↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Does a 'no drilling required' Snorkel Exist?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Lishlandy

England 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 X-Tech LE Orkney Grey
Does a 'no drilling required' Snorkel Exist?
Hi all,

I have been looking on the normal LR parts sites, Devon, Trek Overland, Equipe etc and cannot for the life of me find a snorkel that doesnt require drilling into the bodywork.

Do they exist? I have been assured that they do but cannot seem to find one. I do want a snorkel and not a raised air intake (unless it can be sealed also).

Can anyone point me in the right direction or confim that I am dreaming? Very Happy

Steve ===================================
Steve
90 xs sw in Stonoway Grey - Sold
110 USW X-TECH
Post #947926 3rd Apr 2022 8:48pm
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
I don't know if one does, but I'd be surprised as they all anchor to the a pillar. In theory you could bond it, but that comes with its own issues.
Post #947930 3rd Apr 2022 9:05pm
Roy5695

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Indus Silver
I bonded my bracket to the windscreen frame with sikaflex. Stayed on there a few years and was pretty hard to remove when I took the snorkel off.

Shame I didn’t bond it to the wing 🤦‍♂️ As I now have three holes in it 😂 2011 Defender DCPU 2.2 - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic30623.html

Instagram - @r22oyp

Roy
Post #947932 3rd Apr 2022 9:09pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I think the short answer is no - they all require a bracket on the windscreen pillar. The slightly longer answer is that you can fit that bracket with something like Sikaflex rather than bolting it on. If you ever came to remove it then the paint would probably need some attention, but no holes. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #947933 3rd Apr 2022 9:14pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
you can get some that go into the wing top vent rather than side vent, together with a gutter clamp this could provide zero drilling DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #947953 4th Apr 2022 7:36am
Wolfie831

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 300 Tdi ST Nato Green
Re: Does a 'no drilling required' Snorkel Exist?
Lishlandy wrote:
Hi all,

I have been looking on the normal LR parts sites, Devon, Trek Overland, Equipe etc and cannot for the life of me find a snorkel that doesnt require drilling into the bodywork.

Do they exist? I have been assured that they do but cannot seem to find one. I do want a snorkel and not a raised air intake (unless it can be sealed also).

Can anyone point me in the right direction or confim that I am dreaming? Very Happy

Steve

Yes - Don’t fit one of those stupid looking chimneys at all - restricts airflow, looks daft, and barely ever used - simplezzz !
Post #947955 4th Apr 2022 8:03am
Lishlandy

So looks like Safari Snorkel and Sikaflex it is. Bit of paint touch up over holes sounds like a good compromise. I'll also have a look at the gutter clamps. Any idea where they can be found LR?

I want the snorkel as it is a leisure vehicle that I am mainly going to off road and green lane. I am looking for the confidence when approach water crossings that I wont drown it. ===================================
Steve
110 USW X-TECH
Post #947960 4th Apr 2022 8:49am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
There are very few places in the UK where you need an RAI to keep water out, and they tend to be on rather "hardcore" routes. You will be surprised how deep you can ford a standard Defender if you know what you are doing - the bow wave can come over the wings and it is still ok (a little exciting though, it must be admitted).

Remember also that if you want waterproofness you will need to replace the pipework from the wing intake to the airbox and replace the airbox itself, and also fit extended breathers to the axles, transmission, and fuel tank.

All in all a couple of small, easily-pluggable holes in the A-pillar really isn't much of an issue.
Post #947961 4th Apr 2022 9:10am
dotom

Germany 
There does exist a solution which is fitted under the window block, you can see it here https://entreq.de/produkte/erhoehte-luftansaugung-schnorchel/
Don't know if it's available as it says it's out of stock. But maybe you can find a way
Best regards
Tom Defender 90 XS, 10-2015, Corris grey
Post #947986 4th Apr 2022 2:11pm
Lishlandy

Thats exactly what I am looking for. Thanks Dotom, I'll see if Brendan can get hold of one if he's still the UK seller for Entreq or drop them an email.

Thank you for the help all.

Steve #wolvesdontlikesnorkels Bow down ===================================
Steve
110 USW X-TECH
Post #948055 4th Apr 2022 8:57pm
JPE

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Some require drilling into the wing around the air intake, as well as the window frame. I went for one which only required drilling into the window frame. I had no idea I could stick it on! I figure that if for some reason I ever decide to remove it, I’ll be able to fill the holes & make the frame good. There’s a suggestion that such a device might not be entirely essential in the UK. I don’t agree. I fitted mine not as a snorkel for wading, but rather as a raised air intake to keep all the dust out of the engine whilst cruising the expansive UK sand prairies & South Gloucestershire dirt plains. Definitely essential kit, which happens to also look cool. Embarrassingly when I have been green laning, I’ve had to own up to the leader that it’s not all sealed in the engine bay so I need to avoid water despite it appearing that I have a snorkel.
Post #948064 4th Apr 2022 9:23pm
Ratty43

United Kingdom 
blackwolf wrote:

Remember also that if you want waterproofness you will need to replace the pipework from the wing intake to the airbox and replace the airbox itself, and also fit extended breathers to the axles, transmission, and fuel tank.

All in all a couple of small, easily-pluggable holes in the A-pillar really isn't much of an issue.

This is a sensible comment. For my money, assuming your intake is on the driver's side, the Safari V8 snorkel is a good option as it comes with a length of pipe that connects direct to the can style air filter boxes.
Post #948066 4th Apr 2022 9:30pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I have seen some before that exit out of the wingtop vent, I assume custom made with tubing. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #948068 4th Apr 2022 9:32pm
Wolfie831

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 300 Tdi ST Nato Green
Lishlandy wrote:
So looks like Safari Snorkel and Sikaflex it is. Bit of paint touch up over holes sounds like a good compromise. I'll also have a look at the gutter clamps. Any idea where they can be found LR?

I want the snorkel as it is a leisure vehicle that I am mainly going to off road and green lane. I am looking for the confidence when approach water crossings that I wont drown it.

Check out Nugget Stuff fully enclosed air boxes and sealed induction system….those are the weak points, doesn’t matter how high the stack is if the system ain’t sealed, I only offer this because you said you wanted to be confident, a nicely placed (removable) snorkel will not cut it….and if you are heading off road, why bother about the paintwork !!! Paint is the last thing on my mind when plowing through 3 feet of mud or traversing a boulder field ?
Post #948090 4th Apr 2022 10:51pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
custom90steve wrote:
I have seen some before that exit out of the wingtop vent, I assume custom made with tubing.

Like this?

Click image to enlarge
Post #948096 5th Apr 2022 12:28am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>