gearbox oil change hoping it would sort the problem but still hasn’t.

I find it difficult to down shift gears when coming to a stop or roundabout. Once stationary the gears change fine, but if I’m in 4th approaching a roundabout and slowing down I might want to select 2nd so should a gap present I’m in the right gear to pull off. However it’s often difficult to down shift.

Any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks in advance for any pointers or tips.
Post #939959 28th Jan 2022 11:25pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
To an extent it could just be the nature of the R380 gearbox, which is a balky and unrefined unit on the whole, although some are better or worse than others. They are also oil-dependent, LR specified a particular oil, MTF94, to get round some of the issues. Many people swear by more modern alternatives (search the forum for "MTF94" to find quite a lot of info).

It could be a clutch-related problem, although the fact that you say that it's ok stationary suggests not. It could be due to worn synchro hubs/rings in the box. Overall I'm afraid it's difficult to diagnose without driving, and may not be easy even then. Dare I say that if it is your first R380 it could be an "expectation" issue.

Every R380 I have driven has always worked better if downchanges are double-declutched (in fact out of force of habit I always ddc downchanges on manual 'boxes of any age, there is no downside and many upsides), so as a first step I'd try this. It may solve all your problems.
Post #939965 29th Jan 2022 12:03am
kenzle8a

I think the shifter design has a lot to answer for as well. I’ve got an R380 in my TD5 and I’ve got the slick shift fitted which did help. I’ve also driven two R380s I’m father in laws Morgans both of which are a lot easier to shift with due to the placement of the shifter
Post #939966 29th Jan 2022 12:11am
Leamreject

Italy 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Fuji White
Mine does the same but improves when it gets warm. Wondering if a gearbox oil treatment might help?

Molyslip or a slick50… any thoughts? Ride like you stole it!!
If I’m not on a bike it’s because only a 4x4 will do…
2011 2.4 Puma 90 HT
Post #939986 29th Jan 2022 7:15am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Reivilo

South Africa 
Any success sorting your down shift problem without ddc yet?

From cold start my gears shift down just fine for the 1st few kms. However after approx 50kms I experience the same problem coming down from 5th to 4th/3rd for speeds in excess of 50-60km/h. With gearbox warmed up finding R is also difficult without ddc.

On advise of a reputable local LR service agent I recently exchanged old ML94 oil (strong burnt smell, luckily without any sign of metal-gear grit in it) with ATF. For the 1st 1000kms thereafter it shifted slick but now the stubborn stiffness "problem" is back and quite frustrating gearing down at inclines or overtaking.

Reivilo (Western Cape, South Africa)
Post #957277 4th Jul 2022 6:14pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Using your brakes to slow down is always better, pads and discs are cheaper and easier to replace than a gearbox.
Wink
Post #957281 4th Jul 2022 7:36pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
lt will most likely be the clutch, l've had this on all but one of the Defenders l've owned, a new clutch transformed the gear change quality every time.

l had a 300tdi that was a nightmare to get into first gear when hot, gearboxes and "selector top replacement" was suggested but after a new clutch was fitted it was perfect.

Similar, our 2004 TD5 okay when cold, hard to change down when hot.
And our other TD5, a 2003, similar issues.
Post #957350 5th Jul 2022 1:00pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Swapping out standard oil to fully synthetic oil improved my box.
Post #957353 5th Jul 2022 1:10pm
Reivilo

South Africa 
Most En-lightning, thank you!!!

I inspected the bell house nuts and it seems untouched - so I added "check clutch" to my growing to do list.

Meanwhile I'll keep exercising my ddc muscles...
Post #957371 5th Jul 2022 5:17pm
Penfold_6290

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
Where is the clutch bite point relative to the bottom of the stroke? You can adjust this by moving the position of the pedal relative to the clutch MC push rod, you need to sacrifice a couple of 13mm spanners to do this without a struggle. The spanners need to be ground down with a grinder so they fit in the assembly and can turn the nuts. You might just find a little bit of 'extra pedal' disengages the clutch by the required amount.

I've always slowed on the brakes then give the engine a small 'blip' on the throttle while changing down a gear, it's just habit and I even do it in my Passat. Not a full on crash gearbox double declutch but I find the gears do snick in nicer.

Another thing to check is the gear stick throw when shifted into neutral. The bias springs should line the stick up perfectly to slot into 3rd or 4th, if they're a bit tired or the turret is badly worn you may find you're forcing the gear stick as it is not resting in the correct position between 3rd and 4th.
Post #957688 8th Jul 2022 11:05am
Reivilo

South Africa 
Hello Penfold,

As it sits my clutch stroke seems just fine, not too high nor low. And the shifter is sturdy running the gates smoothly going up through the gears. My semi-difficulty is definitely related to running a warm gearbox, and funny enough not ALL the time/drive.

"Thanks to Mr. Putin purring the throttle and/or ddc becomes all the more expensive... my foot seams to have developed a gaspedalfobia (same as my wallet)."

But thanks for the tips and help.
Post #957697 8th Jul 2022 1:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1