↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Puma clear indicators & Wipac Crystals - shopping list h
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Puma_MOG

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Thought I would ask here vs. opening a new thread.

Interesting info on the general topic of lighting and in particular, the upgraded wiring loom.

Speaking of, does anyone know if anyone is supplying the Landreiziger loom here in the UK? I did try Google and on here but can't seem to find anything.

https://landreiziger.nl/product/lichtverst...nnectoren/

Thanks!

P
Post #1030283 2nd Apr 2024 9:45pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I bought direct, you can make your own if you wanted to though. (I like Durite Relays with Diode, just my preference). Very Happy

I bought it just because it was easier, even though I had LED headlights, I didn’t have a great need for it.
All the same it’s backwards / forwards compatible, and even with LED headlights it still further reduces the load through the switch significantly.
With the loom it means the load though the switch is only a max of around 300mA or 0.3A.
LED is a few Amps. Often 2.5 to 4A.
5.7A - 9A @12.2v Approx with standard incandescent headlights with a max wattage of 55w EA.

So reducing that down to a mere 0.3A or 300 MilliAmperes and under is ideal.
That will extend the life of the switches pretty much indefinitely. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1030400 3rd Apr 2024 7:39pm
Puma_MOG

Thank you Custom90!

I will be getting this ordered today.

I like the idea of LED but personally not liking the look of the headlamp units. Like the OP, I will likely get Crystals and better H4 bulbs.

I've looked at the OEM units but the price is astronomical for my liking...
Post #1030402 3rd Apr 2024 7:46pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
If you go the Incandescent route with Crystals then they are very good value for money and you’ll get better performance with the loom. A side by side comparison will show that.
When I had those I used Philips H4 performance bulbs standard wattage, they were good.
Thumbs Up

Best to align them as best you can or to spec after, as there is a lot of talk about headlight glare around lately.
You’ll like the results once complete, back at the time I checked the output of standard to the upgrade one headlight to the other and visually the performance was there so it’s a good choice.
Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1030405 3rd Apr 2024 7:55pm
Puma_MOG

Thanks again Custom90.

I recall on my first 90 just how horrible it was but sold it before I got it sorted. I've got a Morgan with the same headlights but in a much worse way due to the retro design. Case of style of substance. So it can only get better Smile

Post #1030410 3rd Apr 2024 8:06pm
PauloA

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Oslo Blue
An interesting side effect of fitting LED headlamps is they don't get hot enough to melt snow when driving, if that's a problem for you?! You can get them with heated lenses on some high-end headlamps but that adds further complexity and cost. Driving at night with snow-blocked headlamps (or stopping every couple of miles to scoop the snow off them!) wasn't great fun!!

I went with Wipac Crystals and Osram Nightbreakers on my current 90 and I've ended up replacing them every 6-7 years as they do fall apart after a while but they're cheap enough. I've got LED units everywhere else on the Landy because I couldn't stop the water getting into the original lights and they're brighter and more reliable, especially as they're 'plug-and-play' with standard connectors on 300Tdi and later. Cheers,

Paul
Post #1033448 30th Apr 2024 9:23pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Crystals are very good value for money and for performance, snow isn’t an issue with LED though to me.
If you use rain x, that means the snow falls off anyway unless it is very very heavy snow and sub zero.
There is some residual warmth, but if it was under -5.C then it might be an issue.
If you were in a location where that would be common then that could be a problem.

That happens very rarely in the U.K. Except some areas.

The trouble is with the heated ones, is they are even more extortionately expensive and they don’t look that great, might have been improved upon though.
Waterproofing is an issue to remember as well.

Personally I wouldn’t consider anything other than Crystals, upgrade bulbs and upgrade loom,
Nolden LED or JW Spesker LED.
Trucklite are probably okay too.

As always it’s all personal choice, for value and performance I think Crystals come out on top.
I like my Noldens, but they cost more than they should but I like the look of them, they perform well and have been faultless.

If I had any issues or damage, I’d probably go to Crystals simply because the LED prices are overboard. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1033532 1st May 2024 6:39pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12