↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Anyone fitted a Wright Off Road mat to a PUMA?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Gasket

Anyone fitted a Wright Off Road mat to a PUMA?
Hi Folks.

The rain has cleared and the time has come for me to fit the lovely Wright Off Road acoustic mat to my Puma that has sat in the garage for over a year now.

I also bought the pre-cut Dynamat sets for the bulkhead and seat box (DA8083 and DA8084).

So, this weekend the plan is to remove everything, clean up with panel wipe, fit the Dynamat and then fit the Wright Off Road kit over the top. My theory is that using the pre-cut Dynamat in the key resonation places (rather than using sheets to completely cover the bulkhead and footwells) will keep the corners and seams clear so that the moulded mat isn't trying to stretch over Dynamat.

Anyway, I digress - the question is, has anyone ever fitted this kit to their Puma defender? I know plenty of people have done it in LT77 and R380 vehicles, but I've never actually seen one in a Puma.

I ask as I'm curious to see if there are any fitment issues or if it is a good idea to buy any Puma specific fasteners or fixings in advance in case these are broken or need to be removed. Basically I'm looking for tips and tricks.
Post #946967 25th Mar 2022 9:38am
steveww

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Bronze Green
I've not done this myself but I am considering doing what you're about to do. Please write up a report on the fitting process and the results. Does it make much difference to the noise level?
Post #946969 25th Mar 2022 9:45am
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
I have done two, nothing specific springs to mind other than they take far longer than you may think and do the large piece with two people otherwise they can rip around the heater output area. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #947124 26th Mar 2022 4:55pm
ScarboroughSeadog

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 DCPU Keswick Green
Just fitted one to my 2.2 Puma. Started at 5.30am on Saturday with the view I'd be done in time to have breakfast with the family..... Very Happy
2 days later and a trip to the osteopath..... and we are getting there Thumbs Up
Joking apart its a much more time consuming job than it seems. Main thoughts:
DON'T accidentally cut out the witness mark for the left hand drive handbrake position.....
DON'T assume the witness marks for cutting out are in exactly the correct positions
DO be careful levering it over/under the thin plastic gear lever surround box- which breaks easily
DO take your time- its the sort of job that is more enjoyable when tackled in stages rather than getting stressed in one very long session of contorting into difficult positions with a heavy mat and a stanley knife.
A 35mm step drill bit is really useful for neatening up any holes
Pretty sure it will look great when finished
Post #964412 8th Sep 2022 3:25pm
ChrisDefender

United Kingdom 
I have fitted one to a 2.4 puma and I have to say it is a great bit of kit, really neat and much better than the basic hardura stuff and in my opinion better than carpet for keeping clean. Certainly helped reduce the noise and heat transfer in the cab.

However, as above it was a pig to fit Shocked
Took two of us best part of a day faffing about, it weights a ton and is not easy to manhandle. The cut/hole guides on mine were not accurate, so lay it in and measure before making any holes, and yes a step drill is a good help.

On the whole though well worth the effort, just make sure you have plenty of tea bags and biscuits to keep your frustration levels down! Thumbs Up
Post #964415 8th Sep 2022 3:53pm
steveww

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Bronze Green
I just fitted their flat sheet matting to the rear of my 110. I agree with the previous comments, it's an arse of a job, it's heavy to handle and tough to cut. However, after a lot of swearing and EVO Stick I'm very happy with the result and it's reduced the noise level considerably.

The matting has a release agent on it when you get it. For it to stick down properly this needs to be removed. I used Screwfix heavy duty degreaser and some elbow grease.

Click image to enlarge
Post #964470 9th Sep 2022 11:52am
silvermilnec

England 
Agree with all the above. Only thing I’ll add and it might be too late but we used a large hole punch with a hammer and a good piece of wood for the holes needed for all the bolts👍
For me biggest results keeping cool in summer warm in winter and easy to clean
Post #965584 20th Sep 2022 11:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1